A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Keeping track of where you are... Tips?  (Read 1509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011 07:09:43 AM »

For keeping track of shaping, such as armholes, get yourself a whole bunch of removable stitch markers. They don't have to be "formal" stitch markers, paper clips, safety pins, or bits of scrap yarn in a contrasting color will work. Every time you make a decrease/increase put a marker in the last stitch of the row. That way it's really easy to see if you need to work shaping again (such as every 4th row) or if you have done enough of them yet. If you have enough markers to leave them in when you are knitting other pieces it can also help you match up the shaping later when you seam things.

Oooh! I'm definitely going to try that. I'll save my scrap yarn to mark stitches. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Tephra
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011 08:11:55 AM »

For keeping track of shaping, such as armholes, get yourself a whole bunch of removable stitch markers. They don't have to be "formal" stitch markers, paper clips, safety pins, or bits of scrap yarn in a contrasting color will work. Every time you make a decrease/increase put a marker in the last stitch of the row. That way it's really easy to see if you need to work shaping again (such as every 4th row) or if you have done enough of them yet. If you have enough markers to leave them in when you are knitting other pieces it can also help you match up the shaping later when you seam things.

Oooh! I'm definitely going to try that. I'll save my scrap yarn to mark stitches. Thanks!

For paired shaping you want to mark the first and last stitch of course. It was late when I posted and I only said last stitch. Smiley It's very, very handy to have them all marked up like that. I also feel like I've actually made progress in my knitting that way, sometimes it seems I've knit and knit for ages and not added any length to things. I tend to do the markers in the row ends thing on long stretches of straight knitting too, every 10 rows or so, so that I'm sure the parts are the same length. (Though more often i just knit the parts at the same time on the same long circular, so for me the every 10 rows thing is more "yes, I really have been knitting on this and gremlins have not been frogging it when I've been sleeping".)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011 09:59:20 AM »

for marking patterns, I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sticky-Highlight-Markers-Arrow-Colors/dp/B005GJB8C4

for rememberig what I've done, I actually write stuff on a postit or a bit of paper and pin it to the work. it's the only way I have found that works for me
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hooksforfeet
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012 12:57:31 PM »

I love stitch counters. Those little stitch markers that look like a combination lock. When I'm doing lace or anything with a chart, I use the stitch counter to keep track of what row I'm on. That way when I put it down, I can pick it back up and know what row I'm supposed to be on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Clone Yourself in After Effects
How To Make A Simple Logo
How To Add Styles In Fireworks
How To Turn Yourself Into A Zombie in Photoshop
How To Import Your PSD Layout Into Dreamweaver Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...