A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Freeze a Balloon Forever? (Inflated)  (Read 1562 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Luis Roman
« on: November 23, 2011 08:58:03 AM »

Hi everyone, Glad to be here and I come bearing a tough Question.

How can I Capture/Freeze a Balloon in it's inflated state forever?

I would love to coat it with something clear, that would make the latex retain the inflated shape after I let the air out.

If not clear, even a Ceramic would be cool, then I would paint it back to the balloon original color (or any other design.)

I have thoughts I will try. Hairspray or some sort of glue for clear.

Paper Mache for non-clear and then paint it like a balloon. I don;t have much crafting experience besides things I learned back in school 15 years ago or so. Thanks so your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011 09:31:54 AM »

i'd say papier mache is probably the best bet, just using glue or whatever is unlikely to be strong enough
or plaster bandages would work, either one can be smoothed to a nice finish so long as you work with it while it's still wet
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011 01:35:20 PM »

Glassblowers, or glass artists, can create something that would look like a baloon, only it would be glass.
I am not a glassblower, so I can't tell you how to do it, but basically they take a ball of hotgls at the end of a reallly long straw and blow air into the glass so it expnds. It like the old 'fun bubble" sets you used to be able to buy inthe 1980s
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
Yizzimindi
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012 07:14:09 PM »

If you pull the knot in the balloon REALLY tight, it keeps that shape for months. I have 2 foil helium balloons that I got for my birthday 9 months ago. They don't float any more, but they are still only a little bit flat. If you want to use paper mache I suggest using a really soft paper, or using well soaked newspaper in short peices so there are no creases, and covering it with tissue paper then a layer of glue to give it a nice very smooth surface. A balloon is made of something similar to latex so would not hold its shape. If you don't mind having a balloon that is a bit smaller, you could fill it up with cold water and dip it in wax until the wax is thick enough not to break without the support of the balloon. The water stops the heat from the melted wax from popping or melting the balloon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012 07:52:02 PM »

Fill the balloon with a heavier gas, argon would be my first thought. Wouldn't exchange as easily as helium or air. The micropores in the latex are what allow the helium or air to escape.

Now to close up those pores you have the right idea, spray paint, acrylic, etc. A latex won't do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
blackabbey
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012 03:11:09 AM »

I don't know if this is relevant to what you want to achieve, but I have experiemented in the past with hot glue on balloons. Sounds a bit silly, but if you put the glue on an inflated balloon from a bit of a distance (about 20-30cm away, so it is not too hot when making contact) you can make cool squiggly lines, or even a design/picture if you have the patience. If you ensure the gaps are no bigger than 2-3cm between any two lines of glue, the balloon will retain its shape even after it is punctured. I did do this with helium quality balloons (the latex ones, not the foil ones) as I think it may need the thickness.

If there is a design on a balloon you want to keep viewable then plain/clear glue is perfect. For something a little more creative, coloured and glitter glues are ideal Smiley

Once again, not sure if this is what you are after, but it is a fun project to try anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012 12:37:07 AM »

Maybe a good coat of modge podge?   I have no idea if you could get the balloon out of it after applying that stuff. 

You might be able to get away with spreading clear 100% silicone over the surface.  It would be difficult to get a totally even coating, and it would most likely dry slightly opaque rather than clear, due to the nature of the silicone itself.  I bet that would look awesome though.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012 08:59:14 PM »

maybe fiberglass would work.  You need something that will be rigid, so when the balloon deflates, it doesn't take the covering with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012 10:50:25 AM »

I kinda think that you need to fill the inside, rather than the outside, with a resin, or plaster of paris..but even then, long term...hmm. I am not so sure if it would last...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High Resolution Photography Part 2
Stock Photography
Photography and the Green Screen
Skating and Photography
Photographing Wildlife
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...