A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cake pop Question  (Read 2504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2011 10:48:08 AM »

Hello Craftster-ers, I want to make some cake pops for DD birthday, I have looked up how to make them and I think I have it sussed.  The question I have is about the candy coating.  I am in New Zealand, and am not familiar with this...is it melted chocolate, or is it some other thing?  It comes in so many colours, which is why I think it is something else.  If anyone would be able to clear this up for me, that would be great.
Smiley Carmen

img from http://feedmyfacewithcake.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011 10:56:26 AM by carmenmarie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pink*Marshmallow
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011 11:03:30 AM »

Hi!  I make them all the time! Smiley  They are coated in chocolate. Sometimes colored white chocolate (as pictured) or regular chocolate. 

Good luck!  Everyone loves cake pops Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tara

http://charleerosedesigns.etsy.com
Custom Wreath Creations
elmom
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011 11:03:52 AM »

yes, those candy melts are what you use to coat the cake..... they are "chocolate like" and used when teh coating/chocolate has to harden..they do make them in lots of cool colors, for holiday candy etc...my nieces just made cake pops and used regular chocolate chips and the coating was not hard enough, to keep the cake ball suspended.  the cake balls slid down the sticks! we ate them anyway, but they were balls on the bottom of a stick; not pops Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011 11:11:15 AM »

I have never seen the coloured chocolate here, I have seen colouring powder at the craft shop tho. 
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pink*Marshmallow
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011 11:46:43 AM »

Sometimes the white chocolate is just called confectionery coating or almond bark.  You can get candy-specific coloring at many craft stores (Wilton makes them, for example) and color your white chocolate.  Definitely do NOT use liquid or regular gel food coloring, as it will seize up the coating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tara

http://charleerosedesigns.etsy.com
Custom Wreath Creations
ivoryh1632
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011 09:47:27 PM »

The candy melts are chocolate or white chocolate with a high amount of parafin wax in them so that they harden quickly and smoothly. If you can't find candy melts then look for a chocolate with parafin wax in it (its used a lot in cheap/easy candy making supplies so that might be a starting point on where to look) or you might be able to buy food grade parafin to mix into the chocolate yourself, I'm sure you can find a tute/recipe online somewhere for how to do it and get the portions right.

I also seem to remember seeing somewhere a tute for cake pops where they used royal icing on the outside instead of chocolate. I haven't tried before so I don't know if it'll actually work though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011 02:08:23 AM »

you can also use solid vegetable fat instead of parrafin if you want a less laxative-y coating.
it must be a solid fat though, do you have Stork Baking Block? or Cookeen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011 11:15:12 AM »

If I still lived in Australia I would by Copha, it is solidified coconut oil.  I think there is something called Kremelta here.  I might try that.  Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, DD birthday is 3 weeks away, I will let you know how i get on.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011 05:51:49 PM »

I was walking through the baking aisle of the craft store yesterday and I saw a book of cake pop ideas, I didn't look through it reall well but from the pictures it looked like they were using fondant for the coating. I can't see why fondant wouldn't work and its real easy to make, just marshmellows and powdered sugar. That might be easier than mixing fat with chocolate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011 03:14:48 PM »

Thanks, i have pinned a marshmallow fondant recipe.  You've all been so helpful
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Palette Knife
What Is Acrylic Paint?
How to Prepare Your Canvas for Acrylic Painting
How to Choose Paintbrushes for Acrylic Painting
Supplies You Need to Get Started with Acrylic Paint
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...