A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dala Horse Stuffy.  (Read 774 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2011 09:30:02 PM »

I'm on an even-tighter-than-usual budget for Christmas, and so I'm trying to supplement my gift purchases with handmade goodies too. My mother in law is half Swedish, and so the house is full of dala horses, tomtes and Scandinavian fabrics. I'd been making Mystery Critters (http://lesliesartandsew.blogspot.com/2011/09/mystery-critters.html) and was really enjoying making plushies, so I decided to try one of my own design. Using a sweater I had from Halloween last year when my (then 3-year-old) son and I were going to go as Thing 1 and Thing 2, remnants from a plain white T which had given it's life to another project and some of the HUGE-NORMOUS! bag of polyfil I bought for my Mystery Critter project, I turned this...

into this...

I'm really proud with how it turned out. Technically, it's probably really really bad, but I achieved what I set out to do. The detailing is machine appliqued (in the loosest sense of the word) and then top stitched using (read: playing with) the fancy stitches on my M-i-L's fancy-schmancy Pfaff and different coloured thread. The poor pony is not at all symmetric, and were I to make another I'd be a little more concerned with placing the details a little more carefully so they weren't so smushed once pony's two halves were stitched together and turned right side out. I'd also change the shape of his bum because there's something funky going on there. I may even let him have four legs should I ever make another...
When I'm feeling a little more attached to reality I will get around to updating my blog and adding more detail about the birth of my wonky little dala pony, but for now, c+c would be gratefully received!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011 12:12:31 AM »

I think it's great. I love the simplicity of the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
imrahil
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011 12:18:03 AM »

I think it's pretty, and you got the shape of the head and neck just right! It looks cuddly, and I love the detail!
How large is the horse?

I live in Sweden near the little factory where they make the original ones Smiley I've been on a school field trip to the place. Did you know the carving is done by people in their homes, and then they hand the horses in to the factory for painting. People who work with carving the horses get a bag of sawed out horse shapes to carve from, and I think they get paid per horse. The red colour is made by dipping the horses in colour. The ladies doing the decor painting are awesome! They put two colours at once in their paintbrush to achieve the curly shapes, and they can paint super fast!
You can buy uncarved horses, carved but unpainted ones and the finished painted ones in different sizes.
I've never tried carving one myself but I bought a wonderful carving knife there for my wooden spoon carving.

I love hearing about peeople in the US who are Swedish related. I have some distant relatives living in Minnesota because my grandmother's uncles emigrated back in the 1800's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011 05:56:29 AM »

Thanks!
I haven't measured him, but he's roughly 9 inches tall and about 12 inches nose to non-existent tail.
I have to say I'm really happy with the shape of his head and neck. It's his wonky wobbly bum that is troubling me. I have a proper carved 4 inch dala horse that my MiL gave me for Christmas last year that stood by the sewing machine whilst  I was working so that helped me get the decoration 'right'. I want a bigger dala, but theyre crazy expensive.
We often go to the Gift Chalet in Auburn, MA which is commonly referred to as the Swedish gift shop. They have all kinds of Scandinavian gifts and trinkets and CHEESE! (Oh my word, the cheeses are so good!) They also have a 3 foot tall Dala horse in the entrance, and I want that SO MUCH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011 07:54:27 AM »

You did a great job on your dala horse & design very good.  Roll Eyes  I can't see the back of his bum in the pic. so it's hard to see the wonky woobbly that you're talking about. So as long as it looks like a horse & with pretty details. I think you design a great horse & you can tweek it if you want to if you do another one!!!!!..... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.craftysisters-sharalee.blogspot.com

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/also Teesha Moore Patches/Felt Badges! PM me!
JerseyGal
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011 11:52:26 AM »

OMG this is fun!  Smiley I have swedish roots and I collect Dala horses and have been to the factory in Sweden, and it's just as the person from Sweden said.  Our bus driver was a "carver" and he'd carve while we visied the sites, dropping off his box whenever the tour stopped at the factory.
Making a dala horse is such a cute idea.  Now for one with four legs...go for it!  ♥♥
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011 11:54:51 AM by JerseyGal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011 08:39:03 AM »

Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Young Manga Artist Lilly Cernak
Manga Artist Lilly Cernak at Work
Meet Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland
Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland at Work
Meet Ebru Artist Bingul Sevimli
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...