A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
845 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I choose you, Bulbasaur!  (Read 25466 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan , pokemon , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

achgfd
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011 07:03:19 PM »

He is delicious! I love this so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyalien
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011 07:33:11 PM »

That is awesome, intimidating yet inspiring... I have no patience for repetition... but BOY would I love to do that with a mac icon or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoreLoser

You're awesome!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011 09:16:20 PM »

Amazing!  How do you figure out the pattern? I've been wanting to do something like this, but can't figure out how to make it into pixels and into a pattern!

Ruby Copperhead was right, I found the sprite online (via google). Although the one I used was a newer version and had many colors, I simply re-colored it in paint (zoomed in of course). Here is a great website for pokemon sprites.  http://gallery.gtsplus.net/Bulbasaur and also http://pldh.net/dex/sprites/pidgey

If you want to make your own pattern I suggest checking out: http://www.myphotostitch.com/ or simply google search your way to one.

I just started a Pidgey blanket for my boyfriend a little bit ago and it is SOOO much more complicated than Mario sprites.  It only gets worse when you look at evolved forms too!

My friend actually requested a pidgey blanket! Then she changed her mind...and then she forgot about it...lol. Pidgey could be really annoying depending on which sprite you chose. When I looked at them I preferred one with wings closed, but of course my friend demanded the one with the wings spread open...

As for the mario vs pokemon sprites, the sprites are so much bigger, that's the problem! Of course after doing this blanket I discovered the sprites from Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver. The ones of the pokemon following you are so much smaller! I'm strongly considering making some of them as many blankets or something because they are simpler and just adorable.

Hm, that's an interesting question. When it's not laid out flat, but draped over someone, is the pattern then more visible when it's filled out to be a rectangle? I can picture things like the leg folding away... but also, I wonder if the pattern will always be kind of scrunched up whether there's filler squares or not.
That's something the users of the afghans could probably answer. Is it practical in the non-rectangular shape, is it usable, is there a problem with dangling pokemon feet or stuff like that? Is it still recognizable when scrunched up?

It is definitely usable in a non-rectangular shape. I specifically chose this pokemon because he was square-ish and didn't have many dangling bits. The ones he does have, like his legs, are pretty short and don't get in the way too much. For other pokemon (like charmander's tail, or tentacool's tentacles) the dangly bits would be longer and probably too much of a hassle. Also, sadly, the design is really not recognizable when it's folded up or being used. To a skilled eye maybe it could be deciphered, but in reality I think it's pretty difficult to see what it is in all honesty.

I think the irregular shape could make parts curl under and get lost but maybe no more than if it were a square. I do like functionality very much, often equal to or even greater than form, but that's a personal thing. I'd want to put this on a bed or couch and use it as a blanket, you know? It's very good. So good in fact that I don't dare show it to my little man, he'd want pokemon and would in NO WAY understand it taking me as long as it would to complete, lol. I'd be crochetting non-stop for ages!

I was strongly considering square-ing him out, but I thought it would take away from his sprite-y glory-ness. The irregular shape does have it's problems, like folding it away can be annoying sometimes, but it's doesn't really take away from its main objective: keeping a person warm. The sheer size of the thing might be more bothersome than its dangling/curling legs (yes, they do sometimes flop/twist around).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JellyBean826
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011 09:49:28 PM »

Grin I love it!! It looks awesome!!  *high five*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mymymissmai
I like you temporarily ;)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011 08:58:23 AM »

This will make an awesome rug for my boys' room.  I have two little boys, I just might have enough patience to make one!

This is absolutely AWESOME!  You are so in my "People of Awesomeness" list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadfullydivine

Raising the next generation of evil warlords

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011 02:27:53 PM »

OMG.

Did you lose your mind? Because I would have. I would have broken down and cried. You are my new hero. You might be the most awesome person of all time.

I have to agree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will do personal swaps.. ^_^
Whedonverse Swap Round 8: Questionaire sent!

50 Crafts in 2012~ 9/50+
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=395702.msg4714204#msg4714204
cutemonster
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011 08:03:02 PM »

This is awesome Cheesy If only I could figure out how to crochet granny squares...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
keylau
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011 03:20:35 PM »

Wow! It is awesome! I always chose Bulbasaur  Grin

Congratulations! It is really amazing, I can't imagine myself with patience enough to do one myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011 05:17:59 AM »

I love bulbasaur!  This is definitely getting pinned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
katje

trancending the tempest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2011 12:42:42 PM »

Great job!! It's wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 100 Pokemon: The Top 10
Behind the Scenes with Cali Swag District
How to Succeed on Deal or No Deal
How to Succeed at Rock Paper Scissors
How to Succeed on Jeopardy
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...