A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 306,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am designing and building a craft space from scratch... what tips do you have  (Read 543 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 22, 2016 05:34:06 AM »

I am planning (and will be building) from scratch a craft corner in a larger room. It will be in a corner, so L shaped space. The short length of the L will be approx 1.5 m (4 feet ish) and the longer side will be about 2 m (6ish)

I sew, I paint, I do paper stuff, stencilling and a bit of jewellery making. So I need
  • Fabric storage
  • paper and ephemera storage
  • clean workbench for sewing and a 'dirty' one for painting etc
  • tool storage

The room will also be used as a sitting room, so the more organisation systems that I use, the better.

Constraints-space obviously, no sink, very limited budget.

so what has been essential to you in your craft space?
Any things you regret having or not having?
Any clever low cost storage solutions?
Any ideas on specific heights for benches. I know that sewing machine heights should be different to say painting?
What am I not thinking about??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desperately in search of popcorn flavourings-they don't sell them here Sad I have a new air popper and am stuck with boring flavours.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

'Best of 2014' Winner

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016 07:34:42 AM »

I have two metal racks in my craft room, and couldn't live without them.  I also have something I store small stuff in.  Here are some links to show you what I'm talking about. 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71034-80752-184874C-DS_1z11pf9__?productId=3473479&pl=1

http://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-10144-20-Inch-16-Inch-Hardware/dp/B003P2UOCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456155035&sr=8-1&keywords=akro+mils+organizer

I keep fabric in stackable storage bins under my work table, which is a small dining table that I got at a second hand store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monkeyee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016 12:10:20 AM »

I usually like to sort all stuff out , getting rid of anything I don't need or want. Then put those stuff on my new LANGRIA 4 tier storage rack,just bought it last month and costed me $40.
I always buy what I need, so no regret.
Rack is a good solution for storing, but it's limited. The best way is making full use of your kitchen and living room.
As for specific heights for benches, it depends on yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geekgirl1000100
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016 05:50:54 AM »

I have 2 sheving units similar to MissingWillow.
And then on the shelves, I have baskets and other organizing storage containers that I group craft items together.  Like a basket for all my glue and adhesives, a plastic bin for all my washi tape and ribbon, etc.

I have two metal racks in my craft room, and couldn't live without them.  I also have something I store small stuff in.  Here are some links to show you what I'm talking about. 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71034-80752-184874C-DS_1z11pf9__?productId=3473479&pl=1

http://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-10144-20-Inch-16-Inch-Hardware/dp/B003P2UOCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456155035&sr=8-1&keywords=akro+mils+organizer

I keep fabric in stackable storage bins under my work table, which is a small dining table that I got at a second hand store.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016 11:15:18 AM »

You need LOTS of table space.  I'd start by creating tables against the wall all along both sides of the L.  Make sure you can reach all the way to the back of the table; I have a table that's too wide, and stuff gets annoyingly out of reach (I actually have to STAND UP to get to it Shocked ).  Actually, I used to have a 4'x8' table, and cut it down because I lost so much stuff at the back. 

If you work standing up, you'll need a taller table.  It depends on how tall YOU are, though.  If you figure out your storage first, you can plan your tables to accommodate it.  For instance, make the tables an inch higher so you can stack two tubs of supplies instead of one tub and wasted space.  Maybe sewing table should be shorter, but I've never had a problem using my portable on a standard height table.  Better to have a table that works for all kinds of stuff than a specialty space that only works for sewing.

I put a divider between the wet and dry tables (a chunk of 2x4), then covered the wet table with heavy plastic (a shower curtain), extending the plastic up the wall behind and over the divider so spills don't stain the walls or invade the dry table.

Storage drawers and/or bins under the tables, but leave room for your knees.  A filing cabinet with hanging folders can hold lots of papers.  I have a funky old one that has one file drawer and one regular drawer, where I keep my paper cutters and related tools.

A wheelie chair to move from one work station to another.  Unless you work standing up.

Shelves on the wall behind the table, and maybe an area of pegboard for hanging tools.  Again, make sure the tables aren't so wide that you can't get to the items on the walls.

A gallon jug of water and a slops bowl (large, deep, and stable) can somewhat make up for lack of sink.

Fabric storage--I used to have 12" deep shelves a foot apart covering an entire 9'x8' wall, completely full of fabric.   It was always messy, the fabric was exposed to dust and sun damage, and I was never going to use 99% of it.  Now I keep  it in covered plastic tubs, sorted by color, and go through and discard fabric when there gets to be too much to fit in the tubs.  There are always people on Craigslist that will take fabric and craft supplies that you don't need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016 09:45:57 AM »

steiconi, thanks so much for that, I love the idea of a proper divider between the wet and dry areas, some really good ideas, thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desperately in search of popcorn flavourings-they don't sell them here Sad I have a new air popper and am stuck with boring flavours.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...