A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Re-vamped Lampshades: Burlap, Felt and a Little Lace to Make them Feel Like a  (Read 2534 times)
Tags for this thread: lampshade  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mcmakeit
« on: November 29, 2011 07:44:58 PM »

In a continued effort to make my bedroom not look like the last 20 years of random accumulation threw up all over it, I reconstructed my bedside lampshades.  My hope was that they'd match the I-got-all-this-crap-for-almost-free-and-I'm-pretending-it-looks-rustic-and-farmy look that I seem to be going for these days.

First, I grabbed some extra burlap I had sitting in a basket in the corner (yes, that really is where it was) and traced my lampshade on them.  I cut it out, leaving about an inch extra on each side of the "pattern" and hot glued that sucker over the existing shade.  I pulled the extra inch on top over the frame and glued it down on the inside, same on the bottom.  BURLAP LAMP SHADES BAM!

But that didn't quite meet my need for pretty things, so I whipped out some felt and lace and decided to make some little flower things.  This is how you make little flower things:

So after spending 15 minutes burning the heck out of my fingers, as is normal whenever I touch a hot glue gun, I had a bunch of little flowers.  I weilded the treacherous hot glue gun again and glued them to the lamps, stuffed some lace-y crap in it to make them feel like a lady, and BAM!  New lamps!

I'm pretty psyched.  Not quite finished with them yet, as I'm trying to decide what color to make the bases, but I was too pumped not to go ahead and post them.  I'm going to start gluing these little flowers to everything.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerfectlyBohemian
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011 08:23:05 PM »

I think those look awesome. I really love your use of recycled items! I saw your post earlier about the pallet headboard and I think that looks great. I have been looking for things to use my burlap coffee bags on... this is definitely inspiring Smiley I also recently saw where someone used burlap to wrap their box spring to eliminate the need for bed skirts. They added nice bronze finished brads/tacks to attach the ends where the burlap met. You have some very inspiring things going on. Keep it up Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011 08:42:18 PM »

Your lamps turned out super cute (and ladylike  Wink)!  I really like the contrast of the existing color on the lamp bases.  Maybe do the color of one of the darker flowers?  Or do you have to paint them at all?  Maybe just sand them down in a few spots to add interest? I dunno.... they aren't MY lamps...  Grin  Looks like you're having a great time in your bedroom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neckville
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011 03:46:32 AM »

What a phenomenal idea...I love the flowers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011 02:40:09 PM »

I like it - and I like your style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012 06:22:36 PM »

i love the lamps, and...

I weilded the treacherous hot glue gun again and glued them to the lamps,

i snorted when i read that, lol.  Smiley the glue gun is treacherous.
     I'm pretty psyched.  Not quite finished with them yet, as I'm trying to decide what color to make the bases, but I was too pumped not to go ahead and post them.  I'm going to start gluing these little flowers to everything.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Attention Deficit Crafter.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 4/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 8/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 2/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 3/12
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...