So my car is showing its age (prematurely) and my ceiling fabric is falling down and my visor fabric was flaking off terribly (see pictures below)... I have been on and off wanting to tear off the fabric because every time I bumped it, flakes and bits went floating everywhere.
So here is the finished project:
And here are some pictures of the process. If anyone would like some help/tips on how I did it to give their own car a treatment, please feel free to ask
Original (after I tore it off the visor... it still had a hard cardboard piece that I saved for the new one). It was pretty rough. Parts of the fabric were actually hanging down for the last couple weeks. Luckily I am short enough that it was not in my vision.
The visor was sewn onto a particle board frame, so to cut it off, I just slid my scissors between the layers of cardboard to cut the thread and leave everything else intact. Here is the inside after cutting it off:
I tore of the old fabric and traced the cardboard to make a pattern and added a 3/8 in seam allowance (I thought I added enough length for a flap, but somehow screwed that one up).
I used spray on adhesive to refasten the cardboard to the particle board frame without fabric so that it will be easy to replace the new cover if I need to.
Here is the slipcover before I put it on:
And some pictures of it in the car: