A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zombie Head Pinata (Small) [Tutorial]  (Read 3867 times)
Tags for this thread: zombie , pinata , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

magoshi
lalalander

::shimmering warm and bright::

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2005 01:35:35 PM »

Everyone loves zombies, right? And everyone loves pinatas, right?

So why not put the two together. (I decided to make a tutorial after posting about it on the party planning forum!)

I'm having a zombie birthday party this weekend, and I thought we needed a little fun to go along with the Pin the Limb on the Zombie game.

So, I came up with this:

He's a sassy lil fellow I like to call Jake. I'll tell you how I made Jake:

First, I blew up a medium sized standard balloon and tie it. (Now, I didn't realize at the time that the balloon had a leak, but serendipity is great and probably was what caused the awesome wrinkles in Jake's head. So, I'm not sure how to get that, but we'll get to that later.) Then, rip newspaper sheets into 2 inch wide strips. Can be whatever length, but is usually the length of the paper. Using about a cup of liquid starch in a pie tin, you dip each strip into the starch until its soaked but not enough that its falling apart. Stick it to the balloon. Keep doing it until all of the balloon except the place it is tied is covered. (This "hole" will be where you fill the pinata) I was impatient, as well, so I let it dry in front of a fan (hanging upside down over the pie tray in case it dripped, which it did) for about 1/2 an hour. After that it was still wet but not dripping or annoying. I did another layer of strips. Then dried for another 1/2 hour. Then the final third layer. After that, I hung it in the vanity area of our bathroom, letting it drip into the pie pan. It hung there for about 2 days. (I wish I had pictures of the process! dur i totally forgot!)

On the third day, I brought him out of isolation (heh) and took him to the living room with me. It was then I noticed that the balloon had leaked and had quietly gone its own way (ie. it fell on the floor as empty as they day before it was blown.). So what was left was basically a husk! This is where it gets fun.

First, decide what color you want his skin to be. Some people like flesh tones along with some grey. I chose grey because I like my zombies long dead-alive. I used acrylics (mixing black, white and blue) to make the weird blue-grey color. After painting an entire layer, i let it dry. Acrylics are fast, so I was able to keep working on it after a little while. Then I went straight into painting the face. I used the natural curves of the accidental leaking balloon as a guide and you can sort of see how i did that with the nose and the eyebrows.

I am by no means a good artists, but I did my best in drawing his face and making his mouth look like half of it had been ripped off. At least I hope I did. I used fimo (and painted it) for the eyeball that is falling out. Use a good adhesive, unlike me. My eyeball keeps falling off. I'll probably superglue it right before the party. On the top of his head, I used fimo to add details of 'brains' coming out of his skull. Poor Jake! And then i slathered on the red/blood. After all of that had dried I used acrylic glitter paint to add accents and to make him look a little wet/slimy.

After this, the fun happens. I'll be doing this last minute since i'm putting candies inside, but if you choose little gifts or toys or favors, you can do this step ahead of time.

Insert the gifts/candies/toys.
Use strong masking tape to cover up the hole. Paint over the hole to match the paint job you did. Let try.

When you get ready to hit it, I suggest a nice rope loop through the top of his skull. Just pierce through one side, like you're sewing, and go through the other and then drive through the rope or whatever you're going to use. Not as sophisticated as a regular pinata, but it will have to do. I didn't think ahead enough for that Smiley

So, that's that. It's super easy even though it takes a few days to do. Mostly it just takes patience.

I hope you all enjoyed this!

Huh Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the wild horses couldn't drag me away
honorhappy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005 08:22:05 PM »

My boyfriend is a horror and zombie freak, so I may have to use this for his 21st birthday.  I'll be looking for more inspiration from your zombie birthday, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tantrum
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005 06:00:42 PM »

yay! Zombie Brains!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
kimmykat
get out of my trash.

take it easy, your wired to detonate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005 06:09:29 PM »

cooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllll
THIS ROCKS   Logged

im going to live forever or die trying.
AradiaLane
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005 06:42:46 PM »

that's hip. i love gore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005 11:16:48 AM »

Cool!  I hope 3 layers of starch won't be as thick as 3 layers of wallpaper paste (I used that for party pinatas once and neither the kids nor the adults could break them for quite a while...ack!).

(Next time you want to attach something like the eyeball, use a 2-pt epoxy glue or maybe E-6000/Goop... if you have Gorilla Glue, that'lll hold anything but it swells and shows a bit)

I thought you were going to say you'd made the teeth from polymer clay too... very nice job!!!!

Diane B.
http://www.glassattic.com ....polymer clay "encyclopedia"
Table of Contents: http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
joeyjojo666

Long Live Godzilla.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005 10:19:38 AM »

Magoshi: God bless zombies; a highly underappreciated commodity. All I can say is ...Whoa. I am most impressed.
-Joey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my latest stuff visit my Etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=727

Also featured at:
http://www.ilikeseamonsters.com/catalog/
VaxGirl
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005 06:42:08 PM »

Ewwww!  That is truly horrible, disgusting even!  But in a good way  Grin  I don't think I could bear to smash it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Hair Combs
Learn About Hair Rollers
How to Create an Upward Roll with Curls Underneath
How to Make Your Hair grow Faster
How to Use a Hot Rod in Hair Curling
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...