A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need advice on tailoring legs on jeans  (Read 1012 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abelletobehold
mama of three little fairies

Smile God Loves You

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2011 10:44:24 PM »

Ok so heres my prob. I buy jeans to fit my waist comfortably unfortunetly I need a 22/24 waist and a 18/20 leg all my pants are super baggy in the thighs even skinny jeans  Shocked They fit well for 5 minutes after they get out of the dryer, and of course they fit perfect in the freaking dressing room. Then its all down hill it is so bad I have almost had them completely fall off soooo not cool lol. I don't go cheap when it comes to jeans I buy hydraulic brand and at $50-60 a pair I can't just pitch them, not that it would help as I always have this problem. I have 3 darling daughters so I'm on a paper thin budget and can't afford my area's pricey seamstresses/tailor $40 a pair !!!!!!!! to take in thighs seriously uh I don't think so I'm super desperate, I am ready to just do it and hope for the best but I figured I'd ask the gurus on here first Please help lol Thanks in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Czanna
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011 12:07:52 PM »

Okay... This isn't too hard. For the first pair, use a pair you're willing to sacrifice or turn into a skirt because you may make mistakes, but this is the process.

You'll need a helper, safety pins and chalk to mark them up, then pins, scissors, et cetera. Turn the jeans inside out and put them on, zipped up and buttoned. You're going to alter the inseam, so have your helper pinch the excess fabric on your inner thigh until it feels comfortable. Once it feels comfortable, mark it and safety pin it in position. Work down both legs. Take the safety pins out, take the jeans off and still inside out, connect the chalk marks in a smooth line.

Before anything gets cut, sew with fairly large machine stitches on those chalk lines, angling out to the existing seam at the top. Turn the jeans right side out , put 'em on and walk around, sit down. Too loose? Sew another seam 1/4 inch inside the first. Too tight? Pick out the first seam and sew another 1/4 inch outside the first. Once they're comfortable, cut off the excess and rebuild the seam with at least two rows of tighter stitches.

Dn't toss that excess fabric -- that's now your pattern for altering the rest.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jan74
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011 05:00:14 AM »

When I tighten jeans, I work on the outside seam, and I bring the seam more to the front.

The reasoning for working "crooked" like that is that it is slimming. Example of how the seam is on cheap jeans:

http://www.fashiontrendlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/New-Levis-Jeans.jpg

Notice the seam is exactly on the side of the leg.

Now check out Gang jeans, a brand famous for fitting curves (Britney wears them in her "I'm a Slave 4 U" video):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-h2eNJI9mpDk/Tkg4YTDdYJI/AAAAAAAAAl0/RqisZa-6qRA/s1600/108_9945.JPG

Notice how the side seam is totally at the front, making a slimmer line on the side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 12/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 8/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 5/5
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...