A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I would like some opinions on a design  (Read 1070 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Burgawinosourus
« on: November 28, 2011 12:47:47 AM »

I had this great idea for a dress with some sheets we can't use anymore but a practically brand new and some left over fabric. So I came up with a design in my head. Then I thought of a different way to make the dress as well and now I'm stuck. Basically it all depends on the top.

I doubt I'll have the dress that low cut on either side but it's just an idea. I wanted to make it something I could wear for this season, warm and cute.

Here's the fabric I'm going to use. The lighting sort of dulled the colors but the maroon fabric will be the top while the ivory plaid sheets will be the sleeves and bottom half of the dress.

Tell me which design you think is the better choice to make please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do what I like and I like what I do.
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011 02:13:43 AM »

If I were going to wear it, I'd choose the cleavage V, not the back V. Only because I get more chilly on my back and also I'd have to think more carefully about the bra I was wearing.

Standard disclaimer: my opinion only and worth what you paid for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
mathma
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011 02:33:43 AM »

i like best the one with the open back :)and the colours you have  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melby
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011 05:09:29 AM »

I think the open back might be nice, but really it depends on you and which style you would prefer to wear & make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011 12:21:36 PM »

I agree that the open back would be harder to wear with a large bust, because then you'd need a special low-back bra, or a high-quality stick-on bra. However, I think if you split up the open back with a bow (one of the big trends for the last year Cheesy), it would cover your bra and then no worries! You might need a friend to help you position the bow "just so" in order to get it in the right place.

I, too, love the fabrics you've picked out, and the dark on top with light on bottom will do a great job of balancing out a top-heavy figure! My personal preference would be to make the sleeves match the bodice fabric, with the sleeve cuffs matching the skirt.

Regardless of which path you choose, you have the makings of a really great dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011 05:31:01 PM »

I prefer the open back version. It's a much classier kind of sexy, whereas the deep V in front is just a little too overt and obvious. Also, if it's chilly you have the option of making a real feature of a cute cami peeking out in back. I wish you luck finding a suitable bra for keeping the girls in check should you go down the backless route!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noelle
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011 08:11:13 PM »

i would suggest the 1st version (low back) with a modest v in the front to match. especially if you are as busty as you've drawn (as I am), crew- and boat-necks can have a widening or mono-boob effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Burgawinosourus
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011 09:44:06 PM »

Thanks so much for all the input so far. I've also asked for opinions on Facebook and I've added up the votes from there as well from here.

So far the tally is;
Dress one- 9
Dress two- 7
Undecided- 3

So I think to wait and see what the decided have to say and to see if anyone else voices their decision. But again but thank you for your suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do what I like and I like what I do.
darth_unicorn

I find your lack of faith disturbing- Darth Vader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011 10:10:30 AM »

I think the first outfit with the low back would be perfect for the winter season. When you walk in somewhere and have your coat open it will look like a normal dress and then you take the coat off and bam, open back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find your lack of faith disturbing. -Darth Vader
krissgale
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012 11:35:17 PM »

Nice fabric colors! here i too would like to advice you to design a dress having open back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I most prefer to visit for India Ethnic wear dressing style at http://indiaemporium.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper
Valerie Harper Talks About Her Audiobook I, Rhoda
Manology Cover Shoot With Tyrese and Rev Run
Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
Crafting Contagious Content Using Triggers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...