A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,857
Currently Running With Scissors:
789 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to make this dress???  (Read 3909 times)
Tags for this thread: prom_dress , pattern_draft_help , fantasy , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kraize4step
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011 12:29:01 PM »

I was also curious to know if there was a specific different way the tutu was constructed? It looks like a layer of black and purple but  it also looks like its various different lengths?? Any help is apprecited
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^.^ desire to be you ^.^
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011 02:04:21 PM »

I'd say you've got at least three tiers of material there.  Each tier looks like it's constructed out of both black and purple, held together.  The bottom most tier is the long train-bits in the back.  The middle tier is the slightly longer uneven lengths, and then the top tier is the very tightly gathered or pleated part that sticks straight out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
N30Nb100d
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011 05:15:49 PM »

I don't think this has been mentioned yet - to me it looks like a combo of tulle and organza layers, with the organza possibly having fishing line in it's hems so it spirals like that (especially on the longest hanging bits.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewshimmy
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012 02:53:29 PM »

I know I'm joining in late, but I didn't see anyone mention what I see so I decided to jump in with my interpretation.
Aislynn is on the right track - I see 3 sections to the skirt, possibly 4.
Starting at the bottom, which is the order I would construct it:
The long tails appear to be chiffon or organza spiral ruffles.  The ruffle is gentle which tells me they are large diameter circles with the tightest portion of the ruffle cut off.

The next up layer appears to be the tighter portion of the previously mentioned spiral ruffles.

Above this I see a loosely gathered tutu.  The link Hawkeye posted for making the tutu will work perfectly as that type would allow the separation for the leg to peek through as shown in the second picture.  I would use a layer of all colors in each knot rather than alternating colors and I would not push the knots as close together so the tutu drapes more.

The top layer reminds me of a huge Elizabethan Ruff made out of tulle.  I visualize layering the different tulle colors (possibly multiple layers of each) then gathering slightly and sewing them onto a skirt base in vertical lines.  Here's a breakdown of what I would do in case I haven't been clear enough.  You will need a REALLY long length of gathered tulle.  Starting at center back, stitch the gathered tulle in a vertical line from the top to the bottom of the skirt section.  Tie off your stitching but do not cut the tulle.  Turn the skirt around and stitch another line of tulle from bottom to top an inch (or whatever distance gives the fullness you are looking for) leaving and inch and a quarter (just slightly more than your space)of gathered tulle in between lines.  Repeat until you get back to where you started.

The most difficult part of constructing this skirt will be controlling it during sewing especially once you reach the top section.  You will wish for extra hands.

I hope this was helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiffi_333
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012 09:28:00 PM »

it kinda looks like a tutu with a few different lengths in the skirt it has the long in the back with shorter and shorter lengths building up, i think you can do it if you find a good tutu pattern. the black looks like a more shredded layre and the purple looks ruffled so its kinda like they stuck two styles of tutus together since ive seen tutorials for both styles before, just separately.  i think if you make the three layres separately, then put them all together into a waist band it would turn out the way you want.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012 09:28:55 PM by tiffi_333 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xcatface
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012 08:51:13 AM »

Nice to know i'm not alone in this crazy prom sewing journey lol I hope you post pics of the complete dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kraize4step
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012 02:51:41 PM »

Nice to know i'm not alone in this crazy prom sewing journey lol I hope you post pics of the complete dress.
  lolz will do ^.^ so far im on my 3rd prom dress. Im makin my sisters, mine, and a friends who cant afford one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^.^ desire to be you ^.^
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy International Cantonese Steamed Fish
Easy International Vietnamese Spring Rolls
Shanghai Pork/Easy International
Takoyaki to go with your Beer
Some basic ingredients for Chinese food
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...