A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 18th Century Gown Muslin (Lots of pics!)  (Read 1489 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

deruyter2008
« on: December 09, 2011 10:50:37 PM »

I'm currently taking an independent study costuming class and for the final project I have to drape an 18th century gown more specifically a robe la franaise!  At the beginning of the semester I asked my professor to teach me how to drape since all I knew how to do previously involved working with stretch so it didn't have to fit exactly! haha  I started the dress this past Sunday and have to finish it by next Friday, thankfully it's just the muslin though.  I hope to make the dress out of nice fabric at some point but I'm not sure since I will have no use for it and it won't even be my size  Undecided.  Anyway I'm super proud of what I've accomplished so far since this is really the first thing I've draped.  I would love some encouragement to help me get this done in time!  Enough talk, pictures now!  Sorry about the poor quality, they are from my phone.

TL;DR  My first draped project!  In-progress.

Panniers (the only part I didn't drape, made from a tute instead)!  And the initial draping for the bodice.

Completed bodice with a boned stomacher.

Back/side of the bodice.  Notice the side seams are moved back to allow the flowy back to be sewn in. Cheesy

Flowy Watteau back, you can also see the skirt which I draped later.

Detail of the pleats.  This thing eats fabric like crazy! Shocked

Skirt!  Please ignore all the excess fabric pinned to the bodice, that will disappear once I actually sew it all together. Roll Eyes  This was the hardest part to my surprise.  I had NO idea how difficult it would be to pleat all that fabric so it would lie nicely over the panniers.  At one point I actually broke down into tears of frustration after working on only one side for over an hour. Cry

Final picture with the excess fabric down so you can get a better idea of the silhouette so far.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011 11:35:38 PM »

Wow.  That is so impressive.  And think of all those poor little 18C seamstresses going blind sewing those things for the rich ladies. Surely once it is done you could flog it to a theatrical costumiers.  I'm sure there must be lots of people who could use it even if it is only in muslin.  It would look nice on a ghost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smallhold
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011 02:31:05 AM »

My word, that is serious labour! Congratulations on your insight, stamina and creativity.
As someone who is interested in historical clothing, I am impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hi, my name is Smallhold and I compulsively collect looms."
"Hi Smallhold."
funkensteins
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011 04:09:19 AM »

Absolutely lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011 08:49:50 AM »

I love costumes! You've done amazing work. I agree with elderflower: Ghost costume coming up! One nicely dressed ghost too. Not making it in your size must be hard, but it is a beautiful piece. I hope you post pics of it all done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011 12:59:02 PM »

Looking fantastic!  I hope you get to do some costuming for yourself at some point, though I understand the problem of not having anywhere to wear them to.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Seared Fish with Maple Tamarind Glaze
Cutting Fish For Sashimi
How to Make Daal
How to Make Indian Lentil Stew
How to Make Dosas with Lentils and Rice
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...