A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Why party hats?  Today, we officially welcome our newest Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss to the team!  If you see them on the boards, congratulate them!
Total Members: 305,632
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adventures in Bookbinding - Super cool reclaimed leather sketchbook for meeee!  (Read 1452 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 30, 2011 07:45:06 AM »

OOOOOOOOkkk.. so I wrote out this huge post about my project and then craftster went and died on me when I clicked on 'post'..! So here it is again!

I literally finished this book this morning, bookbinding is definitely my new obsession!
It's made using reclaimed leather (i have about 3 bin bags FULL) and has 200 blank pages for me to scrawl all over! This was only my second attempt at a book like this, I've also made a bunch of those seriously cute mini book pendants which go down a storm! (I've posted a couple of pictures of my first attempt at the bottom of the post!) I'd LOVE to know what you think!

For anyone wanting to give it a go, this thread should help you out and I've added a few sites that helped me which you can find on page 4: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=174813.0

FYI, here's a photo of my first attempt. I tried this one without researching so it definitely could've been better! The thread I used was old crochet thread which snaps really easily (but I've used a nice strong linen for the newest one). The binding is also too loose on my first attempt but it really helped me figure things out! I love the pages too. coooooooool!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
annamaize
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011 07:51:58 AM »

This is beautiful! It looks perfect for thoughtful jaunts through the woods. Where did you find your leather?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011 08:17:04 AM »

This is beautiful! It looks perfect for thoughtful jaunts through the woods. Where did you find your leather?

Thank you ♥ I can't wait to use it but I'm so scared of messing up the pages with my awful handwriting..!

The leather has actually come from one of two sofas that were waiting to go to the tip.. My partner and I spent about half a day stripping the damn things to rescue what we could (which was pretty much all of it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
EmmaJean
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011 09:55:28 AM »

simple, but beautiful. great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011 03:47:45 PM »

That looks so cool!  Fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Discover Artisan Kettle-Cooked Popcorn
Lemon Blueberry Pancake Recipe
How to Make Sassy Tailgate Sandwiches
Brown Butter Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
Easy Homemade Chicken, Sausage and Seafood Gumbo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...