Hey all - For the November Pinterest Swap I picked Modus Operandi and I made her a stuffed rhino head. I also made one for myself! Here is my journey.
For the inspiration -I don't know if you have ever seen those leather Rhino Stools, that you can see all the seams and they are really neat? http://pinterest.com/pin/269230883943386922/
. I also used the original head in my partners pinterest as inspiration but it was a bit of her inspiration and a bit my own as well.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of my pattern making process which was actually pretty cool. It felt a bit like cheating, but It worked out so well, I will probably do it again. I had seen on a couple of websites and blogs a technique to cover a cheap toy with cellophane and then masking tape to make a pattern. ( This one here > (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=324988.0
) shows you how to do it to make mascots but I used the same principals) What you do is cover the part you want to make with the cellophane in a thin layer, then you put thin strips of masking tape all over it. You then take a thin marker and mark out your pattern pieces, making the pieces so that any time there is a curve, you are creating a separate piece. I probably went a little overboard with how many parts I broke it down into but I think it added to the effect of the leather look. I then used an exacto blade to cut the pieces off the rhino, then I laid them all out on a piece of cardstock, and photocopied them making them 300% percent larger than the original toy.
As you can see there are a LOT of pieces. The website I had seen this on was for foam construction not necessarily fabric and sewing, so I had to add 1/4 seam allowance on all my pieces. I used a faux leather and a grey velvety fabric that had a wonderful little bit of stretch that just gave me a bit more forgiveness!
I then sewed it all together which seemed to take very little time, then I stuffed it put a backing on it, then glued it to a painted dollar store plaque! and voila a trophy rhino head without ever having to hurt a single rhino! (Unless they get offended by how I've represented them.. can't help that..)
This is the faux leather and the photo at the top is in grey velvet. I kept the leather looking one and it now hangs happily on our wall. Also That was my experiment to see if this would actually work. I would highly recommend this pattern creating technique.. It was really neat, very fast, and it worked!