A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etched Glass Canisters!  (Read 2709 times)
Tags for this thread: etching , glass  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grammardog
« on: September 11, 2011 05:34:28 PM »

(I don't know if this technically qualifies as a glass craft since I'm not really creating the glass itself...?  I may get booed out of the forum by all of you talented glassblowers and fusers...)

Inspired by my incessant scrolling through Pinterest, I recently reorganized my really messy pantry (seen here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/grammardog/sets/72157627601241276/).  I replaced many food boxes and bags with glass canisters.  I really liked the way my canisters looked with my handwritten labels on them, but even after just a few opening and closings, I noticed that they were starting to look a little worn.  (Obviously, it was the chocolate-covered pretzels canister that I noticed the wear on first.)  I figured they were going to start looking dingy pretty fast.  So, looking down the barrel of another sleepless night, I decided to do some glass etching.  Glass etching is one of the most satisfying and simple crafts around!  The etching cream does almost all of the work.  The hardest part is creating and applying your design, and that's only as hard as you make it.

Here is one of the finished products!

I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of small, stick-on letters.  They were exactly what I was looking for... super-sticky, made of pliable plastic, and a nice basic font:

I labelled each jar with the contents using the stickers... no prep to the canisters required:

Next I used masking tape to tape a rectangle around the words.  I didn't use a ruler or a measuring tape for any of this... just eyeballed it.  I wasn't interested in every canister being perfectly uniform.  I pressed the tape and the stickers down hard around all the edges to make sure no etching cream could sneak under there.

The next step is applying the etching cream.  Etching cream is a goopy liquid that looks sort of like hair conditioner with sand mixed into it.  I used Armour Etch, which is pretty expensive... about $40 for a medium-sized bottle.  I had a bottle on hand that I've been stretching for years, and you can, too, if you're as cheap as I am.  The cream should be applied over your stencil in a very thick layer... not dripping off, but it should not be at any risk of drying up.  If you apply it too thinly, like a layer of paint, the chemical process to etch the glass won't be effective, and you'll get uneven results.  If your stencil is carefully adhered to your surface, you can re-use a lot of the cream by brushing off the excess before rinsing it and putting it back in the bottle (if your stencil/stickers are a bit loose, brushing over your design too much could sweep the etching cream under the stickers and make your edges messy).  This is how I've made one bottle last through 10 years of projects, and I've found no ill effects from re-using it in this way.  You need to really glob it on thickly to get a consistent look, and it seems a waste to wash that all down the drain.  So buy the smallest bottle and make it last!

So you apply the etching cream with a paintbrush.  If you get it on your skin, it will burn you up, so be careful.  Also, it doesn't smell that bad, but you can tell it's totally giving you pulmonary disease, so use it in a well-ventilated area and you could even wear a mask if you're so inclined.  Leave the cream on the glass for no longer than a minute.  Any longer than that and it will continue etching deeper into the glass, creeping under your stickers and making your edges look blurry instead of nice and crisp.  I taped all the jars first, then set the microwave timer for an hour and went to town.  I managed about two jars at a time, rinsing one while the other etched, then globbing on the cream while another one etched.  I kept an eye on the ticking timer to note when each one needed a rinse.  As I rinsed the jars under warm water, I rubbed at the tape and stickers and eased them off.  Then I was done!  Here are some of the results:

Fusilli!

I went generic with some of the pasta jars since I like to switch it up with my noodles:

Some of the small jars couldn't fit their labels, but I ended up loving the modern, graphic look of the wraparound text:

Thanks for looking in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goomba
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011 06:03:16 PM »

very nice Something I have very much been thinking about for my salt and coffee canisters. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011 07:21:08 PM »

LOVE these! I learned the thick and goopy lesson the hard way when I screwed up a recent swap project by being too stingy with the etching cream Sad Thanks for the thrifty tips too. If you ever need another bottle, they do sell it at Michael's and you can use a 40% or 50% off coupon as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011 05:14:33 AM »

These absolutely belong on the glass boards. Smiley

Love the way you did them, and how they turned out. So clever using the sticky letters to get them done. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree27
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011 08:23:11 PM »

These are nice! I have been considering clear glass canisters for my kitchen counter, and I may have to use this idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annamaize
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011 12:20:28 PM »

Love these! So crisp and simple.

Also, thanks so much for the etching cream tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
everyonedrinks
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011 07:14:06 AM »

Those are awesome! Thanks for the tips--I've been thinking about trying to do some etched glass and your project has gotten me even more motivated. And, I liked the idea about using letter stickers. That would be much easier than cutting out the lettering on vinyl by hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everyone Drinks - Unique handcrafted gifts for the (adult) beverage lover.
http://www.everyonedrinks.com/
ColetteK
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011 10:47:40 AM »

These are really nice way to add a personal touch to those canisters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abbiyoung
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011 04:27:59 PM »

I love the look of the finished canisters; modern and neat, but with some personality too.  I've never tried etching, but this might be a good starter project.

Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Glam With Gretchen: How to Get Long-Lasting Lipstick
Stylish Surprise Makeover for a Busy Mom of Two
Peggy Fleming Brought Classic Glamour To The Winter Olympics
Emma Watson Makeup Tutorial
Rihanna Shares Fashion and Beauty Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...