A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make your own pincushion and scrap bag for your sewing table - with tutorial  (Read 2294 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arachnes thumb
« on: December 12, 2011 06:00:09 PM »

Sooo, back when I was in college, I had a work-study job in the theater department costume shop.  Our wonderful boss (from whom I gained an incredible amount of knowledge about crafting, sewing and where to buy the best pastries) had us make these ingenious little bags for our sewing stations. 

I recently got the inkling to try and make one again, this time for a swap that I am doing with friends. 

The result was not so bad!

The top part is used as a pin-cushion (hence the pins sticking out of it), while the bottom is used for throwing away scraps of fabric and thread that are trimmed off of items as you sew. 

I hope that some of you fellow crafty-types can find this idea useful.  At the time, I thought it was such an amazing invention - maybe I was just young and impressionable.  Or maybe it's really soooo fantastic.  You decide. 

Okay, enough chit-chat.  Tutorial, here we come.....

I started with some scrap fabric that I had sitting around - cotton gingham/calico for the lining (something soft, thin) and some old jeans for the outside (something sturdy). 

I cut out 2 squares of each fabric - about 9.5 inches X 9.5 inches. 

Then, you sew a small bag out of each of the pieces of fabric. 

Do this by putting the right sides of the fabric together and sewing along three edges, leaving one edge open. 

Then, box the corners to make the bottom of the bag more square and dimensional. 

I can't really explain very well how to do this, but if you're unsure, I bet YouTube has some amazing tutorials!   Wink

This is what it should look like when both corners are "boxed". 

Repeat this process for the liner bag with the cotton fabric. 

Now you should have two bags that look very similar. 

Now stop and admire the cute little bags you have made.  They're so little and adorable!!  And wow, that was really pretty easy.  Consider taking a short break, but really you are almost done, so just keep going......

Time to make the straps.  To make the straps, I cut 1.5 inches off the top of each bag, top-stitched the denim and cotton together, folded both edges in (the long edges) and sewed them down. 

It's not too pretty, but it works. 

Now, (flip the liner bag inside out, so that the right side is inside, wrong side is outside) and tuck the top raw edges of both bags down about 1/2 inch and pin them together.  Pin the straps between the liner and outside about 4 inches apart.  Sew together all along the top edge. 

Now to make the pincushion part.  You want to use a piece of fabric that is sturdy, but soft. You don't want the pins to destroy the fabric, but you also don't want the fabric to make your pins all dull.  Upholstery fabric or corduroy work pretty well.  I chose a piece of corduroy that I had sitting around that just happened to be the right size.  About 9.5 inches X 4.5 - 5 inches should work. 

Fold it in half lengthwise, with the right sides together, wrong side on the outside.  Now sew along the two short edges, and about 2 inches in on each side of the long open edge.  I left part open to attach the straps and to stuff the pin-cushion. 

Turn right side out. 

It's probably easiest if you pin the straps in now and sew them down (4 inches apart, again), and leave about 2 inches open between them to stuff in the rocks (to weight the pin-cushion down) and the batting.  I, however, am not that smart.   Undecided I stuffed the thing first, and then had a heck of a time trying to get the fluffy bundle to fit under the presser-foot of my sewing machine.  That is so typical of me, though I'm sure you're all a lot smarter, so....

Anyway, in the costume shop, we made little nylon bags filled with sand, but I am not that fancy (or well-equipped) at home, so I had to work with what I had at home.  So, I used rocks and wool batting to stuff the pin cushion.   

And, guess what??? TA-DA!!!

You're done!  And you have a functional little thing to place next to your sewing machine. 

Thanks for looking and hopefully someone will find this useful! Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011 01:56:33 AM »

It's a great idea and I intend to try it, (although maybe after Christmas). Thank you so much for the detailed tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011 06:42:39 AM »

These have been around for years and cost a lot of money to buy in the stores or craft fairs!  I think it is great that you made one for yourself and took the time to make a tutorial for anyone who wants to try this very practical project!

I love that you used what you had and recycled some things!  Stones would make a good weight instead of sand...

thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arachnes thumb
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011 04:58:42 PM »

Thanks for the positive notes!  I totally think that everyone should have one of these next to their sewing machine - they're so practical, and easy to make. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EllaRain
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011 06:04:16 PM »

I so need this next to my sewing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Video Improvements - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Peachpit TV: Grid View in Bridge CS4
Refining Edges in Photoshop
Peachpit TV: Photoshop CS4 Camera Raw Vignette Tip
Managing Large Files in CS4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...