A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,878
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My friend is moving to Germany...  (Read 3100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NoSleep
« on: June 17, 2005 03:32:00 PM »

My friend is going to Germany for next year and I wanted to make her a kind of "survival kit" type thing to take with her.  Except I'm stuck for things to put in it.  I was gonna make her stationery, envelopes, etc. and somehow buy her some German stamps (online I guess...) and make her a mix CD.  I also have a photo album with pictures of things she'll miss about home (like a picture of our school, a picture of our favorite restaurant, etc.)  But I'm stuck for ideas.  Anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessliak
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005 05:55:29 AM »

Some little things about Germany might be nice... my husband got stationed over there for a while and I bought him this little book with funny german sayings, best places to eat / see over there.  Maybe a phone card for her to call you (make sure it can go international)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss.blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
Eterne
Wombat-like

I always wanted a monkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005 08:35:04 AM »

I just got back from spending a year in France, so here's my two cents:

My very thoughtful friends showered me with gifts the night before I left, but I had already packed and some of it was well intentioned-but bulky, and I was forced to leave it behind.  Things like a crafted piece of jewelry will remind her of you when she wears it.  I love the idea of a picture album, but it should be very very small.  Even better is sending her gifts that remind her of home throughout the year.  A care package with ranch dressing, her favorite candy, a hand-knit scarf, or whatever is so wonderful to receive.  Even things like Nyquil and green apple sour straws are really simple, but really hard to get ahold of abroad.  And do continue to take pictures and post them online for her to see all year!  And send her mail, just a post-card every few weeks helps you feel loved while you're in a strange place. 

Good luck to you both!  It can be a challenging time, but very rewarding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you ever teach a yodeling class, probably the hardest thing is to keep the students from just trying to yodel right off. You see, we build to that.
NoSleep
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005 10:34:09 AM »

Thank you princessliak and Eterne, both very helpful suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thefloridagurl
Crafting keeps me sane.

Rockabilly with a Vintage twist

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005 06:58:57 AM »

I am German, and I moved here a year ago, so I guess I can tell you what she is gonna miss in Germany:

PEANUTBUTTER!!!

Some CDs she won't get there (Keith Urban or Dave Matthews Band for example - they have no clue who they are!)

A1 (...not sure if she is gonna miss THAT though...)

I am using Aussie hair products here, and she won't get them there, so maybe ask her what she is usually using. If she uses different stuff, I am more than glad to let you know if it's available there!

Aspirin and other pain killer are a lot stronger there, so maybe you wanna get her some American Aspirin or Ibuprofen

And what I would do - get one of those disposable cameras, take pictures and send her the camera so she can develop the pictures herself. I always thought that's funny when my friends did that, cause you have no idea what you are getting  Shocked

That's all I can think of right now, but I will let you know if something pops up in my mind. I hope I could help a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HHH
No, not the wrestler.

Happiness is a warm min pin...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005 07:36:21 AM »

Yeah I was going to say that most of her usual toiletries are not available over there so instead of a huge gift now make her a gift certificate for a toiletry subscription...

Find out what products she uses and send her them every three months or so.

Toothpaste
Shampoo
conditioner
hair styling product
deodorant
painkillers
etc
oh and I have a friend over there now that is always asking us to send him his deodorant, aspirin, and q-tips...evidently q-tips are different there. He swaps me for several dozen Kinder Eggs that I love.

Maybe in exchange you could get her to mail you some Kinder Eggs, these are great! Chocolate covered plastic eggs with toy surprises you put together yourself. Lots of fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for a Miniater Pinscher? Try a rescue pup!
http://www.minpinrescue.org/

My Blog: http://everythingholley.blogspot.com/
TravelBel
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005 07:42:58 AM »

I spent a month in Germany after I graduated high school. I agree with Eterne that care packages while she's there will mean a lot too and it was very hard to take a lot of things with me because of the luggage/weight issue.

Things I missed/needed while I was gone!

-Reeses Peanut Butter Cups
-Gum (for some reason, I didn't like the gum over there)
-Calling cards
-Hearing radio stations from US (make a CD/tape of a couple of hours of her favorite radio station. This is something you could send her every couple of weeks or so!
-I LOVE the jewelry idea! My boyfriend (now husband) gave me a bracelet before I left and it reminded me of him!
-Holiday care packages for holidays other people don't normally think of (halloween, labor day, etc.)

Just a few ideas! Hope they help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muze
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005 07:50:31 AM »

I was thinking of doing the same thing for a friend of mine who's moving to the US for a year! (I'm Dutch)

Anyhow, she probably has one allready, but if she doesn't: a world adaptor. You could also get her a map of Berlin or any other large city she's most probably going to visit. Or... a magazine to read on the plane?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NoSleep
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005 06:04:29 PM »

Hey everyone, thanks for the GREAT ideas.  I know I'm definitely gonna send her stuff throughout the time that she's there, but I still want to give her something before she goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewantstoknow
"sometimes you just gotta say What the FUCK?"

"I'm damaged bad at best"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005 02:42:22 PM »

I am German, and I moved here a year ago, so I guess I can tell you what she is gonna miss in Germany:

PEANUTBUTTER!!!

And what I would do - get one of those disposable cameras, take pictures and send her the camera so she can develop the pictures herself. I always thought that's funny when my friends did that, cause you have no idea what you are getting Shocked

I heard that in euroupe there aren't any marshmallows....maybe send her a bag of mini marshmallows after she has been there a little while so it is fun for her to open up such a random gift. Also the camera idea is really good. and every once in a while if you dont have the time to send her a full letter, it is really fun ( i know from experience) to send her just a piece of paper that says "HUG!!!!" really big on it, she will get the message Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm in love with the world/ through the eyes of a girl/ who's still around/ the morning after"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress Like a Total Boss This Spring
How to Make Wide Leg Trousers Work
Date Night Outfit Advice
Outfit Advice for Lazy Days
Mini, Midi, Maxi: How to Wear Skirts in Winter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...