A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
778 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Amigurumi!  (Read 933 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2011 07:03:52 AM »

My sweet little nephew saw me making a crocheted octopus this Summer, and he decided (privately) that he would really like to have it. He also decided that his little brother would like one, too. And, like most little kids, he has a great memory. He asked me in late October if I had finished his and his brother's octopuses. Huh The octopus I made originally was too cute for me to part with, so I decided to make them their own. And because their birthdays weren't anytime soon, I had to figure out a good time to gift them the toys. Our family draws names for gifts at Christmas, and I had no way of assuring that my husband and I would draw their two names (and we didn't). To give them the octopuses at Christmas would involve leaving out the other kids. I couldn't do that! I made Christmas toys for all of the little kids! Grin Octopuses for the boys and bunnies for the girls. I dyed all of the yarn, with the exception of the purple.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

This Shall Be For Music

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011 07:41:29 AM »

I love your octopus.  Where can I purchase a pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
CrittyLu
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011 08:08:52 AM »

I have decided (not so privately  Grin) that I want one too!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011 04:24:00 PM »

I love your octopus.  Where can I purchase a pattern?

Thanks! But, I still haven't written it out. Embarrassed I'm lazy. There is some discussion on its construction here and here and here if you're up to winging it. Each one I make is different from the rest because I can't be bothered to write down any coherent instructions for myself, let alone something that anyone else would understand...I really don't know how to describe what it is that I'm doing half the time.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sakuracat23

Don't make me get the flying Monkeys!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011 04:46:18 PM »

i usually dont care for octopuses (octopi...plural for octopus...lmao) but these are not just cute they're pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tendstowardschaos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011 06:21:11 PM »

Thank you, sakuracat23! I never had a thing for these eight-legged lovelies, either... until I saw another Craftster's polymer clay octopus pendant...I started looking at them in a whole new light. Now, I just love them to pieces!

I've been making so many lately that I tried to find out the collective noun for them...like, a pod of whales, or a murder of crows. I don't think that there is one, because they are solitary creatures. But, I did find out that octopuses, octopodes, and octopi are all commonly acceptable plural forms of octopus (less common are: octopodis and octopedes). Though, the word is Greek, not Latin, so some technical people frown on the use of 'octopi.' I used to use 'octopi' all the time, but, now I think 'octopuses' is just more fun to say. LOL! Cheesy Sorry...I'm a fount of useless knowledge and fun facts, and very addicted to google searches. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Gluten Free Chocolate Mousse
No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
Lemon-Ginger-Mint Cookies Recipe
4 Great Bacon Desserts
Vegan Peanut Butter Ice Cream Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...