A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
798 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sock Knitting Pattern Book?  (Read 908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2005 08:04:04 AM »

Hey all,

Can you recommend a great book with sock patterns in it?  I've heard that the Socks Soar on Circular Needles book is pretty cool, but I haven't ventured into that just yet.  I am finishing my first sock (not first pair, first sock) and I am completely enamored.  I have a couple of patterns from Interweave Knits as well, but I'm looking for a great book.

Thank you,

Skylar
www.knitkatgirl.typ epad.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't beat 'em, knit for 'em.
mayerlove
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005 08:28:19 AM »

i got a book called The Twisted Siters Sock Workbook out from the library yesterday. it's pretty good. but most of it's about dying roving and a little about spinning. there's only a few sock patterns, but there is alot of information about knitting socks. i woud reccomend reading it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
mayerlove
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005 08:31:26 AM »

oh yeah, i forgot to say it has alot of different cast on methods, like a stretchy one for ribbing, bind-offs, afterthought heels, toe socks, and lobster-like socks (one big toe and the rest are the same like a mitten).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
mayerlove
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005 08:37:22 AM »

oh yeah, it has a few different ways of making the toe. i think i might need to actually buy this book. it makes me wasnt to knit socks for the rest of my life. Smiley haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005 08:46:33 AM »

Awesome, I might have to take a little peeky at this book.  I wonder if my library has it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't beat 'em, knit for 'em.
starlings
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005 10:08:34 AM »

I love "Cool Socks Warm Feet" by Lucy Neatby. Its subtitle refers to self-patterning yarns, but it really has very little to do with them. The patterns are written for variable gauges and many sizes and she emphasizes that the component parts - heels, toes, cuffs - are interchangable.

There's tons of advice on cast-ons, bind offs, grafting, sizing, and it's bound in a way that makes it easy to read while knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizuiro
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005 10:33:08 AM »

'Knit Socks!' by Betsy McCarthy is nice basic sock book.  'Folk Socks' by Nancy Bush as a good section on different heel and toe shaping as well, but I don't like the actual patterns in that one much.

And the book 'Socks Socks Socks' is just really good for more challenging patterns, with lots of colorwork and advanced techniques.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
ariane
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005 11:19:01 AM »

I just bought Socks Socks Socks by Elaine Rowley...It has 70 different patterns...from newborn to adult sizes...from lacey to basic pattern stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wicked_stitches.typepad.com/wicked_stitches/

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
greenveggie
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005 11:49:55 AM »

I like Folk Socks.  Its got enough to help you figure out how to do stuff on your own, or follow a pattern.  Not to mention a ton of different toes and heels.

It is not however very "cool".  Kinda old knitterish, but I love it as a good resource. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005 05:34:29 PM »

I second the Sock Sock sock book...I have made three pairs out of it and they are a lot of fun.  The patern instructions are a bit unclear for a new sock knitter.

I also second/third the Folk Socks book....great information and some inspiring background information on the history of sock knitting....

I am currently working some socks from Knitting on The Road by Nancy Bush which is a very nice sock book, clearly written.

My current favourite sock patterns is Broadripple from Knitty.com....=)

ruthee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Si-Cology 1 by Duck Dynasty’s Uncle Si
Fury Series by Elizabeth Miles Book Trailer
Fury Book Series by Elizabeth Miles
The Smartest Kids in the World and How They Got That Way
Running Like A Girl by Alexandra Heminsley
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...