A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Well....I've Jumped in with Both Feet!  (Read 925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

Champagne Dreams on a Beer Budget.

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2011 10:54:32 AM »

I have put an Ashford Kiwi in lay-away and will be getting her out before Christmas (my present to myself this year).

I'm the kinda person that cannot wait to learn the slow way; I always have to jump right in and get it going...fast....so after some careful research and reading this entire Fiber community over and over, I settled on the Kiwi.  I have been knitting and crocheting since grade school  ***uh-hum..that's some 35 years and I love fiber, have always wanted to learn to spin but ashamed to say that I was totally intimidated until reading this wonderful community of posts.

I order the unfinished....those of you who bought unfinished...how/what did you do to finish your wheels?

I'm so very happy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011 05:27:56 PM »

Gratz on the wheel!!!! I dove in, just the same as you, and I've got to say, diving into fluff is an amazing experience!  Wink Grin  I did not finish my wheel,  it was already finished.  But I've finished many a bobbin with just a maple varnish.   If I had imediate access to a wide range of varnish colors, I would have purple bobbins... So I say color!  Because you can get a whole range of colors of varnish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

Champagne Dreams on a Beer Budget.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011 03:28:48 AM »

It's nice to know I'm not the only impatient one among us; thanks for helping me feel better about the big ticket purchase, I was having some buyers' remorse last night but realized that I DO deserve it; especially after the year I've had (hint:  was married...now I'm not).  I'm learning alot on my whorl but I'm ready for more. 

I'm leaning heavily on the side of Tung oil but don't know enough about it yet.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011 01:31:19 PM »

I've heard good things about Tung oil, but I've also heard you have to rub it a LOT. With all the pieces you might want to settle on something a little less time consuming. Or at least do it before you assemble. My wheel is unfinished and I was so excited to put it together when I got it that I didn't finish it, though maybe I should have. Never will now that it's all together, though, too many joints!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012 11:49:43 AM »

Coming in late on this, but if your wheel is not assembled when you get it, please put any finish on it BEFORE assembling your wheel.

Yes, this means you will have to wait another day or two before spinning, but putting on the finish (and making sure it is bone dry) before assembling, is the way to do it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012 11:50:01 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
brookem
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012 04:44:16 PM »

just to echo everyone else- yes, your wheel will arrive flat-packed (not to worry, the assembly instructions are very good) and the wood will be unfinished, meaning that it will be unprotected.

A few things to consider when finishing your wheel:
- will the finish wear?
- will it pick up dirt? (like on the treadle, or anywhere you touch it a lot)
- is there any chance that the finish could transfer onto your hands or yarn?
- how quickly will the finish wear off?

Most people stain rather than paint (a stain won't chip, and your wood of your wheel is pretty gorgeous, why cover that up?). You could use beeswax polish (it will pick up dirt), wood oil, wood stain or polyurethane (nice glossy finish, but it stinks and you have to work quickly to get it on).

Tbh, I think you should devote a weekend to this.

Wood stain etc needs to be applied with haste. If you do not have enough time to finish the application, if you start it late at night or if your mind is elsewhere you risk mucking it up and then having to look at your mistakes every time you spin (DOOM, DOOM, DOOM... actually, its not that bad. you could always sand it back it things get truly dire).

I would also recommend that you get some wire (just straighten out some wire coat hangers), bend them into hooks and then use them to hang the pieces of wheel up to dry (man of the pieces have a hole thru them for assembly).

-----

So I'm guessing you have your wheel by now, would you mind letting us know what you decided to go with in the end?

Happy spinning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your Hair in a Topknot
How to Style Short Hair for Men
How to Style Your Hair in a Perfect Ponytail
How to Style Your Hair in a French Twist
How to Straighten Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...