A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Archaeopteryx Faux-ssil (Fossil)! (Image Heavy)  (Read 3487 times)
Tags for this thread: fossil , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ajmaley
Harper and Herper

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2011 07:14:24 PM »

Soooo . . . . what do you do when the perfect Christmas gift for someone is a one of a kind fossil discovered in Germany in the 1800s? Allow me to spell out the options: 1) Buy it -- not likely, it's not for sale and it would be a bit out of my price range; 2) Steal it -- difficult, museum's have nice security systems and the consequences of jail time might put a damper on the holiday cheer; 3) Buy a replica -- best idea so far, but even the replicas are over 100 dollars and I don't have that kind of cash; 4) Make a replica -- oooh, now there's an intriguing thought . . .

In any case, by virtue of this post being on craftster, you can guess that I decided to make my very own "faux-ssil" . . . and here's the result:

What would a museum artifact be without a certificate of authenticity:

And now various closeups:
The Head:

Angled view that shows the actual colors better:

Closeup of the body:

Closeup of the wings:

Closeup of a claw:

Basic details of how I made it:
I had my husband cut me a piece of wood to act as a foundation and I used original sculpey and rolled it out on top of the wood in a thin layer. Note: I wish I had "upgraded" to one of the higher end sculpey's . . . I had a lot of issues with this one cracking . . . oh well, live and learn. I found a photo of the fossil on wikipedia, had Staples print it off and blow it up close to actual size. Then I placed the photo on top of the wood and traced the major lines of the fossil so that it imprinted into the layer of sculpey below. Some smushing, some scraping, and voila, most of the fossil is done. I took some feathers from my chickens (not plucked, I just picked some up that they left behind in the chicken yard) and used them to make imprints in the wings and tail (just like in the "real" fossil). To simulate stone texture, I used sand paper to imprint a rough texture onto the stone portions of the clay, note: I didn't "sand" it, I just used the sand paper like a stamp -- you could easily use an actual stone to do this, but I had sand paper and suitable stones were hiding from me in the great outdoors somewhere.

My husband added some wall hanging hardware and I cured it in the oven following the sculpey manufacturer's directions, painted it with acrylic paints, and sealed it with multiple (4+) layers of Miniwax Polycrylic High Gloss . . . a satin finish would have looked more realistic (i.e. more like stone), but I already had the high gloss and well . . . you know how it goes . . .

Like I said, I had some issues with cracking (before the majority of the sealing), so I added cyanoacrylate based super glue to the cracks, painted over them, and sealed.

Anyways, let me know what you think (my second sculpey project, so I'm really REALLY interested in tips/criticism), I can't wait to give it away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xtal
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011 07:30:32 PM »

It looks so real - I have never seen anything like it.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011 08:14:55 PM »

Um, WOW? That is downright INCREDIBLE! You have massive talent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerfectlyBohemian
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011 08:19:41 PM »

That is incredibly detailed and awesome. I don't think the high gloss looks bad, and can't think of a single thing to critique. You did some beautiful work there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011 09:01:04 PM »

THIS. IS. AWESOME!!!  If someone made this for me, I think I would pass out from sheer delight! "This Rocks!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011 10:01:11 PM »

Grin

love it! tips...you may find should you do a series of these that applying a thicker layer to the wood may help reduce cracking and as you've mentioned a satin varnish would add to the realism. i cant give you any criticism though. this is a beautiful piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eapa
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011 07:39:50 AM »

This is fantastic!  You did a great job, and it's given me some ideas of things to play with once the current spate of Giftmas Knitting is over. Smiley  Thank you so much for sharing!  I heart dinosaurs and other ancient reptiles/birds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snake boobs get in the way of slithering.

I blog about my life adventures, and sometimes even the things I make: http://snakeboobs.blogspot.com/
froggirl02

I love frogs and crafting in no particular order.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011 01:00:20 PM »

This is absolutely incredible, AJMaley!!  Cheesy I am super impressed. Elves should give you a strategic supply of sculpey so you can craft more faux-ssils for the world to enjoy. Maybe you could even make a faux-ssil gallery.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want to leave the world littered with beauty." ~Steve Martin, Picasso at the Lapin Agile

My blog! http://technicolorlilypond.wordpress.com/
My Zazzle! http://www.zazzle.com/technicolorlilypond
My CafePress Shop! http://www.cafepress.com/greenfrogfromthepond
Coma
Magic Finding-Lady

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011 03:15:13 PM »

That's amazing. You make it sound so easy but I know I couldn't make anything half so realistic lol. Props! (In the hip-hop sense, not the theatrical sense.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aethelberga
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011 05:54:02 PM »

This is fantastic. I love faux fossils & archaeological finds. You did a really beautiful job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Have We Been Washing Our Faces Wrong?
The Best Products for Contouring and Highlighting
How to Recycle Your Electric Toothbrush as a Facial Exfoliator
Cucumber Green Tea Puffy Eye Pads
How to Make a Red Wine Facial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...