A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,136
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled plant pots, for my garden and for gifts :)  (Read 7192 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 02, 2011 06:52:29 AM »

I'm doing the whole Handmade Christmas this year. Of course I have a couple of those people on my list that have everything they need and don't collect anything. So what to make them? How about a little spot of colour to brighten their home for a few months?

Something inexpensive, from the heart and appropriate to my loved ones. Seriously, if you grow these suckers from seed you'll spend about $2.00 for as many gifts as you like. Also, they don't collect dust, need batteries, make noise or need maintenance (apart from a little water now and then Grin)

Mine are filled with delicious strawberries Smiley I can move the pots to the best position, they drain well and the fruits will tumble down the side without rotting

Materials:

* Clean, empty tins or plastic drink bottles (mine are baby formula containers and 3L juice bottles)
    * Garden wire
    * Spray primer
    * Paint (I used sample pots of wall paint)
    * Paintbrush
    * Drill
    * Craft knife
    * Sandpaper
    * Potting mix/garden soil/compost
    * Seedlings

1. Turn your containers upside down and drill some drainage holes in the bottoms
   2. Bottle planters - cut out a hole for the plant to go into (towards the top of the bottle), it needs to be just big enough to
       squish in the root ball of the plant. If needed, sand the holes to remove sharp bits
   3. Can planters - drill two holes at the top of the can opposite each other to thread a hanging wire through. Sand the
       holes lightly to keep sharp bits at bay
   4. Roughly sand your containers to give the paint something to stick to. It's important to note that the shiny paint finish on
       formula containers will repel the paint if not sanded. It doesn't have to be perfect, just rough up the paint or plastic a bit
   5. Prime your containers with the spray primer. Allow to dry (it won't take long!)
   6. Paint your containers and decorate as you wish. You will need a couple of coats for good coverage. Allow to dry well
   7. Snip and attach a length of garden wire to use as a hanging loop. The length will depend on whether you wish to hang
       your pots from a fence, tree branch or ceiling hook)
   8. Bottle planters - lay your bottle down and fill with soil through the cutout. Scoop out just enough soil to fit the root ball
      of your seedling and carefully but firmly pack the plant in. You can keep the bottle laying down for a couple of weeks
      until the plant is established but I carefully propped mine up immediately
   9. Can planters - fill with soil, leaving enough space to put your plant. Carefully pack in the roots of the plant and top up
      with a little more soil
  10. Give them a drink and put them in a suitable spot to get established until it's time to give them away!

Notes:

* Raise your own seedlings from seed and this project may well only cost you a couple of dollars
    * To give as gifts, choose a pretty annual flower. That way, at the end of the growing season your recipient can either
      re-plant or recycle their pot. No waste and no clutter! Perfect for the person who has everything
    * If you want a no-hassle gift plant your pots with succulents
    * For a kitchen goddess (or god ;P) plant your pots with herbs
    * For kids, plant a yummy treat like strawberries. My strawberries adore these pots since they like good drainage and if
      you add a hanging wire the strawberries will tumble down without rotting!

I have heaps more pics and progress shots on my blog, there's far too many to copy over here!

Thanks for looking and I hope you can brighten your own home with some little recycled lovelies Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
susanab
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011 07:04:46 AM »

well, what is not to LOVE about this!?
sweet, lovely, living and yums when it is time to harvest Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.com
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011 07:09:14 AM »

Thanks! I have had trouble growing strawberries before but they just love these pots. I also have some zinnias and cosmos seedlings growing well and awaiting potting, they'll be gifts for my Nan, MIL and Mum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011 11:08:49 AM »

what a cute, awesome gift!!! My sister lives in a townhouse with a fence in the backyard, these would be perfect for her!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
SEDD
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012 08:22:02 AM »

This is great! I'm going to dig through the recycling that we have neglected to take out and do this right now! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yael360
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012 02:28:59 AM »

ooooo! Thanks for sharing! now, if i only had a garden...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strawberry Paisly  @  wordpress / tumblr / etsy / deviant art
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012 02:40:17 AM »

That's the good thing yael360, you can hang these beauties on a railing, from the eaves or outside your window sills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Lightened-Up Seven Layer Bars
Coolhaus Ice Cream’s Dirty Mint Chip Ice Cream Recipe
How to Make French Rose-Raspberry Macarons
Easy One-Pot Lemon Curd Recipe
Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Croissant Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...