A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,871
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: T-shirt dyeing to fix discoloring?  (Read 890 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WhyWeFight
« on: June 17, 2005 04:15:04 PM »

I dont' know about all of you but I have horrible luck with t-shirts. I looove t-shirts but they always end up getting ruined! From my toothpaste to chlorine soaked kids who want hugs to the mysterious basement floor my t-shirts always end up getting bleached and ruined. It's usually just a tiny spot that's bleached in the most noticeable of places.

I just got a shirt from Threadless (the Russel shirt) and I LOVE IT. But unfortunately my niece got out of the pool and hugged me and it got wrecked. Sad! I only had it two days!  Sad So Threadless said I could return it but they don't have any more girl Russell shirts. I'm wrecked! So I was thinking maybe if you lovely ladies said I could somehow fix this shirt by perhaps taking out all of the color with the Ritz stuff and redying it I would. And maybe I could fix my other shirts!

What do you guys think? I only want to do this if it's going to work. Otherwise I'm out ten bucks and one of my favorite shirts. Any other suggestions?

Thank you my dears!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pink_vinyl
Shamis

Everybody wang chung tonite

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005 08:53:20 PM »

Is the shirt solid colored?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is beautiful? ~Ben Kweller
WhyWeFight
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005 08:18:38 AM »

Yeah it's liksted as a silver color. It' just a solid light gray. The bleach spots are peachy. And then there's the silk screening which I don't think the dye would hurt? I'm willing to dye it another color, doesn't have to be silver but I really don't want peach haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feedthesquirrels
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005 07:31:58 PM »

I have the same problem. Bought a new shirt which became my favorite...wore it twice, washed it, and now it has white spots where it somehow got bleached out (i didn't even have any bleach in there...I'm thinking this is from pouring the soap in before letting the water rise *oops*). It's a very light blue, but it's also very noticible. It has dark blue screenprinting on it. If I bought some sky blue dye, would it look ok? I've never dyed a shirt before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my sewing adventures at http://shonastitches.blogspot.com
WhyWeFight
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005 07:08:09 PM »

No ideas lovely ladies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
choirgirl
melodramatic photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005 09:36:01 AM »

Depending on what the shirt is made of, you might have good luck with dyeing it. If it is a cotton shirt, use something like Dylon Cold Fix dye on it (I buy it at Dick Blick) and not Rit or any all-purpose dye, because those don't always produce consistent results. But you also could end up with a dark shirt with a lighter spot where the bleach was.

You could also decide to go with the bleach, and splatter some more on it. That look is kind of "in" right now.

Screen printing, or even an iron-on t-shirt transfer might actually be your best bet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhyWeFight
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005 05:50:20 PM »

It's already screen printed so I don't want to add anymore. It is 100 percent cotton.  I was thinking about taking all the color out of it and redying it. I'm going to look up that Dye you suggested. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005 05:53:57 PM by WhyWeFight » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005 06:09:42 PM »

First of all

Make the rule of no hugging wet kids straight from the pool.  It's hard but stand fast.

don't wear your good clothes around the pool if you can't stick to the first rule.

check the amount of chlorine in the pool, I don't think that it should be strong enough to bleach clothes, can't be good for the kiddies.

Ok that said,

First rinse out bleach affected clothes with vinegar water mix, you need to neutralise the bleach, it can weaken fabrics. 

Over dying often won't work, the bleach marks will still be noticeable, usually on black after overdying with black they will look brown.  But all is not lost, put an embellishment over the bleached area, make a feature of it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bob Drury: What Are You Reading?
Nancy Ohlin: What Are You Reading?
History in Five: Matthew Hart on the Evolution of Gold
Iscariot by Tosca Lee Trailer
Curl Up By The Fire With These Wonderful Holiday Books
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...