A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Great Bright Ornaments - Foamtastic~!  (Read 744 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mezcraft
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 12, 2011 06:25:45 PM »

I have previously posted some paper balls I made with this same technique. I went looking for any neat papers I might be able to do this with but I didn't find any however I did find some foam sheets from the dollar store so  I made a whole wack of these!  If you want the tutorial you can check out my blog! http://a-can-of-crafty-curiosities.blogspot.com/ or simply read below as I have added a mini tutorial to this post

They are super vivid on the tree and give it quite the punch of colour and texture!

Here is a bit more info on how I did this:
So originally when I did it in paper I just printed out the pattern onto a sheet. But as I discovered Foam sheets don't go through a printer well, I then just traced them out.  You will need 12 pieces to make each ball. I bought a pack of foam sheets for a $1.00 and used 6 sheets to make 5 balls. The pattern is really easy to make it's simply a pentagon with a half moon on each side. All you really need to do it is a compass. The degree for each angle in a pentagon is 108 degrees if you are into the mathy bit of it.

Then you cut across each half moon out half way up to make a slit, making sure you go in the same direction on every one. So they end up looking like this-

Then you simply put it together like IKEA Furniture, slot to slot on each piece. I put the side I traced the pattern out onto on the underside so if there were some spillovers with my pen you didn't see them.

Then you just keep adding pieces in, slotting them in till you get all around each side. It gets a bit tricky once you are doing 4 or 5 sides but not too bad. 

I stuck on a piece of foam I cut out with my leftovers and glued that on with a glue gun.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011 05:00:00 PM by mezcraft - Reason: to add a tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011 06:41:38 PM »

Thanks for the great pics and link to your blog. I spy a great rainy day project for the Pre-K class this week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap ROUND 3 - Working
Altered Puzzle Pieces - again!
3-D Bugs coming soon....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Filling Raw Spring Rolls
How to Make a Raw Red Thai Curry
Red Thai Curry Ingredients
Making the Thai Paste for Red Thai Curry
Sweetening Red Thai Curry
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...