A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: smoke allergies  (Read 7386 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HolaKitty

The nectar of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012 03:51:29 PM »

But does it matter, really? Shouldn't someone who doesn't want crafts that smell of smoke just be partnered with someone who doesn't smoke, regardless of whether that smoke is going to cause them severe physical harm or whether it just means they're going to discard the craft out because it reeks and they don't like the smell?

Of course someone should get a package that suits their needs. I'm not sure if you read my other posts but I used my situation as an example... I don't smoke. No one is allowed to smoke in my house so when I fill out questionnaires I say I have a smoke free home. However, I  have people over frequently who do smoke (again, not in my house but in their own lives or outside in the garden if they must). If a swap partner is highly sensitive to smoke, so much so that a piece of fabric or yarn that had at some point been in close proximity to someone who smells of smoke could set off some sort of asthma attack or severe reaction, then it makes sense to make that clear. I certainly don't think that anyone I'm partnered with would have to discard something I made because it reeks of smoke, however if someone is very sensitive to it, I would take extra precautions to make sure there was absolutely no possibility of "contamination" whatsoever. But I don't think it is realistic to expect non-smoking crafters to halt all contact with their smoking friends and family on the off-chance that their partner *might* have such a condition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

Blog: http://kaylascraftstall.blogspot.com/
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KaylasCraftStall
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/kaylatab/
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012 12:49:00 AM »

I was partnered a long while back with someone that said they did not smoke any longer, washed everything and mid swap started smoking again said outside but when I received my item I have to say I was discussed, pisst off and really beyond irked as I busted my ass and spent a fortune for something she was so excited to have and when I got the box I could not even bring in the house!!I took pic as per swap rules and was very nice and thanked this person and this never came in the house it was so nasty and into the trash it went..  we are non smokers, I have allergies and cant stand the smell it makes me freaking gag but my granddaughter lives with me and she has a tar allergies and it is found in cigs,cigars etc. The stuff that sticks to everything and it is hard as she has classmates she cant go near as they live in smoking homes, and she has to whip things down in class so not to have a cross contamination issue etc... I have it in ALL my ques NO SMOKING at all and if they have outside smokers they must wash hands etc before touching and explain why ( I do this because of the flip way some people are about smoke...)

I have spent days in the hospital with her over some many nasty people in my opinion as they just touch everything and do not ever take other into consideration. This poor kid has to go with to stores and cant touch anything ever, we buy things wash and take back if not right because she is not to have any contact with tar and I cant tell by smelling something all the time She goes to dinnerand we look like crafty germ people as we must whip down everything near her and get the mgr to explain the reaction so they are diligent on the staff and I tip VERY WELL 30-40% for the extra crap they have to do to help make sure this baby girl stays in the land of the crafting and not in a hospital or grave!

as an org I do feel you should get neg feedback if you send something that is clearly stated DO NOT PLEASE and they do send something that clearly they are trying to get over on and send with some freshener or something like that. I have had a few send things to others like a wool hat and it is CLEAR they can not have wool anything ....Resend or take the neg for not following rules..IMO it is that simple on the part of the org if clearly stated in the swap and the rules...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
lylacfey
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012 03:28:11 AM »

Babalina- My heart goes out to your beautiful GD. She always steals my heart when you post swap pics.

I think you explained everything better than I did when I posted. Well, I was a little ticked and affronted when I posted, lol. Smoke allergies are a combination of many things to many people. I am not allergic to cigarettes. I am allergic to additives in cigarettes. You light a cigarette around me and the additives come out in the smoke. Then I am sick. I agree with you NEG feedback. Just because somebody doesn't understand an allergen doesn't make an excuse for them. I also feel Google really is not a medical dictionary.  A partner should never feel uncomfortable or shy because he/she is questioned or even worse Googled over a medical condition. It just makes a bad swap all around and sours the partner on swapping again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012 08:27:06 AM »

What happens in babalina's case? Originally, when her swap began, her partner did not smoke. So it was an appropriate match.
However, the partner then began to smoke, before her package had been mailed off.
Technically, at the time of partnering, she was a non-smoker, but situations changed.
A similar question can be asked of a partner that moves- you were matched based partly on location; further transit means more cost of shipping. Or pets, like a partner that mid-crafting process takes in a cat or dog before the swap has been mailed?
I would THINK if a person knew they might be smoking (moving/ adopting pets etc), they would mention that in the questionaire. But thats only if they knew aheadof time- most smokers who have quit do not plan on picking smoking back up, they certainly don't have a set date they wnat to begin smoking again.
If it turns out your partner suddenly has a change of situation, perhaps they could request a swap angel if it was close to the send date.... or maybe you could request a new partner if its still in crafting phase?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012 09:39:09 AM »

The best thing to do would be to contact the swap organizer as soon as possible before sending to let them know.  There is only so much that can be done sometimes - re-partnering needs to be done quite early on, also both partners can mutually agree to drop the swap if it is okay with the organizer.  A swap angel request does NOT apply for this kind of situation. 

Good communication and thorough answering of swap signups is key for avoiding issues like this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012 09:18:17 AM »

babalina... what if I was swapping with you, (I'm a non-smoker, no one smokes in/near my house), and I bought some supplies at the store. Obvioulsy, I have no way of knowing if someone before me was a smoker and handled those things and left traces of tar.

If I use those supplies in a swap project, would that cause a problem for you or GD?  And, I guess, if yes, the next question... what would/could I as your swap partner do before mailing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012 07:06:00 AM »

babalina... what if I was swapping with you, (I'm a non-smoker, no one smokes in/near my house), and I bought some supplies at the store. Obvioulsy, I have no way of knowing if someone before me was a smoker and handled those things and left traces of tar.

If I use those supplies in a swap project, would that cause a problem for you or GD?  And, I guess, if yes, the next question... what would/could I as your swap partner do before mailing?

Wash hands, and wash fabric or yarn Smiley anything else is not played with but I wipe down with alcohol wipes and removes yuck and air dry QUICK so not cause damage to items and or stain Smiley Yarnie things can be wiped down with alcohol wipes and will not alter and harm before or after made Smiley I did not know this until had to go to a class..It is not just stuff from here but we have to do with all items from everywhere...can you imagine, we go to Panara and I have to whip the silverware and bowls, for napkins I bring my own and straws too if open ....but I would rather do this then mourn at a grave for yet another child as I do this already with one....

( we go to our local restaurant small town place and the owner has a small stack of items for her Smiley he keeps in air sealed container and the staff is diligent about hands etc..they see us coming and the girls whip down the chairs ( I di it if they don't have time I don't feel they should but they do it as they adore her and it is soooo small town here everyone knows everyone and they all take this very serious!!

I wash items when they get to me that I know will be in her bed or played with worn Smiley IF it is something that is not well made, or will fall apart in a wash that is items that goes in the cage ( we made a big wall size cage for her room to toss babies and or animals into and with her 2 air purifiers in the room takes the dust and yuck out and I take them out every week and put in dryer with a some wool balls that were soaked in alcohol takes the smells out, germs, and beats the dust out as per her pulmonologist and cardiologist ( tricks that they use in some children's hospitals and units... some things I dry clean....

it is just a common since thing really for most allergy stricken people. once you know what to do it is great to do foe everyone just 2 extra seconds to whip something down with alcohol as it will kill most allergies, and or remove tar and things like that from the items WIN WIN :0 and the smell goes away as soon as dry....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012 07:13:38 AM »

What happens in babalina's case? Originally, when her swap began, her partner did not smoke. So it was an appropriate match.
However, the partner then began to smoke, before her package had been mailed off.
Technically, at the time of partnering, she was a non-smoker, but situations changed.

I have to say I was irked but what can you do? Nothing at that point but live and learn really I do now think that she should have asked for an angle as completely just FUBARD the whole thing and it was NOT a cheap swap like a tin or something it was large and well.. she did sign as a NON SMOKER and that was the reason we were partnered and then mid swap she does this she did not follow the rule to swap with partner IMO.....

it is a live and learn and my Org cant do the house hop patrol and it was just a SHOCK when I got my package and it was outside and so freaking nasty the box reeked and all inside was tossed it was as if had been stored in a plastic bag with smoke being pumped into it.

Now, I did not push the issue with the org, she did offer to get one but I just said no I did not want her feedback held and or anything like that I was so sad I wanted it over and made my own and that did make me happy so win win...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012 08:20:40 PM »

I fully appreciate that for any reason (health or otherwise) if a person can't be partnered with someone that smokes, or has cats, or eats peanuts, or whatever, that request should be respected by the organizers and swappers. I'm sorry to hear of cases where this has been an issue Sad.

That said, I want to add to this thread that there are plenty of swappers (me included) that don't have allergies or aversions to people who smoke. I hope that the discussion happening here doesn't make those that smoke feel like they aren't welcome or that what they create isn't awesome or appreciated. I'm certain that no one here is trying to suggest that but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hugs to all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
babalina58

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012 07:31:28 PM »

I fully appreciate that for any reason (health or otherwise) if a person can't be partnered with someone that smokes, or has cats, or eats peanuts, or whatever, that request should be respected by the organizers and swappers. I'm sorry to hear of cases where this has been an issue Sad.

That said, I want to add to this thread that there are plenty of swappers (me included) that don't have allergies or aversions to people who smoke. I hope that the discussion happening here doesn't make those that smoke feel like they aren't welcome or that what they create isn't awesome or appreciated. I'm certain that no one here is trying to suggest that but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hugs to all!
I did not really until she moved in but with the kiddos must be that way now..I get sad sometimes I see some AWESOME swappers I would love to partner with but cant really....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Light Sources
How to Choose a Softbox for your Studio
How to Set Up a Pocket Wizard System
Photography Lightening Equipment Review
Basic Principles of Light Usage in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...