A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stamped images and mod podge  (Read 3099 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

batimm
« on: November 22, 2011 02:49:21 PM »

Hello All,

I've been trying to find a way to seal my stamped images before adding layers of Mod Podge. I do have some Staz-on ink, which is permanent ink, but that is only in brown and black and I was hoping to make some colorful blocks with all the colors I have in ink pads. Every time I try to put Mod Podge over another ink that's not Staz-on it runs, which I understand why, it's a water-based ink.

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to seal the stamped image before sealing it with the Mod Podge.

Any ideas??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011 03:45:14 PM »

How about a light dusting of pastel fixative? (or the poor man's substitute: hairspray). I'm not speaking from experience, but from what I'd try from my stash .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
batimm
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011 06:39:35 PM »

Tried the hairspray and it didn't work. Any other ideas??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011 03:12:38 AM »

I'm sorry that didn't work. Sad

I've just got access to my stash: (Hooray for out of storage!) so I tried my (only) inkpad impress black and I don't have the same problem as you: as soon as it dries it's permanent even though it's a waterbased ink, so I can't do any of these trials for you I'm afraid.

So, my next trial would be spray glue with a good 24hrs to allow it to dry before mod podging over.
Oh, you're not trying to stamp on glossy paper are you? I can imagine that would make almost anything run.

There's got to be someone out there with real stamping experience, who can help out with this surely....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
shaoono
Shantastic!

Shantastic!=)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011 07:56:10 AM »

What are you trying to stamp onto?  Tiles? Paper? That is a big factor. What kind of "blocks" are you making with it?

I would try some clear spray paint over it. Or the spray fixatives from Craft stores that are near the Charcoal.

I have tons of colored ink I used to have smearing problems a lot of the time it's just:
how steady your hand is
how old the ink pads are
how long you let the stamp sit on the object/how hard you press down on it

It also may just be the stamps you are using.... Stamps are usually my least favorite things to use because they usually do smear if you don't do it just right lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batimm
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011 08:05:17 PM »

I'm stamping onto cardstock.

I'm taking a letter and stamping it onto a 1" x 1" square. I then place the square onto one side of a wooden cube to use as decorations. I was using Mod Podge to seal the wood and the stamp so it would last. I did end up using StazOn Permanent ink pad.

Maybe I'm not letting it dry long enough or maybe I'm working the Mod Podge too much. All of my ink pads and stamps are from the company Close To My Heart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011 12:51:03 AM »

That might be the problem. CTMH is dye base ink. It's essentially watercolors in an ink pad. I bet that is where the smearing is coming from. Do you have a heat gun? You can try heat setting it. If that does not work try Stewart Superior Palette Inks or another color o StazOn. Those are the only two brands of ink that I can think of that will not smear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
batimm
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011 08:11:39 PM »

Ok I will try. Thanks so much for the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011 02:16:23 PM »

I don't use Mod Podge, but when I do use other matte mediums (and I'm not using Staz-On) I do spray the image with a couple of VERY light coats of a sealer, letting it dry between coats. My gut says hairspray won't work in this case, you'll need the real stuff.

But for me, when in doubt, use Staz-On. As I've said before, that stuff is the Sharpie of rubber stamping. It does come in several bright colors but can be on the pricey side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
lylacfey
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011 02:21:00 AM »

I forgot all about sealer spray. I agree StazOn are Sharpies. Smiley That reminded me of a tutorial. GinaK directly colors on her stamps using Copics: http://blog.ginakdesigns.com/2008/02/27/copicanother-way.aspx

I have done this with Bics and Prisma's. I do own Copics but I had those markers out when I found the tutorial. This might help with the ModPodge.

I want to add a huge warning if you try this. Alcohol markers can make your stamps crack in time. I would only do this sparingly. I do clean my stamps with alcohol after using StazOn or Alcohol base markers. I also wash my stamps in baby shampoo afterward and give them a good coating of glycerin. I have a lot of expensive, rare or unusual stamps so I am protective of my collection.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011 02:22:08 AM by lylacfey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Five Essential Make-Up Items, from Katia Beauchamp
The Next Big Make-Up Trend, from Katia Beauchamp
Tips For Dry And Sensitive Skin In The Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
A Trick To Making Your Eye Shadow Pop
Tips For Dry And Chapped Lips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...