A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Greeting Card Street Scene Wooden Purse  (Read 5194 times)
Tags for this thread: wooden_purse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2004 06:21:31 PM »

This is a purse made from a wood box I found at JoAnne Fabrics.  First step was the sanding and painting of the white base coat.  Next I added the pink striped awning  to the top with craft paint.  The bottom and   a bit of the bottom edge is also painted with craft paint but in green. The handle is beads on a 16 gauge wire and is strung through two holes in the top.  The ends are twisted together inside.  I have a great love for Anne Keenan Higgins' greeting cards and buy them everytime I see one. So, that became the outside of the purse.  I traced the outline onto white paper and ran a laser copy off to fit.  Next I used the Creative Versa-Tool with a transfer point to tranfer the images onto my purse.  (The copy must be laser for the transfer point to work.  Test your paint first too.)  I colored in the image using craft paint and flow medium (also in the craft paint section) in a ratio of about 90% flow medium to 10% paint. 

I cut out some foam core to fit the inside top and added a slit for the wire to fit into.  I then covered the foam core with fabric, which I had sewn a clear pocket onto to hold charge slips and put a bit of cotton batting in the slit so the wires would be a problem.  I then hot glued the fabric to the back of the foam core and the fabric covered foam core to the inside top.  I hot glued a piece of fabric covered heavy cardstock/light cardboard to the inside bottom.  The pockets around the inside are just a home made purseket but the sides are uneven because that is the way I like it. Smiley  If you don't know what a purseket is, google it.  (I can post directions to that if requested.  It is supper easy.)  I've used this purse for 2 weeks and love it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005 11:58:01 AM by NynaeveAS » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004 07:23:49 PM »

Grin  That is so cute!   Your work is very good! The art work just makes me smile   =)

julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sfsf
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004 11:56:22 PM »

love it... you did a great job!

Please post directions for the purseket. I've been wanting to make one, but I am too dependent on patterns  Sad

thanks  Wink
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004 08:55:10 AM by sfsf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004 08:06:52 AM »

I'll take some photos and post the directions ASAP. Smiley

Done!
See "Purse Pockets Insert similar to a Purseket" for directions.  (Same section as this post)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004 08:58:25 AM by NynaeveAS » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sfsf
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004 08:55:58 AM »

Thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyferret
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004 08:56:43 AM »

this is lovely!!! Your work is awesome!
I want one now! Bad thing is I could never paint like that. Oh well...
 Thanks for sharing with us.

Grin
Katy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

breeknee
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004 05:28:29 PM »

it's so funny I was JUST thinking about this project. I was in Joanns with a friend and we saw this project on the cover of the Joanns magazine and i was automatically like, yep, someone is gonna make that on craftster really soon, and voila! *lol* craftster kids, we are so predictable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004 06:58:32 PM »

Actually, I saw the idea at a little shop in downtown Indy last Fall.  It was cute but no pockets!  When I saw the same shaped box in the craft store, I had to try it.  The ones I saw had more things glues onto them like strings of beads, glitter, faux jewels and such but I am pretty sure my pets would see that as a challenge to remove what I glued one. Smiley   Anyway, the one I liked there was a gold base coat with a wizard images decopaged on it.  Then on top was the sparkles.  The handle was the same as mine in premise.  The inside was covered in velvet fabric.  I didn't want to do the same as they did (iow: copy) so I went a different route.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucy_uk
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004 01:11:17 AM »

Just wanted to say your purse rules!

It looks so cute and chic and your artwork is great! Very jealous  Wink I think I might have a go once I get through my ever growing 'crafts to try' list.

Well Done!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coming soon.... Gorgeous modern handmade greeting cards & other goodies...
http://www.dottyrocks.com
BearyPerky

Just call me Rizzo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004 01:02:53 PM »

That purse is amazing!  It reminds me of the wooden purses my grandmother used to make when she was our age!!  Hers are still around, but she won't let me have them!!  If you haven't already polyurethaned it, I think it would be a good idea to ensure a long life!!

I love the purseket idea too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She looks too pure to be pink!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 4/8
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 1/8
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 2/8
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 2/5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...