A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 316,234
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: smoke allergies  (Read 11073 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 12, 2011 11:09:39 AM »

Twice now I've received items that smell like smoke.   Sad  I'm super allergic and have had breathing issues both times, and even after washing the washable parts I can still smell it.   Not to mention that I have a chemical sensitive young child with lots of allergies who I don't want exposed to even third hand smoke. 

I put in my questionnaire every time, very clearly that we are very allergic to smoke.   I'm allergic to cats too, but not to the extent where it will make me stop breathing (just makes me sneeze) so I don't even include that because I can deal with it, but smoke is something I can't handle!   

So either the organizer partnered me with a smoking home, or the smoking home didn't disclose their status. 

Spraying things with febreeze or airing them out doesn't help me any, the smoke is still there!  (besides my son is allergic to frebreeze and similar)   So if you are a smoker, or if anyone in your house is, or if there is ANY chance your crafted items will be exposed to smoke, please let the organizer know so people who are truly allergic don't get packages that make them sick!    It also sucks because the items I received both times were really nice, I just couldn't use them!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011 01:05:03 PM »

I understand your problems with smoking. I have a similar allergy, although I've narrowed it down a little to not tobacco, but an additive used in all cigarettes, most cigars and some pipe tobacco.

Smokers just don't get it. They seem to think that it's not a problem if they can't smell it and can't understand that
a) their sense of smell is impaired
b) Air freshener makes a room smell of flowers AND cigarettes
c) A tiny amount of ventilation does not get rid of the foul chemicals.

I've not had the problem with a swapper, but I feel your pain. My sympathy to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
tiffi_333
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011 06:22:12 PM »

thats really unfortunate that someone wouldn't mention that they smoke since that question is asked on every swap questionnaire. My only advice since it seems to keep happening to you is to double check their questionnaire just in case the organizer made the mistake, and ask the swapper you're paired with if they smoke to make sure..if you find out they do im sure the organizer would partner you with someone else because that can be a serious issue. It might be a bit of a hassle to always have to do that, but its a lot better than getting something that could harm you and your child.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011 04:38:28 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear that Sad I can't believe someone wouldn't mention they smoke.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
JijiReagan
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012 08:09:17 AM »

I'm new here and not able to join any swaps yet but when i am I'd like to make sure I'm clear on this. I do smoke but never in my house. If i smoke outside and make sure my hands are washed well before i craft will there be traces that are problematic for anyone with allergies? Should i simply say i need to be partnered with someone who has no allergies or sensitivities? I would hate to make something that a partner couldn't use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012 10:05:07 AM »

Everybody with allergies is different.

Even if you never smoke in your house, you exhale some of the compounds for a while after smoking: I find I can't hug my mother-in-law without holding my breath for about an hour after she's had a fag. The stale smoke clings to her clothes and hair all the time, so it can never be a long hug, ever, but the concentration is low enough for me to breathe for a short time after an hour.

It's really difficult to appreciate, but smoking affects the sense of smell such that they cannot detect some of the compounds in the smoke, so a smoker cannot reliably tell whether or not something smells of smoke.

If someone just objects to the smell of smoke, your precautions may well be sufficient, but the best advice is to ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sylwa
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012 12:38:12 PM »

I used to smoke and I could always tell if something was exposed to smoke. I am currently pregnant and don't smoke and don't plan to start again but I have to say that every time my father walks into my house after he had a cigarette the whole house reeks of smoke for hours! And I am not even sensitive to that stuff and can smell it. But there are people that don't mind and cannot smell it. My boyfriend is one of them, he didnt know I smoked for years, how did he not smell it is beyond me, but he just did not.
So I guess I just want to say that maybe the person who crafted the item didnt smoke, maybe they had a surprise visit from a smoker and the crafted item was in the living room area or so. I know this might seem very unlikely but you would be surprised how badly smoke attaches to stuff. My car takes few days to not smell like a bar after I give my dad a ride too, it's just annoying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HolaKitty

The nectar of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012 03:06:32 PM »

I have to say, I'm a bit baffled by all of the smoke allergies I see on Crafster. Never in my entire life had I ever met or spoken to someone who was allergic to smoke until I joined Crafster where it appears to be the single most common allergy! I noticed it straight away after lurking around the swap boards and so I immediately Googled it because I thought "OMG is it that common?!" but couldn't find any verified information confirming it as an actual allergen other than the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America saying it can exacerbate Asthma and other allergies, which seemed kind of obvious anyway.

I myself don't smoke and I certainly wouldn't send an item that had been in a smokey environment to someone who blatently stated that they hate smoke. However I could sympathise with someone who maybe has frequent visitors that smoke, which leaves that horrible smokers' scent lingering, but doesn't consider whether the scent could surreptitiously cling to any fabrics laying around the house. I can't imagine that anyone would go out of their way to ignore a request. Perhaps if it is happening that often and you are that sensitive to it, you need to clearly state that you don't want a partner who even comes into frequent contact with smokers just to be sure that the message is clear and you are actually able to use the items you receive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

Blog: http://kaylascraftstall.blogspot.com/
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KaylasCraftStall
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/kaylatab/
GatorWrangler
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012 10:28:21 PM »

There are people who have other conditions that the smell of smoke can aggravate like asthma, and many other things that are less common like Lupus. Lupus and second hand smoke, even the amount that can come from a swap package, can set off a Lupus flare.  

Also, "Allergy to smoke as well as odor sensitivity can also cause migraine headaches in some people." (http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/triggers-smoking)  These headaches can be very severe and even the smallest amount of smoke causes me to have a headache.

Some people may not have smoke "allergies", however the smell of smoke bothers them in some way.  Instead of having to write a lengthy explanation, some times it is easiest to just put "allergic to smoke" on their questionnaire.  

Smoke allergies are a very real thing, even through second hand smoke.  If you are a smoker, have someone who lives with you who smokes, or have people you know who visit who are smokers, please put it in the questionnaire. And if you are allergic to smoke or it bothers you, it's a good idea to put in in the questionnaire even if allergies aren't requested.  
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012 07:16:26 PM by GatorWrangler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Colleen

My Pinterest
HolaKitty

The nectar of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012 02:28:29 AM »

The point I was trying to make is that people tend to use the term "smoke allergies" quite flippantly.

For example if I had a craft partner who said they were allergic to smoke, I would think "Oh no! What can I do to make sure I don't inadvertantly kill them?  Shocked" And I would then begin furiously Googling my little fingers to death about smoke allergies. However, having already been in this situation I know that all my Googling would turn up is that there is no scientific evidence to confirm that smoke is an allergen so I'd just think to myself, "Oh... So I guess they just don't like smoke. Fair enough." And that would be fine because I don't smoke and I don't allow anyone to smoke in my house so I wouldn't give it another thought. However if someone said "I have Lupus and any traces of smoke could cause a flare up which could leave me in a lot of pain" then I would be a thousand times more vigiliant and wouldn't let anyone who smokes within 100 yards of my craft room.

It might take an extra 60 seconds to type out the actual reason, but it is likely to be given more consideration than "smoke allergies" which doesn't really give the whole story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

lylacfey
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012 04:28:37 AM »

I also have lupus & I have asthma. Both are severely triggered by smoke.

When you fill out your swap questionnaire the question reads do you have any allergies?

Yes, I write down smoke. Does that necessarily mean I am allergic to it? No. It does trigger medical conditions. I really didn't think the requirements for joining a swap was that I had to spend sixty seconds explaining personal medical conditions that are really none of my partner's business.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/faerydreams/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012 04:43:53 AM »

There is no one in my house who has smoke allergies, and yet I answer "yes" to that question on the questionnaire.  I just don't want anyone I love, nor myself, to be exposed to cigarettes, their smell, and the bad health effects. 

I agree, we shouldn't have to give a detailed medical diagnosis in order for our swap partner/organizer to be understanding and follow our wishes when it comes to this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
HolaKitty

The nectar of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012 05:37:31 AM »

I didn't say that participants should have to give a detailed run down of their medical history but if someone finds that simply saying "I'm allergic to smoke" isn't enough then it is obviously worth considering emphasising why.

It seems clear to me (however I might be in the minority) that being open about your reason for requesting a non-smoking partner could easily solve this entire issue. If you don't feel it is necessary to expand on your answers then it should be reasonble to expect the same of your partner. For example if a questionnaire says "Do you or does anyone in your house smoke" I would simply answer no. However, if someone has a serious condition perhaps this answer doesn't cut it. Perhaps I should be saying "No, I don't smoke and I don't allow anyone to smoke in my home however sometimes friends and family who do smoke come over and they will have a cigarette outside in the yard and then come back in to the house so I suppose there is the remote possibility of fabrics or materials being contaminated with smoke." But I don't know how anyone could expect that level of detail if they're not willing to offer it themselves.

I also think claiming a "smoke allergy" when one doesn't exist could be doing a disservice to those with actual medical conditions. I don't understand why people are adverse to simply saying "I don't like smoke". It blurs the line between something which is a personal preference and something that could actually phsycially harm someone. If a swap organiser has to make decisions about partners and there are uneven numbers of people who smoke and people who say they have a smoke allergy then it could actually be a serious problem. Someone who maybe has a smoker in the house could ultimately be partnered with someone who "just doesn't like smoke" if they were considerate about their crafting and made sure everything was washed and kept far away from any smoke. Whereas this could potentially still be dangerous for someone who has asthma where even a small amount of smoke lingering around could trigger an attack. How is an organizer supposed to match people up effectively if everyone just says "I'm allergic to smoke" regardless of the truth behind that comment?

Anyway, I'm not trying to start any controversial arguments I'm simply trying to point out the difficulties that can arise in these situations and the OP's problem is likely the result of a lack of communication about swap partners' needs and not an actual attempt to ruin someone's swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raewolo
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012 08:53:00 AM »

I think that there is a big difference between saying allergic and don't like when it comes to the smell of smoke in swaps.

Saying you don't like means that you'd rather not have. It's like telling your swap partner that you don't like a certain color, and they may try their best to avoid it, but there is a chance that you will get at least a little bit of that color.

Saying you are allergic means that you can't have. I'm allergic to nuts. So, whenever I receive something that looks great and there are nuts in it I have to give it away or throw it out.

I think that the issue with smoke is that there are more people that don't smoke then do. When something that smells of smoke enters a smoke free area, it can have big effects on people that aren't use to it. I don't smoke, so when I receive things that smell of smoke it makes me ill. Headaches which turn into migraines and vomiting. Then I have to give away or throw out what was sent to me. And to honest it isn't fair when that happens. I take caution in letting others know of allergens in my home so they can be aware before I start crafting. So I work hard on my package and then they gush about how much they love it, and I have to get rid of the one I received because they didn't take caution or care with mine and I'm left empty handed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012 09:49:52 AM »

... but couldn't find any verified information confirming it as an actual allergen other than the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America saying it can exacerbate Asthma and other allergies, which seemed kind of obvious anyway.

For example if I had a craft partner who said they were allergic to smoke, I would think "Oh no! What can I do to make sure I don't inadvertantly kill them?  Shocked" And I would then begin furiously Googling my little fingers to death about smoke allergies. However, having already been in this situation I know that all my Googling would turn up is that there is no scientific evidence to confirm that smoke is an allergen so I'd just think to myself, "Oh... So I guess they just don't like smoke. Fair enough."...

I'd just like point out that asthma can be just as deadly as allergies. I have asthma and I put the no smoke request on my swap questionnaires because I can't breathe around it. And, as others have pointed out, other conditions affected by smoke can be debilitating and painful.

I don't expect swappers to give an in-depth analysis of all allergens and potential triggers that could come in contact with swap items, especially since some things that can set off an attack aren't things people normally think to list (like artificial scents). I know I wouldn't if I didn't have to be careful. When I organize I ask for clarification if needed (Is woodsmoke okay? Are the cats in the craft room?) and have never had my head bitten off. I appreciate it when organizers ask me questions if they need to as well.

Communication is important on both sides, but there is a place to draw the line. (And I think just about everyone with an allergy or asthma or migraines, etc. has met people who don't take it seriously, even after explaining and sometimes even after them witnessing an attack. Or maybe it's a regional thing? )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012 12:29:16 PM »

On the whole, I explain it when I think it's relevant, if it's not, I leave it as allergic to smoke. I really don't want to have to put off any partner or organiser by explaining in the same depth of detail that I do for my emergency information pack. I am well aware that I am accepted onto a swap by the goodwill of the organiser.

There are plenty of allergies out there, how many people mention dust? I know 3 people who are allergic to dust mites (PM me if you need more details), so I always mention it. A person can become allergic to ANYTHING that they are exposed to for a second time, so: common or not, allergies shouldn't be dismissed. If you google an allergy and it's not mentioned as common in the sites you choose to visit, doesn't mean it's a preference. Allergies also vary in severity, they can range from a mild itch, to full blown anaphylactic shock and death, both are classed as an allergic reaction, but clearly have very different results. Please, please, don't dismiss an allergy just because you've googled it and it's not common.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HolaKitty

The nectar of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012 12:38:48 PM »

I hope I didn't imply that I think people's preferances or conditions should be ignored - I certainly meant no such thing! I think regardless of the reason, if someone has requested something then their partner should try their best to honour it. However, if someone has a health condition that is so serious that even the remotest whiff of smoke could be dangerous then I think it is worth mentioning because even people who don't smoke and live in smoke-free households can still come in contact with people who do and if this could somehow rub off on their crafting materials then it needs to be considered and I'm sure most people who don't suffer from any kind of smoke induced symptoms wouldn't think in such extremes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeliciaSlayDCRG
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012 12:40:04 PM »

My kids have smoke issues.  It makes one cough/sneeze really bad, and the other nauseous.  I try to avoid having them around friends of mine who smoke for those reason.  I also don't care for items that have been smoked around.  So, not smoking in the house and washing hands works for my kids.  If its a washable craft, I'd probably just wash it before I gave it to them.  But I guess best thing to do would just be to ask how sensitive your partner is.

And as far as people can be allergic to anything, no matter how uncommon it is..... I'm allergic to lettuce.  :/  Of all flippin things.  Good thing I don't have to include that in swap info though.  haha
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012 12:40:55 PM by FeliciaSlayDCRG » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JijiReagan
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012 05:43:13 PM »

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses! Sounds like it's always a good idea to clear everything you can with your partner each time you swap. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smashu

punk rock meets saturday morning cartoons..

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012 11:33:00 PM »

I have a ton of allergies and I always outline them when I'm doing swaps. I haven't had any problems so far and communication has been a big part of that. I've been put with partners that have houses with things I'm allergic to (such as cats) and they just PM me to discuss what parameters would make things safe for me. Hasn't been an issue and hopefully it will continue in that manner!

leighi123 (and everyone else who has had problems) I am really sorry to hear that you have had this happen more than once. I know I would be devastated to work my butt off on a swap and to receive something lovely that I wouldn't be able to even keep in the house. I'm allergic to smoke too and the situation would be the same for me as well.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012 11:42:55 PM by smashu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

In progress:   ♥   50+ Projects 2013(Cool
lylacfey
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012 02:59:17 AM »

I don't expect swappers to give an in-depth analysis of all allergens and potential triggers that could come in contact with swap items, especially since some things that can set off an attack aren't things people normally think to list (like artificial scents). I know I wouldn't if I didn't have to be careful. When I organize I ask for clarification if needed (Is woodsmoke okay? Are the cats in the craft room?) and have never had my head bitten off. I appreciate it when organizers ask me questions if they need to as well.

Communication is important on both sides, but there is a place to draw the line. (And I think just about everyone with an allergy or asthma or migraines, etc. has met people who don't take it seriously, even after explaining and sometimes even after them witnessing an attack. Or maybe it's a regional thing? )

I love clarification when my partner or organizer asks. I don't feel that is intrusive at all. I think that is very sweet and caring. I would think the same of my partner too that she is sweet. I would find it intrusive if my partner asks me how the smell of smoke makes me sick and then find out she is Googling about my allergen and what will happen to me. I am not a science subject. I am a person. I know I would ask to be removed from the swap and take the negative feedback.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

HolaKitty

The nectar of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012 03:20:23 AM »

I love clarification when my partner or organizer asks. I don't feel that is intrusive at all. I think that is very sweet and caring. I would think the same of my partner too that she is sweet. I would find it intrusive if my partner asks me how the smell of smoke makes me sick and then find out she is Googling about my allergen and what will happen to me. I am not a science subject. I am a person. I know I would ask to be removed from the swap and take the negative feedback.

Wow! I genuinely feel like this is an impossible situation. Some of the posters in this thread say they wouldn't want to give any information about their medical conditions so how else could a swap partner that is unfamiliar with that condition know how to do best for their partner? Apparently we'd be damned if we do and damned if we don't because asking someone could cause great offense and reading about the condition on wiki could cause great offense. It is no great surprise that people end up getting packages that don't conform to their medical needs when it seems to be such a minefield.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smashu

punk rock meets saturday morning cartoons..

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012 09:24:23 AM »

I have many other serious conditions that are triggered by my allergies and I don't openly share. For me, clarifying the parameters of what I am allergic to if a swap partner is concerned doesn't require me to explain anything about this or in-depth about the ways I react to things. If a swap partner asks out of concern for your safety if you can have ___ allergen/asthma trigger in ___ proximity to swap materials, etc. because they may have it in their house, or come into contact with someone frequently who does, it doesn't require you to explain more than a simple reply. I wouldn't find this invasive, I would find it very reassuring. In my personal opinion I think that the partner just needs to be sensitive to how they approach the person. It is not your place to tell people that their medical conditions do not exist regardless of what you have found on an internet search. Speaking in a hostile way to someone who already has to be super vigilant in their everyday life to deal with any medical condition can be very hurtful and I don't think it has any place in this community.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012 09:28:45 AM by smashu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

In progress:   ♥   50+ Projects 2013(Cool
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012 09:37:40 AM »

I don't think anyone is trying to be hostile here and I can totally see both sides of the issue.  With more and more environmental allergies appearing (to join with the old standby allergies) good communication between partners is key.  No one is ever required to share more than they are comfortable with, but I would say for a serious allergy a little more info might be in order so that your partner can craft something that you can enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
HolaKitty

The nectar of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012 09:49:01 AM »

It is not your place to tell people that their medical conditions do not exist regardless of what you have found on an internet search. Speaking in a hostile way to someone who already has to be super vigilant in their everyday life to deal with any medical condition can be very hurtful and I don't think it has any place in this community.

Is that directed at me? I haven't been "hostile" at all, or at least certainly not intended to seem so. I've simply tried to explain how difficult it can be to craft appropriately for a partner when the term "smoke allergy" is a misnomer and is used to cover an entire scale of conditions from people who just don't like the smell, to people who are sensitive to it, and to people who could suffer physical harm from it. As I previously stated, if you don't want to "share" about your actual condition then that is fair enough, but if someone is repeatedly getting swap goods that aren't up to scratch (Like the OP) then it might be worth considering providing more information. If you've never encountered any issues with just saying "allergic to smoke" then by all means go with what works. I was simply trying to point out how this catch all phrase can make it difficult to know which level of vigilience is required by the crafter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012 10:46:17 PM »

I agree that 'smoke allergy' can be a very broad term.
Look at 'peanut allergies'. Some people just can't eat actual peanuts; others cannot be around peanuts at all.
'Scent allergies'. certain smells make me nauseous, but I don't get hives or start wheezing. Is it an allergy? Or a sensitivity?
Wool makes a lot of people itchy, but not get hives.
Now, I KNOW I have an allergy, to artificial sweeteners (all of them, even Stevia, which claims its 100% natural and Splenda, which is 'made from sugar'). But I don't get a reaction from, say, a single breath mint. But a Diet soda leaves me in a bad way. So, for swapping purposes, I would be fine with a Splenda based lip gloss, but not a cookie. I would simply say 'no foods made with artificial sweetener' and leave it at that. But I would also have to assume that perhaps, in my partners kitchen lies a box of Sweet N'Low, and if I were severly allergic, I would avoid all foods in a swap, because they may have come in contact with something I cannot have.
Say a swapper DOES have a smoke free home and is a non-smoker. They may have an open window or vent in their house, and smoke may enter their home in small ammounts. If their (attached) neighbors smoke, it can filter in. And, if they have rural postal service (where private citizens are paid by the PO to deliver and pick up mail) who use their own vehicle and NOT a Post Office truck proper, the delivery person may smoke as they drive. If the Post Office ramp, where they load the trucks, is outdoors, employees may smoke there as parcels are being loaded. I know firsthand the cargo (airport) Post Office workers smoke right on the runway as they load bags onto their gokarts, then they smoke as they drive the gokart, only stopping when they go indoors. If you buy yarn and wait at a bus stop and someone 200 feet away is smoking, it can ultimatly enter the bag and taint the yarn. The crafter may not smell it, but if it can kill their partner, then obviously it is an issue.
Smoke can come from anywhere, and if it is a deadly allergy, it is hard to pair someone up because you never know when airborn smoke will end up in your home or on the parcel en route. If smoke is a dislike, it is easier to pair up, because a nonsmoker in a nonsmoking home will not smoke as they craft.... but even they can't control the environment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
MeganCrafts
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012 06:50:25 AM »

Now, I KNOW I have an allergy, to artificial sweeteners (all of them, even Stevia, which claims its 100% natural and Splenda, which is 'made from sugar'). But I don't get a reaction from, say, a single breath mint. But a Diet soda leaves me in a bad way.

Say a swapper DOES have a smoke free home and is a non-smoker. They may have an open window or vent in their house, and smoke may enter their home in small ammounts. If their (attached) neighbors smoke, it can filter in.

I have the same artificial sweetener allergy (or insensitivity, I haven't actually been diagnosed with an allergy).

I'm a non-smoker, but I used to live in the upstairs of a duplex and the downstairs neighbors were smokers.  All of the yarn that I had at the time smells like smoke because it sat next to one of the heating vents, so I try not to use it for swaps at all, even if my parnter doesn't have a smoke allergy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

banana731

procraftinator extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012 08:49:15 AM »

do those of you with smoke allergies (senstivities or whatever) find you get triggered by smoke from fireplaces, or kitchen smoke (I can't say I've never severely burnt something on the stove  Embarrassed , and your house really fills up with smoke quite quickly sometimes even if you're just searing something!)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm almost always typing with one hand...
Antidigger
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012 10:17:53 AM »

Everyone is different, don't take my answer for anyone else, but for me: no.

I have quite a specific trigger, I don't know what it is but it's not even every tobacco. It is however in every packet of cigarettes I've had the misfortune to encounter. It is only in some pipe tobaccos and some rolling tobaccos, but if I rely on that and they change their formulation I'm wheezing, passing out and back down the hospital again, so I blanketly say smoking. There are over 200 different additives to cigarettes, not to mention it could be a particular type/types of tobacco: I realise I'll never find out. Undecided I'm not really keen on the experimental approach: a bit high in visits to A&E for my comfort!

I've had similar reactions to burning some plastics: but then so does everyone around at the time, so I usually assume that's a normal reaction and I'm safe not mentioning it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pioneer9
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012 03:14:33 PM »

"smoke allergy" is a misnomer and is used to cover an entire scale of conditions from people who just don't like the smell, to people who are sensitive to it, and to people who could suffer physical harm from it

But does it matter, really? Shouldn't someone who doesn't want crafts that smell of smoke just be partnered with someone who doesn't smoke, regardless of whether that smoke is going to cause them severe physical harm or whether it just means they're going to discard the craft out because it reeks and they don't like the smell?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HolaKitty

The nectar of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012 03:51:29 PM »

But does it matter, really? Shouldn't someone who doesn't want crafts that smell of smoke just be partnered with someone who doesn't smoke, regardless of whether that smoke is going to cause them severe physical harm or whether it just means they're going to discard the craft out because it reeks and they don't like the smell?

Of course someone should get a package that suits their needs. I'm not sure if you read my other posts but I used my situation as an example... I don't smoke. No one is allowed to smoke in my house so when I fill out questionnaires I say I have a smoke free home. However, I  have people over frequently who do smoke (again, not in my house but in their own lives or outside in the garden if they must). If a swap partner is highly sensitive to smoke, so much so that a piece of fabric or yarn that had at some point been in close proximity to someone who smells of smoke could set off some sort of asthma attack or severe reaction, then it makes sense to make that clear. I certainly don't think that anyone I'm partnered with would have to discard something I made because it reeks of smoke, however if someone is very sensitive to it, I would take extra precautions to make sure there was absolutely no possibility of "contamination" whatsoever. But I don't think it is realistic to expect non-smoking crafters to halt all contact with their smoking friends and family on the off-chance that their partner *might* have such a condition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012 12:49:00 AM »

I was partnered a long while back with someone that said they did not smoke any longer, washed everything and mid swap started smoking again said outside but when I received my item I have to say I was discussed, pisst off and really beyond irked as I busted my ass and spent a fortune for something she was so excited to have and when I got the box I could not even bring in the house!!I took pic as per swap rules and was very nice and thanked this person and this never came in the house it was so nasty and into the trash it went..  we are non smokers, I have allergies and cant stand the smell it makes me freaking gag but my granddaughter lives with me and she has a tar allergies and it is found in cigs,cigars etc. The stuff that sticks to everything and it is hard as she has classmates she cant go near as they live in smoking homes, and she has to whip things down in class so not to have a cross contamination issue etc... I have it in ALL my ques NO SMOKING at all and if they have outside smokers they must wash hands etc before touching and explain why ( I do this because of the flip way some people are about smoke...)

I have spent days in the hospital with her over some many nasty people in my opinion as they just touch everything and do not ever take other into consideration. This poor kid has to go with to stores and cant touch anything ever, we buy things wash and take back if not right because she is not to have any contact with tar and I cant tell by smelling something all the time She goes to dinnerand we look like crafty germ people as we must whip down everything near her and get the mgr to explain the reaction so they are diligent on the staff and I tip VERY WELL 30-40% for the extra crap they have to do to help make sure this baby girl stays in the land of the crafting and not in a hospital or grave!

as an org I do feel you should get neg feedback if you send something that is clearly stated DO NOT PLEASE and they do send something that clearly they are trying to get over on and send with some freshener or something like that. I have had a few send things to others like a wool hat and it is CLEAR they can not have wool anything ....Resend or take the neg for not following rules..IMO it is that simple on the part of the org if clearly stated in the swap and the rules...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
lylacfey
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012 03:28:11 AM »

Babalina- My heart goes out to your beautiful GD. She always steals my heart when you post swap pics.

I think you explained everything better than I did when I posted. Well, I was a little ticked and affronted when I posted, lol. Smoke allergies are a combination of many things to many people. I am not allergic to cigarettes. I am allergic to additives in cigarettes. You light a cigarette around me and the additives come out in the smoke. Then I am sick. I agree with you NEG feedback. Just because somebody doesn't understand an allergen doesn't make an excuse for them. I also feel Google really is not a medical dictionary.  A partner should never feel uncomfortable or shy because he/she is questioned or even worse Googled over a medical condition. It just makes a bad swap all around and sours the partner on swapping again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012 08:27:06 AM »

What happens in babalina's case? Originally, when her swap began, her partner did not smoke. So it was an appropriate match.
However, the partner then began to smoke, before her package had been mailed off.
Technically, at the time of partnering, she was a non-smoker, but situations changed.
A similar question can be asked of a partner that moves- you were matched based partly on location; further transit means more cost of shipping. Or pets, like a partner that mid-crafting process takes in a cat or dog before the swap has been mailed?
I would THINK if a person knew they might be smoking (moving/ adopting pets etc), they would mention that in the questionaire. But thats only if they knew aheadof time- most smokers who have quit do not plan on picking smoking back up, they certainly don't have a set date they wnat to begin smoking again.
If it turns out your partner suddenly has a change of situation, perhaps they could request a swap angel if it was close to the send date.... or maybe you could request a new partner if its still in crafting phase?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012 09:39:09 AM »

The best thing to do would be to contact the swap organizer as soon as possible before sending to let them know.  There is only so much that can be done sometimes - re-partnering needs to be done quite early on, also both partners can mutually agree to drop the swap if it is okay with the organizer.  A swap angel request does NOT apply for this kind of situation. 

Good communication and thorough answering of swap signups is key for avoiding issues like this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012 09:18:17 AM »

babalina... what if I was swapping with you, (I'm a non-smoker, no one smokes in/near my house), and I bought some supplies at the store. Obvioulsy, I have no way of knowing if someone before me was a smoker and handled those things and left traces of tar.

If I use those supplies in a swap project, would that cause a problem for you or GD?  And, I guess, if yes, the next question... what would/could I as your swap partner do before mailing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012 07:06:00 AM »

babalina... what if I was swapping with you, (I'm a non-smoker, no one smokes in/near my house), and I bought some supplies at the store. Obvioulsy, I have no way of knowing if someone before me was a smoker and handled those things and left traces of tar.

If I use those supplies in a swap project, would that cause a problem for you or GD?  And, I guess, if yes, the next question... what would/could I as your swap partner do before mailing?

Wash hands, and wash fabric or yarn Smiley anything else is not played with but I wipe down with alcohol wipes and removes yuck and air dry QUICK so not cause damage to items and or stain Smiley Yarnie things can be wiped down with alcohol wipes and will not alter and harm before or after made Smiley I did not know this until had to go to a class..It is not just stuff from here but we have to do with all items from everywhere...can you imagine, we go to Panara and I have to whip the silverware and bowls, for napkins I bring my own and straws too if open ....but I would rather do this then mourn at a grave for yet another child as I do this already with one....

( we go to our local restaurant small town place and the owner has a small stack of items for her Smiley he keeps in air sealed container and the staff is diligent about hands etc..they see us coming and the girls whip down the chairs ( I di it if they don't have time I don't feel they should but they do it as they adore her and it is soooo small town here everyone knows everyone and they all take this very serious!!

I wash items when they get to me that I know will be in her bed or played with worn Smiley IF it is something that is not well made, or will fall apart in a wash that is items that goes in the cage ( we made a big wall size cage for her room to toss babies and or animals into and with her 2 air purifiers in the room takes the dust and yuck out and I take them out every week and put in dryer with a some wool balls that were soaked in alcohol takes the smells out, germs, and beats the dust out as per her pulmonologist and cardiologist ( tricks that they use in some children's hospitals and units... some things I dry clean....

it is just a common since thing really for most allergy stricken people. once you know what to do it is great to do foe everyone just 2 extra seconds to whip something down with alcohol as it will kill most allergies, and or remove tar and things like that from the items WIN WIN :0 and the smell goes away as soon as dry....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012 07:13:38 AM »

What happens in babalina's case? Originally, when her swap began, her partner did not smoke. So it was an appropriate match.
However, the partner then began to smoke, before her package had been mailed off.
Technically, at the time of partnering, she was a non-smoker, but situations changed.

I have to say I was irked but what can you do? Nothing at that point but live and learn really I do now think that she should have asked for an angle as completely just FUBARD the whole thing and it was NOT a cheap swap like a tin or something it was large and well.. she did sign as a NON SMOKER and that was the reason we were partnered and then mid swap she does this she did not follow the rule to swap with partner IMO.....

it is a live and learn and my Org cant do the house hop patrol and it was just a SHOCK when I got my package and it was outside and so freaking nasty the box reeked and all inside was tossed it was as if had been stored in a plastic bag with smoke being pumped into it.

Now, I did not push the issue with the org, she did offer to get one but I just said no I did not want her feedback held and or anything like that I was so sad I wanted it over and made my own and that did make me happy so win win...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012 08:20:40 PM »

I fully appreciate that for any reason (health or otherwise) if a person can't be partnered with someone that smokes, or has cats, or eats peanuts, or whatever, that request should be respected by the organizers and swappers. I'm sorry to hear of cases where this has been an issue Sad.

That said, I want to add to this thread that there are plenty of swappers (me included) that don't have allergies or aversions to people who smoke. I hope that the discussion happening here doesn't make those that smoke feel like they aren't welcome or that what they create isn't awesome or appreciated. I'm certain that no one here is trying to suggest that but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hugs to all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012 07:31:28 PM »

I fully appreciate that for any reason (health or otherwise) if a person can't be partnered with someone that smokes, or has cats, or eats peanuts, or whatever, that request should be respected by the organizers and swappers. I'm sorry to hear of cases where this has been an issue Sad.

That said, I want to add to this thread that there are plenty of swappers (me included) that don't have allergies or aversions to people who smoke. I hope that the discussion happening here doesn't make those that smoke feel like they aren't welcome or that what they create isn't awesome or appreciated. I'm certain that no one here is trying to suggest that but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hugs to all!
I did not really until she moved in but with the kiddos must be that way now..I get sad sometimes I see some AWESOME swappers I would love to partner with but cant really....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012 03:33:30 PM »

I have to say I was irked but what can you do? Nothing at that point but live and learn really I do now think that she should have asked for an angle as completely just FUBARD the whole thing and it was NOT a cheap swap like a tin or something it was large and well.. she did sign as a NON SMOKER and that was the reason we were partnered and then mid swap she does this she did not follow the rule to swap with partner IMO.....

it is a live and learn and my Org cant do the house hop patrol and it was just a SHOCK when I got my package and it was outside and so freaking nasty the box reeked and all inside was tossed it was as if had been stored in a plastic bag with smoke being pumped into it.

Now, I did not push the issue with the org, she did offer to get one but I just said no I did not want her feedback held and or anything like that I was so sad I wanted it over and made my own and that did make me happy so win win...

If you're talking about the one I think you're talking about, you two requested to be partnered together even though of the smoking incompatibility, and you were sent a specific pm from the organizer making sure that you were ok with it, and you said you were and that you trusted her. So in this particular case, it was you taking a chance on someone and not on the organizer at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
babalina58

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012 03:36:54 PM »

If you're talking about the one I think you're talking about, you two requested to be partnered together even though of the smoking incompatibility, and you were sent a specific pm from the organizer making sure that you were ok with it, and you said you were and that you trusted her. So in this particular case, it was you taking a chance on someone and not on the organizer at all.
Nope but that was a diff thing we were requested and that falls on us Smiley That item is at our local Shelter thrift and being enjoyed by all who enter Smiley That did not bug me like the one I am talking about I am actually glad that turned out the way it did as it is loved by so many this way! I got a good friend out of that swap and that is worth its weight in gold Smiley
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012 03:38:10 PM by babalina58 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012 04:25:07 PM »

OH jeez I'm sorry! Ok, I was worried you were upset about that when I thought it was all good. Sorry you got another one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...