A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 305,035
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charity Reject - Ceiling lights to Decorative planters  (Read 4493 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Balatong
Tutorial Contributor

chain, chain, chain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 08, 2011 10:38:05 AM »

After converting our ceiling lights to recessed lighting, I took some to a donation center.  For some reason they said they couldn't accept them.  

I took one apart and found another use for it...

I used plants that were readily available either from my own backyard, or from a nice neighbor.

Here's another planter, but I only used the bowl from a ceiling fixture.  I call it "Half Moon" because the white sedum look very much like stars.  The silver platter is one that I got from a thrift shop and it is upside down.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012 07:56:49 AM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eclecticlyfe
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011 11:11:52 AM »

Lovely ! Their loss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something."  Lao Tzu
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011 01:13:29 PM »

Love it! It is a beautiful addition to your lovely home! You are so clever -- it looks very zen like and who would guess what it was!

Most charities cannot accept them because of the potential danger to others as they cannot guarantee that the wires and stuff are safe after taken out of the original box...I know because I have a whole box of nice ceiling fixtures that I think Habitat for Humanity will take since they have electricians who can check them out....but other charities would not take them at all Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kcraft49
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011 07:14:22 PM »

Those are so cool. Like Like. Great idea, we have a few of those laying around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011 04:25:57 PM »

What a great idea, and so nicely executed!  Can you describe a bit of what you did?  Last night while walking the dogs I saw one of these a neighbor had put out on the lawn and brought it home thinking I might change out a ceiling fixture somewhere...but you've created a vastly better use for it I'd like to try doing myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Balatong
Tutorial Contributor

chain, chain, chain

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012 05:39:29 PM »

What a great idea, and so nicely executed!  Can you describe a bit of what you did?  Last night while walking the dogs I saw one of these a neighbor had put out on the lawn and brought it home thinking I might change out a ceiling fixture somewhere...but you've created a vastly better use for it I'd like to try doing myself!

Hello waterbaby,
As always I'm kicking myself for not taking photos for a tutorial.  I will try to explain as best I can...
First, I unscrewed the bowl from the base of the lamp.
I would recommend using gloves because it does have a pad of fiberglass.
I removed all the padding, bulbs, and the wires until I was left with 4 pieces:  The base, the bowl, the tip and the stem that attaches everything together.
The bowl was placed upside down onto the base, and the two were connected with the stem, topped by the tip.
I put about 1.5 inches worth of gravel in the bowl to weigh it down, then I only put potting soil around the circumference of the bowl.  In the center I put more gravel, then decorative rock.  After planting some cuttings, I layered the soil with some moss.  There are holes on the base, so I just put decorative river rock on it to cover the holes.
I hope these instructions make sense.  If you do proceed with creating a planter, I would love to see it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012 01:54:05 PM »

Love this idea. Makes me wish I had reject lighting like yours to make these. I'll have to keep an eye open on the flea markets! Or convince my mother she needs different lighting in her bedroom, she has a light fixture that is very similar to your first one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
KirBee

Attic light is always on

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012 08:18:43 PM »

They are beautiful! This would be a great mother's day gift. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012 11:46:47 PM »

Balatong, thanks so much for the detailed description of your method. Will start working on making one myself just as soon as I can figure out just where to put it (the light fixture I picked up is a good 16 inches across).

And I really like the second planter you added to your original post, too -- another clever and charming idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012 11:42:07 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2011 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Content Aware Fill in Photoshop CS5
How to Create an HDR Image in Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Rotobrush Tool in After Effects
Where to Find 3D Visualization Resources
How to Use Free Stuff from Google in Funtimerhinestone
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...