A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitty-A-Long ~ Cat Blankets for Donation  (Read 3935 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Horse Power
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2005 05:58:29 PM »

VaxGirl: I'm making one out of crochet, too, it is faster. Good idea about taking food!
ctgirl: I've been "meaning to do this" for a long time, too... it's fun to finally be doing it.
useratl: yep, I called mine, they said it was OK.....
AutumnSage: it's not too late, we just got started!

I'm about halfway through the k2p2 ribbing one, as soon as I finish it and the crochet one I will take the 3 of them in.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005 09:17:41 AM »

I did it! I finished five blankets and took them to the shelter this morning, along with a bag of dry food.  I talked briefly with the lady there, she said that knitted things were acceptable, that every once in awhile someone would bring in a blanket. Mine were all about 12 x 14 inches, I asked if that was a good size, she said they were, that they would go in cat carriers, so I will try to make the next ones I do fit a carrier.

So, two were knitted, three were crocheted with this pattern (using 32 ch):
http://www.projectlinus.org/pattern1.htm

^ This is a great pattern ~ fast and pretty, although I had to fiddle a bit with the edging until I got it just right, but after doing three of them I think I have a system now.   Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ming
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005 02:01:00 PM »

I just wanted to let everyone who is participating in this project know that I am very thankful for your time and dedication. I don't really know how to knit or crochet (yet... it's on my list of things to learn), but all of your hardwork is very inspirational. All the kitties who have received a blankie are thankful for your kind hearts.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2005 10:27:23 PM »

Those look fabulous Horse Power!  I was taught how to crochet a year ago and I have since forgotten... except how to make a chain, I remember that.  I'm mostly finished with the bamboo stitch knit, but it turned out smaller than expected so I'm adding a nice border to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Current swaps: Vintage Halloween 2014, OTT October Holidays 6
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005 09:44:46 PM »

Finally!  I had told myself that I would work on one thing at a time and yeah, that fell apart.  So.  This is finished.  But it's just one!  Well, I'll know better next time.  I used a strand of brown/green yarn and a strand of cream.  I knitted up the middle using the bamboo knit pattern.  It feels really thick and comfortable--it would be a good knit for a full size blanket.  This picture is of the "wrong" side, since I like it better.  I used a crab stitch to crochet the maroon around the edge since the number of cast-ons was large, but deceiving because it shrank.  Well, I haven't crocheted much and the edges ended up flipping up and making it look more like a bed than a blanket.  Some lucky kitty will get to snuggle in it!  I'm planning on making more, but not just yet.  I have to knock some of these projects off before I start another new thing.  Thanks for the KAL!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006 06:09:46 PM by irid3sc3nt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Current swaps: Vintage Halloween 2014, OTT October Holidays 6
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
Horse Power
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2005 04:46:45 AM »

Irid3sc3nt: That is the most wonderful cat bed! It looks very comfortable and just the sort of thing a cat would love to get on.  Grin

I had to go look up bamboo knit stitch because I hadn't heard of it before...... it is really cute and looks perfect for varigated yarn.

Ming: you are very kind for giving encouragement to the knitalong! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debzzzbee
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2005 07:28:35 PM »

This is a great discussion! I actually e-mailed the poundmaster of my local shelter a few months ago and asked if they accepted these type of donations for hand-made blankets. Much to my surprise I recieved a response the next day and the answer was an overwhelming 'Yes" . I plan to knit/crochet a few of these this fall with my scrap yarn stash and donate them along with some old towels, food bowls, toys I find on sale, treats,  etc.  As long as the blankie is durable and washable its very useful. I have some kitchen-cotton yarn I make small hand towels/cloths from so I have that in mind as well to make & donate. I like the idea of using 2 strands to knit/crochet for a flufflier type blankie..Im going to do that. I encourage everyone to contact their local or state animal shelter and participate in this. I love animals! I have a cat, dog, (bird & fish) One of my next fall projects is to also make a winter cage cover for my 'lil pet bird. He likes to be cozy!

P.S. Dont forget the pups when your making blankies to donate. Dogs have feelings too!

P.S.S. Also dont forget people....WarmUpAmerica project. *Some JoAnns stores have Free workshops on this project in October !* See link below or your local JoAnn store project/activity/class flyer for details if a store near you participates in this.

Warm Up America main link
http://www.warmupamerica.com/home.html

JoAnns Event calendar (may not give info on WarmUpAmerica... according to your zip code)
http://www.joann.com/about_joann/about_joann_stores.jhtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowwhitesuicide
Thrash&Burn

Another twenty-something knitter with an attitude.

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2005 06:26:22 PM »

This sounds like a fabulous way to use up all the acrylic yarn I have!! I'm in! The pattern site listed is down right now...boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joygoddess
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2005 06:51:47 AM »

Yeah, I just printed out a pattern for my first kitty blanket and will start on it ASAP!  Grin

It's awesome to knit for a good cause.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ruth Reichl Talks About Her New Book
Andrew D. Kaufman on Tolstoy and War and Peace
Top 10 Notes: The Old Man and the Sea
Bruce Allen Murphy: The Book That Changed My Life
Christopher Leonard: The Book That Changed My Life
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...