A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Abundance of Embroidery thread craftalong-2011 Ongoing  (Read 25673 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

groperesponsibly
Mom to a beautiful, craft loving little girl!!

Dippin' my fingers into all things crafty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011 11:08:31 AM »

I'm so glad you liked the idea!!!

You guys make me want to pick back up with xstitching ;.;  I haven't done it in years.  I already work with clay and beads XD  About to get into silver and gemstone cutting.  Gahhh I soooo don't need another craft on my list!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do: Polymer clay minatures, Polymer clay beads, Beadweaving, Jewelry, Stone cutting (Cabachons) and wirework.  I will be doing: Stone cutting (faceted), Pottery, Silver and Glass work.

Personal swaps welcome Smiley
elliot_anne
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011 10:34:17 PM »

So here is a picture of my now-organized DMC floss boxes. Trust me, it took a long time - it started off as a gigantic pile of floss that was took over the couch. For some reason, it cut off the top of the picture (or maybe I just suck at taking pictures and messed it up). The top row has the metallic threads, the whites, and my extra bobbin thingys.

And here is my first finished project for this craftalong!

It's a Celtic cross from this http://www.twdesignworks.com/Free/ccross.html website, for my fiance's mom. Finished just in time for Christmas! I did make a few changes. A couple color swaps, and I chose not to use beads. OH! And I didn't couch the braided cord or whatever the instructions say to use. I used metallic floss, and after doing the two sides, remembered why I freaking hate that stuff, and opted not to do the top and bottom couching. Man I hate metallic thread. With that said, I'm really happy with how it turned out!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011 10:35:44 PM by elliot_anne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jolyon
Rosalind Julia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011 12:48:56 AM »

Very nice and organised Smiley.  I do think those boxes help, especially in choosing colours - as I tend to choose mine as I go along. Although remembering/bothering to put them back in order... thats something else.

Your project is very pretty and I am impressed you finished it for christmas. I hope she loves it too.  I feel your pain with the metallic thread I once, foolishly, tried to do french knots with it.  Absolute disaster had me almost in tears!  Yours looks much more successful.

@Grope responsibly - please come join us... it could be a little x-stitch project just so you can slot it in with your other crafts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jolyon
Rosalind Julia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011 12:51:45 AM »

Oops I meant to post my almost finished 'green' project with that last post.
Here it is - just the bag clasps on the black bag to finish and the back of course!

The photograph quality isnt great as I just took it quickly on my mobile.  Ill try and get a nicer shot once Ive finished the back (and the bag)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainbowridergrma
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011 08:04:44 AM »

Very impressive and lovely colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011 09:20:48 AM »

Those are some pretty ladies, you made!  I love the background fabric you used!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011 11:27:01 PM »

I just came upon this thread, and stopped in out of curiosity. I will never have too many threads ; but Here's what I did....
   I separated all the NON-DMC threads and cut them up in a huge hank of 18 inch lengths. I taped a 4" wide peice of paper around the bundle. I just pull the color, ready to use.( about 250 pieces)I will use them for random experimental things.  
   I now have DMC thread separated in clear zip-lock sandwich baggies, which go inside a larger zippered plastic bag. (The kind a set of pillow shams come in) This way, when I am looking for a specific color, it is much easier, and the floss does not become such a tangled mess.
   As pretty as all your floss boxes are ... I HATE my threads wrapped that way, because it makes pinch marks on them. I like to keep them in the hanks as long as I can.
    When I'm actually working on something, I will make a floss organizer with holes punched on 2 sides of a strip of plastic window blinds. I arrange the colors in 18 inch lengths, and write the numbers. I will keep the uncut selection of colors in a separate baggie for that project.
   I have several baggies in which certain color schemes are assembled, uncut until I'm ready to use.
  As for the horrid metallic thread, I keep it in it's own bag.
I have found that Beeswax is very helpful with this thread. The beeswax helps keep the thread smooth.
Also, use a bit shorter length, about 14 inches. it will just get torn up by sewing if used much longer. Another trick with metallic thread; Do a base stitch in a matching color of the cotton floss. Then do your metallic layer on top. This creates a fuller look without as much trouble from the thread shredding on you. A chain stitch makes a nice filler stitch.
  Finally, I bought a DMC color chart for $10.00, minus a 40% off coupon.
I made an overlay sheet with tracing paper, and did a color inventory , to see at a glance how many colors I had, and the quantities. This is helpful if you are trying to get a complete palette gradually. I like to buy several skeins in a sequence at a time, for the shades in a color family.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2011 11:27:58 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jolyon
Rosalind Julia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011 02:24:24 AM »

I trust everyone had a lovely Christmas period.  I personally feel all the turkey and sweets I consumed will give me much needed energy to pick up my hoops and use up those pink threads...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampedangel14
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Easily craftstracted!

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011 08:40:20 AM »

I have my thread all sorted and I started working on something last night. Should have a picture up tonight to share  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011 06:55:17 AM »

What lovely projects!  I seem to have an abundance of green so I should pick out some sort of green project!  I love the look of stitching on fabrics...but I also love the neatness of stitching on cross stitch fabric... Cheesy  Should I just say I love needlework? Cheesy  Such organization inspires me for my 2012 resolution!

KLKing!!!!  I miss you!  Of course, your tips and hints are so invaluable!  I never thought to use mini blinds to hold hanks...what a great idea...my mom used to wrap her threads around bobbins but she put tissue paper around them to keep them from crimping...I see that you have started a crochet flower craftalong...I so bombed in the motif one last year, but flowers...hmmm....might have to join that one!

I hope to have things organized to begin my 2012 projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Around in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 2
How to Get Around in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 1
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 4
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 3
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...