A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "uncruel" Trophy Rhino Head  (Read 3852 times)
Tags for this thread: wall_art  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 07, 2011 08:10:42 AM »

Hey all - For the November Pinterest Swap I picked Modus Operandi and I made her a stuffed rhino head.  I also made one for myself! Here is my journey.

For the inspiration -I don't know if you have ever seen those leather Rhino Stools, that you can see all the seams and they are really neat? http://pinterest.com/pin/269230883943386922/. I also used the original head in my partners pinterest as inspiration but it was a bit of her inspiration and a bit my own as well. 

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of my pattern making process which was actually pretty cool. It felt a bit like cheating, but It worked out so well, I will probably do it again.  I had seen on a couple of websites and blogs a technique to cover a cheap toy with cellophane and then masking tape to make a pattern. ( This one here > (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=324988.0) shows you how to do it to make mascots but I used the same principals) What you do is cover the part you want to make with the cellophane in a thin layer, then you put thin strips of masking tape all over it.  You then take a thin marker and mark out your pattern pieces, making the pieces so that any time there is a curve, you are creating a separate piece. I probably went a little overboard with how many parts I broke it down into but I think it added to the effect of the leather look. I then used  an exacto blade to cut the pieces off the rhino, then I laid them all out on a piece of cardstock, and photocopied them making them 300% percent larger than the original toy.

As you can see there are a LOT of pieces.  The website I had seen this on was for foam construction not necessarily fabric and sewing, so I had to add 1/4 seam allowance on all my pieces. I used a faux leather and a grey velvety fabric that had a wonderful little bit of stretch that just gave me a bit more forgiveness!

I then sewed it all together which seemed to take very little time, then I stuffed it put a backing on it, then glued it to a painted dollar store plaque! and voila a trophy rhino head without ever having to hurt a single rhino! (Unless they get offended by how I've represented them.. can't help that..)

This is the faux leather and the photo at the top is in grey velvet. I kept the leather looking one and it now hangs happily on our wall. Also That was my experiment to see if this would actually work. I would highly recommend this pattern creating technique.. It was really neat, very fast, and it worked!

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011 08:56:54 AM »

It is so great.... I am now thinking of wonderfull things to make Huh .

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011 10:20:53 AM »

Woah that's a lot of pattern pieces and looks like a lot of work! But it turned out super cute! <3
Lurky McLurkerson

Go go... not cry cry.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011 11:10:06 AM »

Luv the velvet... gives it some richness and sheen.  Imagine it in fuchsia velvet!

The world is divided into two kinds of people:  those who have tattoos, and those who are afraid of people with tattoos.  ~Author Unknown

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011 11:26:38 AM »

Wow love this, don't know how you kept your cool working with that many pattern pieces though!

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011 11:49:31 AM »

Well well Rataxes, looks like the jig is up!

(heehee this is so cool! great tailoring, and another fine use of the toy-masking-tape-enlargement technique)

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
Miss Dolly is my GreatDane

Dedicated dog walker

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011 12:42:23 PM »

OMG i hit this rocks, that is some fabulous wall piece!!!

"The only hell my mum raised was me"

Personal swaps welcome...
lilies in my cereal

i design with every breath

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011 04:01:21 PM »

I love it! It makes me think of Anthropologie! Cheesy

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011 02:17:14 PM »

This is AMAZING! I'm a collector of all things rhino, and I used to have a resin rhino head that was from a beer company... I was so sad when it broke, but this is waaaaaaay better! I may have to try my hand at this someday. Thank you for sharing!!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011 06:39:44 PM »

Amazing! Good job!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Spooky Halloween Shrubs
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...