A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cotton Gingham and dress shirts. Please help!  (Read 786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Colibrie
« on: December 07, 2011 11:42:52 AM »

Hi. What a great and wonderful forum I am so happy to have come across. My first and hopefully not last post is to try and decide what to do with 5 or so shirts my husband and I do not wear anymore. They are frayed from years of wear and tear. I do not want to give them away as they are so soft and actually bring on lots of memories  Cheesy
I am not a big crafter as of yet and am open to any ideas. Please help me rescue these gems before my husband retires them to the rag bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011 02:23:57 PM »

If they have large enough piece, you could cut them into large squares and hem them for handkerchiefs. Soft handkies can be a blessing for sore noses at this time of year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
doveylou
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011 08:46:52 PM »

If the body of the shirt is intact, you can make a cute slipcover for a throw pillow in just a few minutes.  Measure the pillow you want to cover.  Make yourself a paper pattern that is the size of the pillow, plus about .5" seam allowance on each side.  (So if your pillow is 20" square, make a pattern that is 21" square.)  Button your shirt and turn it inside out.  Lay it flat with the front of the shirt facing up.  Place your pattern on top, positioning it so that the buttons run down the center of the pattern.  Make sure that none of the buttons will be too close to the seam allowance or you will have trouble stitching your seams.  When you have it positioned the way you want, pin the pattern down (or draw around it if you prefer) and cut it out, cutting through both the front and back of the shirt.  Next remove the pattern and stitch your seams all around using a .5" seam allowance.  You don't need to leave a gap for turning, because you can unbutton the shirt to turn it right side out.  Then just put your pillow inside and button it up.  This is a fun way to cover old pillows that have faded or gotten dingy or just don't match the rest of your stuff.  I have made a bunch of these Stuffed Shirt pillows out of old denim shirts and blue dress shirts, and they get tons of use in my living room.  When they get dirty (and in my house, everything gets dirty), I just throw them in with the laundry and they are good as new.  If your shirts are loosely woven and you expect to wash the pillow covers a lot, you might want to pink the raw edges or apply a seam sealer to prevent fraying in the washer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011 12:04:41 AM »

Maybe a half-apron? I think they're called carpenters Aprons. Washcloths, baby doll clothes, if you quilt, I think a little wall quilt would be pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter Talk About Chicken Cheeks
Susanna Clark Talks About A House in Fez
Jimmy Gownley Talks About Amelia Rules
Andrew Griffiths Talks About Me Myth
Carin Rubenstein Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...