A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,809
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My (former) basement room/apt  (Read 4906 times)
Tags for this thread: mural  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 04, 2011 06:27:48 AM »

I just realized I have something awesome I could share! Yay! hehe.

So, my mom and I moved from this super crappy little rented townhouse, into a fabulous lovely new townhouse she bought. I took the basement (which is huge), that is finished, has a full bathroom, a wetbar, and larger size of mini-fridge, and I made it my own. It took me ages to finish it, but I looooove how it came out, and so does everyone who's seen it. No one wants to believe I actually did it myself! LoL.

This was the start:

(note all the paintchips on the floor, haha)

Try to pretend this isn't a crappy cell-phone pic in horrible light from a phone I'd had since like 2004 lol:

(we've moved from paint chips to paint cans littering the floor! Tongue

And the [just about] finished thing:

(I did eventually finish the last couple squares! LOL)

I'm really annoyed I didn't notice until I'd painted that I messed up the one part (lower middle), by not having the gold square overlap the darker purple one, but oh well, it still looks great! There's a couple other random little squares on that blue wall and the little bit of wall that's on the ceiling facing into that part of the room. I didn't really have too much plan going in, I made a quick sketch but it's hard to get the idea of size on a little paper from a huge wall, so it was only a really basic guide. I pretty much just picked up the tape, used the level to make it in a straight line, did it to a size I liked, cut it, then measured it and made the other sides. When I finally picked the colors, I just opened up an editing program, opened the 1st photo here, and made quick rough squares over them using appx colors of the paint, to make sure I figured out a nice spread out arrangement of the colors, where none would be touching themselves and they'd all get a roughly equalish amount of wall space. And then I used some Tink decals from Home Depot and incorporated them, partially, into the square designs!

Better view of Tink:

I miss it!! lol
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011 07:11:08 AM »

Don't mention the square you didn't overlap again - EVER - I doubt anyone would have noticed and if anyone says anything tell them you planned it that way as a conversation piece. LOL I love what you did.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011 07:13:03 AM »

LOL. Yeah when people look at the room I don't point it out and no one has said anything Tongue But I figured with a bunch of crafty folk, someone would be sure to notice! hahahaha. Thanks! Cheesy
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011 07:14:11 AM »

It looks great - good work with the colors!

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011 07:18:41 AM »

Thanks! There was MUCH stressing over colors, I'm a nerd like that; I took like a million different chips and spent ages fiddling with them all, casting aside, debating, mixing & matching various ones and such, lmao, before I fiiiiinally settled on those colors & shades. So much agonizing! hahaha.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011 09:00:14 AM »

Amazing! I tried something like this once and it was an epic fail. I know this took a lot of hard work and planning. Good for you!
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011 10:53:08 AM »

Admire anyone who takes on this kind of task. That took a lot of work and prep. Like the colors, too. Smiley

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011 11:56:12 AM »

Thanks guys! Cheesy
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011 09:59:55 PM »

wow that looks awesome!!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011 02:10:34 AM »

Thankies! Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Natsu Dragneel
How to Draw Mashiro
How to Draw Maruga
Artist Depicts What Wi-Fi Signals Would Look Like With Photos
How to Draw Lucy Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...