A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Time to think about the next Sheep to Shawl Challenge!  (Read 2945 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2011 07:29:35 AM »

Okay Ladies (and gents if you're out there.  I know there are male spinners in the world!)  time to think of themes or concepts for our next sheep to shawl challenge!

A few ideas:

Fleece to fashion - Make what ever you please, from what ever you please!
specialty fibers/blends to socks
spin it lace and make something delicate
spin it funky  and make something cool/artful
Should we go color themes?  
Should we stick to one fiber?
Should we all be making the samething?

Rules will be:

~You must dye your fiber. (either before or after spinning or knitting/crocheting/weaving)
~You must spin your fiber.
~You must make something with any yarn craft.(what ever theme is chosen- make something appropriate to your yarn)

Any more ideas/themes/concepts?  What time line would be appropriate?  Was 2 months plenty last time?  or to much?

Voting for theme will start on the 1st of January.  So speak now, or forever hold your peace!  Theme voting will last 7 days, then the challenge will be posted!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011 07:33:18 AM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011 09:08:23 AM »

YES! Let's do it!

Fleece to fashion - Make what ever you please, from what ever you please! I like this idea. It's free form, though sometimes having some boundaries helps cultivate ideas.
specialty fibers/blends to socks Dunno if I like this idea.
spin it lace and make something delicate  This could be fun!
spin it funky  and make something cool/artful This could be intimidating to new spinners.
Should we go color themes?  Meh
Should we stick to one fiber? It should be wool, right? sheep to shawl and all. Maybe as long as it has a certain percentage of wool in it it could be cool?
Should we all be making the same thing? Like with the shawl? I like that but I think a little variety would be nice.

I liked 2 months. I don't know what else to say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011 09:44:29 AM »

Say we stick with  mostly protien fibers, so this would include llama, alpaca, yak, camel, silk etc.?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011 10:13:12 AM »

What you're saying is that "Sheep to Shawl" is more for alliteration and just the sound of it then for the actual rules?! *gasp!*

OK.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011 12:13:50 PM »

Perhaps it should be in quotes?   I'm not to sure what to call it otherwise!  Spin to FO challenge? Dye spin knit challenge?  Fleece to Fashion works, if we keep it a general your choice item.  But We've got lots of time for more opinions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011 12:31:13 PM »

Fleece to Fashion still implies sheep. I'm thinking "Fiber to Fashion."
I am excited about this again! Why isn't anyone else chiming in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011 01:53:06 PM »

Maybe because my pic didn't show up in the thumbnails again... Undecided  Don't worry, the regulars will see this soon I'm sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antsy
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011 06:43:35 PM »

I like the idea of everybody making the same thing, but I don't like knitting socks, I don't really need any more shawls, and I don't really have any ideas as to what that something should be. I'm also kind of intrigued by the thought of us all making something from the same pattern (especially something like Citron which has both knit and crochet patterns for the same thing), that way we're really judging on dyeing and spinning more than on pattern choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011 06:50:54 PM »

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter09/PATTcitron.php

This one?  That's really cute!  I also like the idea of knitting or crocheting the same thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rodelphia
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011 06:37:30 AM »

i like the fiber to fashion idea, it sounds like it would be more do-able because it still leaves wool as an option but if others chose to they could use other fibers. right now as a new spinner and new mom i'm sticking with wool because its cheaper than other fibers. i still like to spin, but i have to be a little more fiscally responsible with a new mouth to feed.  Cheesy i don't know if other people are in the same situation or not, those are just my thoughts on it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antsy
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011 03:55:16 PM »

That's the one Belladune. There are a few others that have the same thing in knit and crochet patterns, but that's the first on off the top of my head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011 06:50:19 PM »

You know I didn't like the idea of us all doing the same pattern at first but now that I've sat on it I do. It's hard to choose which you like best when they all have different patterns as well as yarns. But some of the patterns that have knit and crochet options look really bad in one and good and the other and vice versa. And it also leaves out the weavers so I don't know. I agree with the whole no shawls or socks thing, but want to add like no bags! Ooh! We could do like a charity thing where whatever we make goes to wherever, we could even all send them to one C-ster and they could do whatever the charity is. If we did that I could go for a shawl but... maybe I'm delirious? Am I making any sense? whatever, those are my thoughts. Discuss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

.:dollface:.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011 04:05:10 PM »

What about sheep/fiber to scarf?  and it has to be a certain size, that way, you can knit,crochet, or weave it...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011 04:34:03 PM »

I'm not to keen on the charity thing.... Now before you all get your dander up!!!  I'm all for charity.  Believe me.  But I'm kind of hesitant to give away something I'll have worked so hard on.   I think leaving it up to the person spinning is better.  I'll keep donating time and $ though, to my favorites Smiley

Sheep to scarf, so long as it's at least a 5x1 foot scarf?  Or OR!!  What can you make out of 6oz of fiber?  Then it can be anything at all.  

Oh and of course, so there's not "sorry but that doesn't count" ( wink wink nudge nudge @Jexxican)  There will be a 75% dyed fiber requirement again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:dollface:.
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011 05:59:08 PM »

What can you make out of 6oz of fiber?  Then it can be anything at all.  

Would you have to use ALL 6oz? and then you could get "points off" for left over yarn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011 06:24:44 PM »

it could be a lesser amount of fiber too, like 4 oz.  or heck even 2oz.  I just personally like larger amounts.   I don't think you'd get "points off" if you used most of it.  And you wouldn't necesarily have to spin lace weight, right?  6oz could produce anywhere from 100-600 yards, depending on how crazy you got with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011 07:35:43 AM »

Yeah, I don't like the whole charity thing either. Did I mention delirium?

Scarf could be cool. All the same but all different. Super. For some reason scarf seems a little more more equal ground than shawl, though we might surprise me. But I do think the width should have a little more leeway than 1'. Maybe more like "3-12 inches x at least 5 foot" or something would work better. Or whatever, I just think 1 foot width is a little big.

Also like the weight req, but UP TO X-oz I think would be crucial in the rules. Like, you don't have to use it all but if you go over *BZZT* you're out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012 09:51:52 AM »

I want to play along this time!  I started last time but never finished since moving took up so much time this summer Sad

I like the idea of whatever you want to knit because I really would hate to spend hours and hours on a shawl that I will never wear  (I'm sure I could find somebody to give it to though).  I like the idea of see what you can make with 4 oz or whatever weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

textilejnkie
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012 07:28:56 AM »

Here is a question from a weaver ->  Could we ply with something commercial for the warp?  I don't think that 100-600 yards is enough for a 5 foot scarf because of loom waste and whatnot.
I guess it would depend on the loom, I know that I have almost 30 inches of loom waste, btu there are tricks around that.  So say 10 ends to an inch, 12 inches wide, assume 20% draw in so calculate that to be 14.5 inches wide loom width. That is 145 ends or about 300 yards for a 2 yrd warp.  (Plied means that you use up your 6 oz on just the warp.)

And assuming a balanced weave for the weft-> or just under 50 yds a foot or about 250 yds for the warp.

So a weaver would need 550 yds, which would be hard to get if you were going to ply the warp.  I'm a new spinner, so I would want to ply the warp. 

When my guild does sheep to shawl you can pre-warp the loom with a commercial neutral color...  That would work, too....  please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012 11:58:34 AM »

For weaving, I think warping the loom with a commercial warp should be okay.

You can use handspun singles for warp, just make sure it is a sturdy wool spun worsted with a lot of twist per inch.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012 11:58:55 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012 05:39:20 PM »

Sorry this question has taken me a while to answer... Its a tricky one.  But I've come to the conclusion that if you ( or any other spinner/ weaver) needs to ply their warp yarn with a commercial yarn to feel confident in its structure to hold up to the tension of warping, then go ahead. 
As to the knitters and crocheters, if you should choose to ply or even core spin, that would be okay to.  Please keep the majority(51%+) of your item spun from fluffy fiber, please Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cupcake ATM Opens Up in NYC
How to Make a Sheet Tray Cookie Bar
How to Make Rum-Spiked Grilled Pineapple
4 Super-Simple Banana Snacks You Need to Try
How to Make Meyer Lemon Sponge Kisses
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...