A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chopstick knitting needles  (Read 4216 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hollflanders

The Stitch Queen of New Orleans

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2004 09:16:06 PM »

http://members.cox.net/hollie1216/singlepoints.jpg

http://members.cox.net/hollie1216/size9front.jpg

http://members.cox.net/hollie1216/doublepoints.jpg

How I did it:

1. I went to a Chinese restaurant and grabbed a handful of chopsticks.

2. Once home, I took a cheap pencil sharpener and sharpened the chopsticks to a point (or points, depending...)

3. I took my battery operated manicure kit and sanded the chopsticks down. I find this works tons better than sandpaper, considering that nail shaping and filing is essentially sanding.

4. I took a piece of wax paper and buffed the chopsticks that way.

5. I went to Wal-Mart and got some cute little buttons for the ends. When I asked about Fimo clay, the sales droids were clueless. "You want what?"

6. When I got home, I glued the buttons to the bottoms of the chopsticks. I found out that Elmer's School Glue didn't work. The buttons kept falling off. I needed something stronger. Super Glue? Didn't have any. I scouted around the garage. Et voila! Liquid Nails. Not Nine Inch Nails, mind you, but Liquid Nails.

They're sitting in a glass on my dresser "curing". The adhesive is a combination synthetic rubber and something else (epoxy?). Anyway, the stuff WORKS, and there's no way in hell that I can remove the buttons from the bottoms once that stuff dries.
Then, why would I want to?

7. The size 3s are made from a pair of bamboo barbecue skewers. They were the smaller ones. The larger ones gauge to a size 5.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011 10:01:52 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
josiepearl07

I'M A HELLISH GARGOYLE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004 10:58:45 AM »

Grin Cool those are so cool !! i have a bunch of chopsticks and skewers from many a bbq and chinese takeouts , i was wondering how to make them and here you are ..a genuis !! thanks and also these should be able to get past security when traveling , i know they confiscate the metal ones which really bites , and if they take these ones no problem you can make more when you land at your next destination.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollflanders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004 05:52:16 PM »

Hi and thank you! I have a lace bookmark going on my size 3s (the "hot kisses" pair) right now.

I haven't flown in a while, but I'd be devastated if these babies got confiscated.  Yeah, I know they're cheap, but they're homemade.

Glad you like 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004 06:25:06 PM »

If you have long hair and are worried about them taking them, string your knitting on a cord (and tie the cord into a loop).   Then take the needles and put you hair up with them.  I actually saw a grandmotherly type woman do this on my last flight.  She said she started doing this after losing a pair to airport security.  She does it every flight now and says no one has bothered her about her hair pins. Smiley  Of course those weren't the metal kind.  They were bamboo.  I'm tempted to try the trick on my next flight with so of my old bent metal ones.  If I do it I'll let you know if I get past.  (Ahhh!  Please don't use that rounded metal tip on me!  That's more dangerous than a ball point pen! Ahhh!  How in the world does someone threaten a planeful of people with a metal knitting needle?  Truely insane.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollflanders

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004 07:05:48 AM »

My hair is shoulder length, though I'm trying to grow it out longer.  I'll have to try out your suggestion the next time I fly.

I'm not normally a fan of metal needles--I much prefer wood or bamboo, so this may actually work.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chris_wass
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004 07:57:35 AM »

Knitting needles and crochet hooks ARE now allowed on airplanes according to the TSA regulations: http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_12_18_2003.pdf. And you can bring plastic round-tipped child-safe craft scissors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
yvettebaguette
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005 10:07:13 PM »

my grandmother taught me and all my cousins to knit on chopsticks. cheap and not so pointy as regular needles they work great for teaching little kids!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Innovators are inevitably controversial"
-eva la galliene
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Jason Mattera on Crapitalism
Author Jason Mattera Takes on Harry Reid, Maxine Waters, and Greg Meeks
How the Roosevelts Celebrated Thanksgiving
How to Tackle the Holidays Like a Boss
Nicholas Sparks on His Novels
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...