A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,615
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hey Craftsters.... What's your favorite kind of knitting needle? Size, Kind...  (Read 1207 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lesleycayton

deedle deedle dee. wubba wubba wubba.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005 09:56:51 AM »

I love addi's too!  I only have one set of needles in each size, and they're all addis in the longest cable I can find.  The AddiTurbo + Magic Loop have made my knitting life much less cluttered, 'cause now I don't need dpns!  It's awesome!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apixiegrl
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005 01:27:12 PM »

My favorite needles are......
INOX circular for socks... they are metal and slick... i tend to want to knit socks very tight and the stitches slide easier. also the cable part of the needle is soft and doesn't start acting like a slinky.
SWALLOW casin type needles for ribbon and cotton projects.. they have short points and are so smooth and pretty.
CLOVER BAMBOO for most other stuff... they seem smoother at the tip then others I've tried
SUSAN BATES alluminum for intricate patterns with yarn overs and pick up sts. They have the longest point which makes grabbing stitchs easy.
CIRCULAR NEEDLES for large heavy projects. the weight of the yarn is more to the center rather then the end of the needle for lest stress on my wrists.
but in times of need, I will use anything available
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005 03:28:03 PM »

what do you guys think of the big needles (size 13-14-15....)? are they fun? i want to try them. they look like crayons and i'm curious. is it worth it?
have you ever knitted with chopsticks? i want to try but i'm scare.d
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nevermore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005 06:23:39 PM »

I love my 12" 4.5 mm Addi circulars.  They're great for so many things - perfect for hats, circular scarves, and sleeves.  I also love my (many) sets of casien dpns, and my new birch double points (which are better for tighter gauge).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy Shop - http://www.nevermore.etsy.com
rabideloise
Karina

rabideloise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005 06:54:36 PM »

I love size 8 needles and anything bamboo, like Clover's needles.  For dpns I use Susan Bates and I also use my great-grandmother's knitting needles which are probably anywhere from 30-50 years old.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love The Damned
shrtcke
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005 09:57:05 PM »

i love the bamboo needles. they are my fav. i have the aluminum and plastic ones too that i bought from walmart cause thats all they carry when i first started knitting, but once i bought my first set of bamboo needles i was hooked. i pretty much replaced all my needles to bamboo or made my own from dowels i use bamboo for sizes us 0 up to us 13. but us 15 to us 50 i prefer using the plastic ones. but not the flemsy ones though either the susan bates or red heart has some great ones now in pretty colors that look exactly like the susan bates needles and are alot cheaper and just as good in my opinion. i especially have to get bamboo for my circulars and dpns. i find when i use aluminum needles i'm not as relaxed and my hands tend to cramp up. the bamboo brand i buy are the clover. i like them and they are reasonably priced. i guess the size i like best would probably be my us 11 clover ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acesulfamek
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005 06:56:48 AM »

I get behind those who have already endorsed Addi Turbos, though I also really like the Addi Naturas which have the same type of cord, but a bamboo needle.  The join on the Naturas is the best of on any bamboo or wood circ I have seen out there, and by the time you have used a set for a big project, the tips are so smooth and glossy. 

For straights, I like the Latern Moon hardwood line (the ebony are very pretty, though I only have the rosewoods) as they are dense but slippy, and the Brittany Birch which offer a bit more grip.  However, at a larger size or longer length I find it too uncomfortable on my wrists to use either.

As for the question about larger sizes, I would say that they certainly have thier merits.  In my personal opinion, I would keep using a 13, 15, etc to accsessories because I don't like to add much padding to myself (already have enough), but they are ideal for cranking out those holiday gift scarfs or just making neat things for one's self.  Also, I do almost all my knitting that will be felted with worsted weight yarn on size 13 needles - the additional space between stitches allows for more agitation and felty goodness or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crafting Contagious Content with Stories
How Ayana Mathis Creates Characters With Soul
The Miracle Berry Diet Cookbook by Homaro Cantu
Why Author Ann Patchett Loves "The Twelve Tribes of Hattie"
Step Inside The Carriage House With Author Louisa Hall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...