A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,659
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Abundance of Embroidery thread craftalong-2011 Ongoing  (Read 23526 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

J_Kieviet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2012 11:33:42 PM »

I'm going to join, I don't have a lot of thread, but I have a fair amount, and need to finish my nieces birth announcement - perhaps for her first birthday, so I will use what I need for that, once that's done, I'll maybe make some bracelets and such or some pillowcases - Mom and Dad haven't had a new set from me in at least 5 years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Mccalls 6337 sewing pattern, if you have a copy you'd be willing to share/give/sell please let me know.  The bag costs $60 and I think perhaps I could make it cheaper/
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012 07:25:22 AM »

I have been successful in just using floss that I have...I have no idea what colors they are as they have no band, but close enough to the picture I am using... Cheesy

That is what I do most of the time. Unless it is a kit that comes with thread I just use the DMC floss and find colors that are close. I have started labeling the threads as I get them. When I started using floss I was in high school a camp counselor we used the thread for hair wraps so there are still some colors that have no labels but I use what I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
ChameleonHound

Odds 'n ends are my specialty.

Beware the Platypirates and their tri-corner hats.

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012 11:00:52 AM »

I have been successful in just using floss that I have...I have no idea what colors they are as they have no band, but close enough to the picture I am using... Cheesy

That is what I do most of the time. Unless it is a kit that comes with thread I just use the DMC floss and find colors that are close. I have started labeling the threads as I get them. When I started using floss I was in high school a camp counselor we used the thread for hair wraps so there are still some colors that have no labels but I use what I can.

Yeah, since I have no idea what numbers my floss had initially, when I need more of a certain color I just sneak a small bit into the store in my pocket and match it best I can. And I've found the dye lots vary enough that I'm not sure I'd trust the number anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever happened to the ongoing hoopla swaps?
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012 01:04:51 PM »

Yeah, since I have no idea what numbers my floss had initially, when I need more of a certain color I just sneak a small bit into the store in my pocket and match it best I can. And I've found the dye lots vary enough that I'm not sure I'd trust the number anyway.
You got that right! In my color matching efforts, I found that some colors had been altered considerably. Initially, my stash was thrifted, then I just started buying new. Some of those thrifted threads were quite old, and when I started making kits, I needed to have new stuff. That made it easier to put together my own color schemes, with some accuracy and consistency.. The old stuff got separated out and I just keep it for experiments, so I'm not wasting the new floss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jolyon
Rosalind Julia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2012 12:01:52 PM »

Its nice to see a few more people joining in.  I love the piece you have done Beth8144; what a lovely idea.

I have finally started with my pinks.

and here is my first heart.

I am enjoying using them way more than I anticipated.  I think because it isnt a huge project so I get them done quite quickly (Im on one and a half so far) and there is still plenty of creativity in choosing the patterns.  They are kind of fair isle style hearts!
Im hoping to be finished by the end of next week and then I will be moving on to blacks and blues (as well as consulting you all about how best donate the heart piece to a breast cancer charity). 
Anyway keep up the good work its lovely to see all your progress Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012 01:11:02 PM »

So pretty!  I love the idea of using one color group...I think doing a small project might boost my confidence...I am going to see if I can round up enough of one color to do something small...it is quite frustrating to have inherited so much thread and have it sit in a drawer...

I want to get rid of it because I have started a collection of silk floss...practice would be a good idea for me! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012 02:49:42 PM »

I finally started my cross stitch project to use up some red I had.  So here is a progress shot!

Its a quarter of the way done!  Yay!  I started it Saturday night and I'm pretty happy with my progress so far.  I'm going to sew it into a pillow when I'm done.

Here is the pattern I'm using:
http://www.nordicneedle.com/prod/105-296-0022.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012 12:06:02 PM »

It is going to be a lovely pillow cover!

I love single color needlework...

I finally got all of the thread as organized as it is going to get...it was not as much as I thought since a lot of what was in the bags I got still had bands on them!  I left those as they were...I used old file folders to make those thread wrapper things...turned out pretty good and they fit nicely together in a tin...

I also left all the threads in those holey thread holder things...they look like long notebook paper with holes on the side to put the thread on...it seems whoever had this cut the threads in half so they are short...it would have been a lot of work to wind those little pieces...

So, I am left with a lot of reds/pinks and lots of blues and purples for needlework...I will use the shorter pieces for Teesha Moore projects...

Now to find a project that will not take too long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012 03:19:54 PM »

Nice projects everyone  Smiley.I have tons of thread.And I have at least 3 or more projects in mind.But wouldn''t you know it.I'm completely out of black  Angry.And that's the color I need the most  Sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
that1girl
i want to learn every craft there is

crafting for the fun of it

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2012 03:33:34 AM »

when i was given bags full of yarn i was also given floss. i've used up all of the yarn of three years. and forgot about to floss, im not sure how long it will take to get this stash down. I really need to get my statsh cleaned up.

im going to be making bookmarks, to raise money for the libraries craft group.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Textured Metal to Make Jewelry
Top Jewelry Making Techniques
Jewelry Soldering Basics
Making Metal Jewelry
Jewelry Casting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...