A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help Me Take My Bedroom from Meh to Wow  (Read 2617 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2011 08:15:26 AM »

My bedroom is booooring!  We are by the beach so I used grey, brown and white to get a beach cottage feel even though we are in Costa Rica.  But I have run out of ideas and the room looks pretty bare and boring. 

Ideas anyone?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011 08:17:14 AM by booglass » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cute_anarchy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011 08:39:30 AM »

Well, you've got a great neutral slate to start from!  Some sort of bright color to make all the white pop would be great.  How about you add multiple tones of blues to give a water feel?  Coral colors would also be fun - sunset over the ocean?  Even some warm sand colors would be nice too. 

You could glue ribbons around the lamp shade, or weave wide ribbon or fabric through your head board?  Throw pillows/blanket and a big art piece above the bed?  I would think about textures too!  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011 08:44:48 AM »

I love the lamps as they are.  They cast a warm light when lit and light up the crystal base.  But I think pillows are needed.  I was thinking of knitting some that have a rustic feel but have yet to find a pattern or invent one. 

Art above the bed is a must.  But we are in earthquake country so we are hesitant to put something huge and heavy up.  So silly, I know. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redredrogue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011 11:05:40 AM »

I think the neutral color theme would work better with some pattern or texture added. Brown and white printed fabric pillows would be easy to DIY and more lightweight/beachy than knit pillows. I can't really see what the curtains look like from this pic, are they solid grey?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm frightened by the devil, and I'm drawn to those ones who ain't afraid.
Phoenyx
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011 12:14:39 PM »

Me, I'd go bold.  Beach cottage does not have to be "New England".  Wink

A quick google image search of Costa Rica shows lush rain forest right up to the beaches, waters in every shade of blue, and brightly colored flora and fauna (loved the golden tree frogs!).  Bring this in.

Use an aqua placemat as a runner for the nightstands. If the bulb temperature is right (more white than yellow) you could get a waterfall effect with the crystal bases.

Not all wall art needs to be heavy.  A poster, or patterned fabric on a thin rod would do the trick.  Pick pillow and throw colors from either to tie them together. 

I'd had the brief thought of literally bringing the outdoors in... banana leaves or palm fronds, carefully done, could be great decor without going to far... but I'm not sure how well they hold out.

Flowers, particularly local varieties, would bring in an enormous "pop" to the room.  =glances at the images page again= Can one dry Birds of Paradise? 

One a side note, for a rustic knitted pillow, try a basic basket weave (alternating squares of stockinet and reverse St) with a garter border.  Easy to adapt to size and yarn. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011 12:22:44 PM »

Interesting ideas.  We do have lots of bold colors in Costa Rica.   My other bedroom is very vibrant so in this one I wanted to use a more tranquil and muted color scheme.  But I think bringing nature in is a great idea.  Why not use the shapes of the flora and fauna but with these lighter shades?  That could be very interesting. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012 10:19:55 AM »

Neutral is not my cup of tea, but you can add a lot to what you already have here and make it so wonderful.
If it were my room the first thing I would do is pick out the colors I want to see in that room.  Personally
I would probably go with yellows, gold tones, reds, something bright and yummy.  These photos really spark my
interest, and have great colors in them.

http://pinterest.com/pin/51721095690184228/

http://pinterest.com/pin/51721095690169901/

http://pinterest.com/pin/51721095690075440/

This really is a great pallet to start from!  Have fun, and I can't wait to see what you come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
FoxInDocs
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012 06:06:39 PM »

i'm thinking cane and ropes, maybe a vintage life-ring if you can get your hands on one.....

waaallllllll decallllls....... won't fall off, and if they do, won't kill you when they land on your head.... they're the solution to all art-hanging problems...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012 06:41:37 AM »

After re-reading the replies and giving things some thought, I decided that you guys are right there should be a pop of color.  So after careful consideration I have decided on a muted dusty orange tone.  So today I am off to a fabric shop to see what I can find for pillows.  Wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talented20
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012 04:01:23 AM »

Art above the bed is a must.  But we are in earthquake country so we are hesitant to put something huge and heavy up.  So silly, I know. 
just put some fabric above the wall and use the color that you shoosed for the pillow
just like this:http://www.google.tn/imgres?start=118&hl=fr&sa=X&biw=1600&bih=796&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=UVroM83rkcTkRM:&imgrefurl=http://harvestfurniture.blogspot.com/2010/11/above-bed.html&docid=1jq6GUl_BSUheM&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OpZouKLcfKc/TNOYI2E2M7I/AAAAAAAAAxY/ZOd5d0Q-cTs/s1600/fabric.jpg&w=480&h=640&ei=FV0aUOKpOsfi4QSKyoCgAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=391&vpy=327&dur=790&hovh=259&hovw=194&tx=105&ty=154&sig=100062401073758826664&page=4&tbnh=144&tbnw=118&ndsp=41&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:118,i:138
or a wall tattoo 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Bacon and Mozzarella Omelete
How to Make Apple Pancakes
KD101: Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
Family-Owned Soul Food Restaurant Visited by Celebs & Politicians
Richard Blais’ 10-Minute Chicken Dinner
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...