A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crocheted bikini  (Read 5291 times)
Tags for this thread: crochet , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wildcheddar

sugar magnolia, sunshine daydream

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2004 05:51:04 PM »

heeey!
[
i was feeling low so i decided to get craftin' and i used some yarn i had laying around to practice making a bikini. i had toyed with the idea before but i didnt think i could do it.

well, even in the old scrappy hairy yarn, it looks good! or i think so. there are rough edges that i need to smooth out because i eyed it and i had no idea what i was doing.

but anyway... where can i get the kind of string i would need to really do this with? the kinda coated, cottony kind.... also, has anyone else ever done this before? any ideas for bottoms?

i want to post a pic... but HOW?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
starmeg
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004 08:37:49 PM »

I would think the 'peaches and cream'-type cotton yarn (from Micheals or WalMart) would be the thing for a crocheted bikini.  

go you, I see those bikini's all the time in pattern books but I don't think they are quite for me.  when you work out how to post a picture then let's have it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrr betsy
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004 09:08:42 PM »

heeey!
[
i was feeling low so i decided to get craftin' and i used some yarn i had laying around to practice making a bikini. i had toyed with the idea before but i didnt think i could do it.

well, even in the old scrappy hairy yarn, it looks good! or i think so. there are rough edges that i need to smooth out because i eyed it and i had no idea what i was doing.

but anyway... where can i get the kind of string i would need to really do this with? the kinda coated, cottony kind.... also, has anyone else ever done this before? any ideas for bottoms?

i want to post a pic... but HOW?

to post a picture you have to upload it to a different server such a photobucket.com take the address to that image and place the url in between
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
peanut
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004 05:31:00 AM »

I have a pattern for a crocheted bikini in one of my old pattern books.  Let me know if you would like it for some inspiration or ideas!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2004 05:32:07 AM by peanut » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Semper in faecibus sumum, sole profundum variat.
phlox1301
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004 09:40:12 PM »

can you please post the pattern for that bikini? i've been looking for something like that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BearyPerky

Just call me Rizzo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004 01:57:08 AM »

This may be a stupid question, but can you swim in that?? Wouldn't it stretch/shrink?  

No matter> I am publicswimaphobic.. .

Kudos to you for making your own suit.. I can't imagine it would be easy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

She looks too pure to be pink!
peanut
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004 07:06:46 AM »

Here is the pattern that goes with the above picture.  It comes from "Shanie Jacobs' Crochet Book" (1979).  I haven't made this pattern, I'm just sharing it for those of you who would like to try it.  Good luck!

Materials: 4 skeins (2oz each) of sport weight yarn, 2 skeins for colour A, 2 for colour B; size C hook; 3 yrds thin elastic
Gauge: 5sts-1"; 7 rows=2"

Note: Instructions are given for small size; Medium and large are in parentheses.  Much of the crochet calls for single-crocheting in a hdc, and half-double-crocheting in a sc.  When single-crocheting in a hdc of the pr r, insert hook into front and 1 top lp only.

Bottom
Make a sl kn on size C hook with colour A, leaving a 4" end.  Ch 104 (107, 110); turn.
Row 1 Sc in 2nd ch from hook, *hdc in next ch, sc in next ch.  Repeat from *across row.  Ch 1; turn.
Row 2 Sc in first hdc of pr r, hdc in first sc of pr r (this order may have to be reversed depending on the number of chs in cast row). * Sc in next hdc, hdc in next sc. Repeat from * across row.  Ch 1; turn.
Rows 3-10 Repeat 2nd row.  At end of the 10th row, change to colour B, leaving a 5" cut end of colour A.  The following chart summarizes the colour changes required during the remainder of the crochet for the bottom.  Refer to it while following the inc and dec instructions below.  Leave 5" ends for all colour changes.

Rows       Colour
1-10         A      
11-20       B
21-29       A
30-38       B
39-46       A
47-54       B
55-61       A
62-68       B
69-74       A
75-80       B
81-85       A
86-90       B
91-94       A
95-98       B
99-101     A
102-104    B
105, 106    A
107, 108    B
109          A
110          B

Rows 11-24 Repeat 2nd row, making proper colour changes according to chart.
Row 25 Dec 1 st at beg of row by skipping first st and working a sc (or hdc) in next stitch.  Continue reg pat across; dec 1 st at end of row by skipping next-to-last st of pr r and working a sc in last st if your st just made was a hdc; or a hdc if your last-made st was a sc, regardless of what the last st of pr r is.  Ch 1; turn.
Rows 26-60 Repeat 25th row, making 2 dec per row and the proper colour changes.
Rows 61-73 Work even, making the proper colour changes.
Row 74 Inc 1 st at beg of row by working a sc and then hdc in first st of pr r if it is a sc; or by working a hdc and then sc in this st if it is a hdc.  Work reg pat across, then inc similarly in the last st of this row.  Ch 1; turn.
Row 75-84 Repeat 74th row, making 2 inc per row, folowing the colour chart.
Row 85 Work even
Rows 86, 87 Inc 1 st at each end.  With colour B yarn still on hook, ch 22 (24, 25). Ch 1 more.
Row 88 Sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in 3rd, *sc in next ch, hdc in next.  Repeat from * across chs, making sure it doesn't twist, and continue pat across 87th row, then ch 22 (24, 25) as before, ch 1 more.  Sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in 3rd, repeat from * above across chs only.  Knot yarn and cut, leaving 5" end.
Row 89 Make a sl kn with colour B, leaving a 4" end.  Starting at right-handed end of 88th rown (with right side of work facing you) continue sc-hdc pat across entire row.  Ch 1; turn.
Rows 90-110 Work even, changing colors at proper rows.  At end of 110th row, knot yarn and cut, leaving a 5" end.
Hide all loose ends.  Using yarn of either colour and yarn needle, join front to back at side seams.  Thread the thin elastic through the yarn needle and weave through sts at bottoms of leg opening.  Knot elastic for a snug fit to legs and cut, leaving 5" ends for further hiding.  Repeat this procedure for elastic into waistline.

Bikini Top
First Cup Make a sl kn with colour A, leaving a4" end, ch 37 (39, 40) and place a small safety pin in last ch made.  Ch 90 (88, 88) more; turn.
Row 1 Sc in 2nd ch from hook, *sk next ch, ch 1, sc in next ch.  Repeat from * across row until you reach safety pinned ch.  Sc in this ch, hdc in next, sc in next, repeating the hdc-sc pat as for bottom across row.  Change to colour B in last st of first row.  Ch 1; turn.
Note: Colours A and B are alternated for every row of the top.
Row 2 Work hdc-sc pat up to safely pin, then sc in first ch-1 sp past safety pin.  *Ch 1, sk next sc, sc in next ch-1 sp.  Repeat from *across.  End by knotting yarn and cutting, leaving a 4" end.
Row 3 Make a sl kn with colour A yarn, leaving a 4" end.  With wrong side of work facing you, insert hook into hdc above safety pinned ch, yoh and ptl, insert hook into next sc [above 36th ch (38th, 39th)], yoh again, pull through 3 lps on hook (dec made).  Continue sc-hdc pat in remainder of row, changing to colour B in last st of row.  Ch 1; turn.
Rows 4-8 Work hdc-sc pat, dec 1 st at safety pinned end of work only, changing colour every row.
Row 9 Work even, change colour, ch 1, turn.
Row 10 Dec 1 st at safety pinned end as before, change colour, ch 1, turn.
Row 11 Repeat 9th row
Row 12 Repeat 10th row.
Row 13 Repeat 9th row.
Rows 14-26 Dec 1 st at each end, changing colour every row.  End 26th row by chaining 73.
Shoulder strap Pick up colour B for 74th ch; turn.  Work (sc, sk next ch, ch 1, sc in next sc) pat down ch.  Making sure not to twist strap, sl st to st of colour B in 26th row.  knot yarn and cut, leaving a 4" end.
Second CupMake a sl kn with colour A, leaving a 4" end.  Ch 90 (88, 88), placing a safety pin in last ch made.  Ch 37 (39, 40) more; turn.
Row 1 Work hdc-sc pat up to safety pin, then work (sc, sk next ch, ch 1, sc in next ch) pat past pin, which is the same procedure you followed for first row of First Cup, except in reverse.  Change to colour B in last st of row.  Ch 1; turn.
Row 2 Work (ch 1, sk next sc, sc in next ch-1 space) pat up to pin; then work hdc-dc pat beyond, reversing the procedure of 2nd row of First Cup.  know and cut yarn at end of row.
Rows 3-26 Reapeat as for First Cup, making first dec in 3rd row with right side of work facing you, and  the ensuing decs at at the safety pinned end as before.
Repeat shoulder strap instructions, above, for second cup.  Join cups together with yarn needle at first 2 rows only.  Then make a sl kn with colour B yarn, leaving a 4" end.  Sc in ch row at extreme righ-hand end of back strap of the first cup, with right side of work facing you.  Work (sk next ch, ch 1, sc in next ch) pat all across ch row, past join, and across other back strap.  Knot yarn and cut, leaving a 4" end.  Hide all loose ends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

homara
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004 07:36:44 AM »

i'd like to make one for myself...but the instruction is confusing, i guess its cause i dont crochet...how do i read the instruction? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanut
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004 07:57:44 AM »

i'd like to make one for myself...but the instruction is confusing, i guess its cause i dont crochet...how do i read the instruction? Huh

You'll first have to pick up some of the basic stitches and techniques that are used in crochet.  A website like StitchGuide is a good place to start.  StitchGuide has quicktime clips of stitches being done so you can see how your hand and the yarn should move.  There are also a number of easy to understand beginners books that you can pick up at a yarn or craft store.  In the pattern, all of the stitches are abbreviated, and the StitchGuide site has a list of abbreviations under "Tips and Hints".  

Another helpful site is
Bella Online's Crochet Site
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlyBetty
Non-stop crafty bandit

Get Ur Craft On

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004 07:30:29 AM »

There is a knit bikini pattern in the "stitch n Bitch" Book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Traditional Buttermilk Beignets
Caramel Filled Chocolate Easter Cupcake Recipe
Passover Macaroons Recipe
Creme Egg Brownie Recipe
Anzac Biscuit Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...