A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super mario bros 2 inspired Ereader case  (Read 1898 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evilkitten25
♥ Game 'n' Craft ♥

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2011 11:36:48 AM »

First this is my first project post..... so very long over due... ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Oh and I don't own mario bros etc etc... i just sat at the computer for far too long pixelating the screenshots into my cross stitching program... so... i'm just a nerd that loves video games♥

Anywho... I've been wanting to make a cover for my Kobo ereader since i got it as a very early birthday present [so since middle of june lol].
I've been sketching out ideas and concepts for it.. it was going to be like a very big plastic canvas trinket box. Than i settled on simple case with a two different sized top/closing flaps with velcro to secure everything.

I took screenshots of the game while playing an emulatated version on my computer and added in the vine/ladder/whatchamawhosit .. I zoomed in my screenshots and put it sidebyside with my cross stitching program and spent many hours pixelating everything [and guesstimating the sizes and such and fixing them than more hours trying to get the right colour]. I moved things around, fudged/faked the design and size of the platform/hill so everything not 100% accurate but i did my best not to stray too far from the original [colour of the yarn included!].

Now the princess' original colours form back than aren't exactly the same [you'd think with maaaaaany many garbage bags bursting with yarn i'd be able to match them better... But it switched out her hair and dress outline colour for a darker shade almost burgandy as opposed to a red/orange..looked nicer in my opinion.

I also had the idea to have the scene continue around and down the sides and bottom of the case..using black yarn while sewing them together to seperate the bottom left side from the bottom of the case [which continues down under the princess][sorry got a little wordy].

So... This was done using green coloured 7 count plastic canvas' [won't use it again as i had to double up my 4ply yarn in spots to hide the ugly plastic colour and it was actually breaking in places after i sewed it altogether and had to use clear glue, dont have a glue gun, to fix it than backstitch the booboos to hide the glue], using normal 4ply yarn ..the green colours were actually thinner and thus had to split pieces of yarn so they were a little thicker. a small piece of velcro cut into 2 pieces [wont use that particular strip again as it had sticky glue in the back....ya try pushing a sewing needle thru all that yarn, glue, velcro and sometimes the plastic canvas..forgetting to use a thimble..ya.... my finger is still healing from the needle pushing back into it many many times.. before i gave up and wrapped a bunch of thick bandaids around my finger.. and the needle got bent and was covered in glue.. so it was garbaged afterward, lol]. Since the case was so much larger than my ereader i made a little pouch [2 felt pieces and 2 scrap fabrics] and sew'd a strap and snap clasp closure for it.

The stitches were obviously cross stitch, half cross stitch for the smaller/lower flap because i was lazy [and it was a last minute idea and thought] and in 1 place, backstitched for support of a booboo.

It was many many many hours of pixelating [many tylenols for a sore back from hunching over and staring at the screen too lol]. I started the needlepoint in the middle of October, got sick with a bad throat infection and had to stop for 2 weeks. I would only needlepoint for 1-4 hours a day. Finished around the last week or so of November.

I'm going to have my dad [a woodcarver] make a very thin wooden slipcase to slide inside to give the case more structure and stability since the 7count plastic canvas' are so damned flexible. I also sewed a small felt and fabric pouch to put my ereader into than into the case since i forgot to line the plastic canvas' prior to sewing it up completely. But for now, it's fine and i'm going to leave it be until the new year since i have to start and finish other projects for christmas... .. lol yaaaaaa... I'm nuts.

Hopefully I did a decent job and you guys like it. I certain love it. As does my 6 year old nephew whom loves the super mario series.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011 11:48:09 AM »

Wow, that is so much work to go to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
rubberbunny
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011 11:57:38 AM »

fantastic work -i'm in love with this. any chance you'd share the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011 01:54:48 PM »

Awesome! Well worth the effort.

I look forward to seeing more of your projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
darth_unicorn

I find your lack of faith disturbing- Darth Vader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011 02:16:56 PM »

This is soooo sick. i love classic Mario. I feel like anything past the snes is too new school for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find your lack of faith disturbing. -Darth Vader
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011 07:23:39 AM »

That is way cool! Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMamaBee
Dreaming Bigger than my Ability!

I'm A Craftster Best of 2013 Winner!

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011 07:54:59 AM »

I love forward to seeing what other amazing things you come up with! That was such am amazing case! I NEED one! ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafty Blog!

Shop My Esty Shop! Check it out!

Swaps:
Spirit/Intention Doll Swap: Sent!
Twinches Needlework Swap: At the drawing table...
oceansoul

*Can I Play With Madness*

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011 09:46:26 AM »

Wowzer!!! That is totally totally awesome Cheesy Cheesy  Looks fab!! I'm getting a Kindle off the parental unit for Christmas, may have to make something like this.  Hadn't thought of using plastic canvas, so thanks for the inspiration!  Yours looks brilliant Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stuck in a 16th century time warp...

Blog - http://embroideryemporium.blogspot.com/
amymarie78

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011 02:03:01 PM »

Love it! I need one for my nook!  And I see you are reading Laurel K Hamilton.... I love her too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilkitten25
♥ Game 'n' Craft ♥

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011 06:34:14 PM »

Heh thanks for the compliments Cheesy

As for the pattern I lost it last month right after i printed my final chart for it but I can make it again after the holidays and post it if anyone would like it.

I had sooo much fun piecing it all together and moving it around until it was just right.  Maybe this is my calling.. being a crafty video game nerd lmao♥
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Ketchup
How to Grill with Woodchips
How to Bake Amish Friendship Bread
In The Kitchen - Halibut
How to barbeque with plank
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...