A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chicken Pot Pie  (Read 2005 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , pie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2011 07:47:02 PM »

I have been craving pot pie like nothing else lately.  My stepmom always made it with leftover turkey after Thanksgiving, and I haven't had a good one in ages.  So, lacking my stepmom's cookbook, I went to allrecipes.com.  Here's the original recipe I used: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-potpie/detail.aspx

And here's how I actually made it, which was a tiny bit different.

Ingredients:

two medium potatoes, peeled and diced
a handful of the thin carrot straws that you can get in the produce department, minced
2/3 cup frozen chopped onion
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all purpose flour
~ 2 teaspoons salt
~ 1 teaspoon pepper
a heaping teaspoon of minced garlic
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
about a pound of chicken tenders, seasoned and baked, then cooled and shredded
about 1 cup of frozen peas
about 1 cup of frozen corn
2 Pillsbury pie crusts, from the refrigerated section (two packages, or four total, this makes two pies)

First, last night, I seasoned and cooked my chicken.  I used garlic salt, pepper, a dash of olive oil, and about 1/4 cup of cider vinegar.  I almost always cook my chicken like this, it makes it very flavorful and moist.  I refrigerated it overnight, mostly due to time constraints.  Tonight I shredded it.  I cleaned, peeled, and diced two potatoes.  I could have used a third, but it ended up being very veggie heavy, so two was probably the right choice.  I used the pre-cut thin carrot sticks that you can buy to put on salads and minced them, because big chunks of carrot are not my thing.  I use this minced stuff for absolutely everything.  I get all the carrot flavor and none of the mushy texture.  I put the potatoes and carrots in a big pot (the one in the picture) to boil for about 10 minutes.  I couldn't get my stove to simmer, I just boiled, it worked fine.  While that was going on, I used my skillet to melt the butter and added the onions and garlic.  Frozen onions don't really "saute" per se, but I let the mixture simmer and reduce (the butter simmered just fine) for a few minutes while I putzed around the kitchen, draining the potatoes and carrots.  After about five minutes, I added the flour, salt, and pepper, and mixed it in thoroughly.  Very slowly, to maintain the thick consistency, I added the broth, stirring after each cup, and then the milk.  At this point, there was no way everything was going to fit into this skillet, and it was the largest one I had.  So I transferred my thickened mixture to the pot I'd done the potatoes in.  Perfect size!  I suppose I cooked the stuff for two minutes, boiling.  It definitely boiled, but it really started out thick, and I never let it lose that, so I wasn't overly concerned about the time.  (I'm a very precise cook, can't you tell?)  In the new pot, I added the frozen veggies.  I didn't measure, I just used about a handful and a half of each.  Then I added the potatoes and carrots, which had been sitting in the colander in my sink, and finally the chicken.  I ended up with the thick paste that you see above.  I divided it between two pie crusts.  I used deep dish pans because I like a thin pot pie, but you can use a regular size one, or even a casserole dish.  I baked one pie at 425 degrees for about 35 minutes, and refrigerated the other.  In the end, perfect gooey pot pie!

And it's festive.  I put some foil around the edges during baking, and am I glad I did!  They still browned nicely, and I left the foil on the whole time.  My only wish, after trying a piece, is that I'd used a little more salt and pepper and garlic.  Actually, garlic salt would have been a nice addition, too.  Don't tell her, but I actually like this version better than the one my stepmom made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Brackish Potato
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011 08:13:23 PM »

Mmm...that sounds wonderful! I hated pot pie growing up because the only kind I'd ever had were the little frozen ones. This is something completely different!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists.

"Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011 08:24:12 PM »

That sounds yummy! When you cook your chicken with the vinegar is that baking it or in a pan on the stove?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011 05:36:00 AM »

Baking!  The vinegar keeps it moist.  I've also used butter instead of olive oil, but the olive oil is easier.  I cover it with foil the entire time, too, to keep the moisture in.  It actually ends up steaming it, because of all the liquid.  For a pot pie, though, any leftover bird meat works.  I just didn't have a whole lot of leftovers from Thursday that survived until yesterday.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011 05:37:09 AM by Aislynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011 06:49:34 AM »

Ais, these look delicious!! I wish I had it in front of me right now - I'd gobble it up for breakfast Smiley. I love you how you made the little tree in the crust too. Yummmmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
howtocooklamb
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011 04:09:53 PM »

This ones look delish I don't mind the goey part on the image above it all go away once baked because the pie crust would absorbs it. And what a yummy breakfast indeed on a snowy morning steaming hot. heaven!actually this is much easier than mine and curious on the vinegar will try it next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeachieClean
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012 06:49:51 PM »

I use the same recipe to make pot pie all the time!  I just usually skip potatoes and use frozen mixed veggies and frozen peas and carrots.  I've made it in casserole dishes (Decent, and easiest if you're cooking for a crowd), pie pans (best), large cup-cake pans (Good for freezing), and these little turn-over maker things (awesome for freezing and a quick lunch later) and I've never had it turn out bad.  Your little tree makes me wonder if I could take tiiiny cookie cutters (The kind that people use in bento-style lunches) to the top crust for venting.  In all, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012 07:24:51 PM »

Ooh, cupcake tins are a terrific idea!  You should try it with the potatoes, if you haven't...they really make a difference, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012 12:58:15 PM »

Ais, that pot pie looks delish!  I think I might have to whip one up this weekend! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012 02:33:53 PM »

Just be warned, the recipe makes a LOT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basics of Calligraphy
Salilah Moore on Sacred Geometry
Joe Brenman on Creating Murals
Ed Bronstein on Becoming a Painter
Paintings by Ed Bronstein
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...