A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,312
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First 550 Paracord project  (Read 9622 times)
Tags for this thread: bracelet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Goomba
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011 03:38:19 PM »

you think so? Seems pretty tight to me. There is a little in some random spots. I could see getting maybe another foot in.
Would also be nice if I didn't have such small wrists.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011 03:51:34 PM »

I know there is more room Smiley I was doing it very loose at first and the girl who showed me said "No! Tighter!" lol

The lines in the middle become parallel if they are scootched up enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
Goomba
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011 05:52:01 PM »

Alright, thanks for the tip. I'm going to do another one as soon as I can order some side release clasps, I'll for sure try getting that tighter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011 02:42:31 AM »

Ok so this might be a dumb question...especially from someone who happens to own paracord...I bought some for stringing up a hammock..but why is it considered necessary to carry..what kinds of scenarios would it be useful for..apart from climbing down a cliff or something like that..is there somethign i am missing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goomba
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011 04:15:13 AM »

Ok so this might be a dumb question...especially from someone who happens to own paracord...I bought some for stringing up a hammock..but why is it considered necessary to carry..what kinds of scenarios would it be useful for..apart from climbing down a cliff or something like that..is there somethign i am missing?

A lot of stuff..for me the draws of always having it on me in an urban setting consists of finding stuff that will not fit on my messenger bag, while my messenger bag can have stuff strapped to the outside, being able to tie it down would make it an easier carry for the walk to my destination.
....lots of tying comes to mind, securing things down...
Things break or come apart a lot, I'm not opposed to using paracord like thread.
In the end, Paracord is like ductape, there is plenty of uses for it and it's when you are not carrying it that you need it most.
like I said, I like to get myself into places and situations that I probably shouldn't. In those moments that cord could make or break what it is.
plus it just looks nice. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melby
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011 05:04:45 AM »

I know this one military-styled site that sells them (one of those $25 places Goomba was talking about!) gave some examples that people had supposedly used them for (they say if you use it you can tell them what for & they'll send you a replacement), like tourniquets, towing a vehicle, tying a grill to a car, making a shelter, and tying a boat to a dock. The point is, you never know where you'll be and what can happen that you might need it for. You might never, but it might end up being a vital resource at some point. Hence, having them in something like a bracelet, where you're not carrying around a backpack full of survival gear or anything, just a simple little thing worn on your person. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melby
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011 05:10:56 AM »

Regarding the amount of paracord - the site I mentioned^ says "We build each one with approximately 1.75 feet per every inch of wrist size. A size 7.5 will give you approximately 14 feet of paracord when unraveled." so you can compare what you're doing with the big bucks guys. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011 05:34:36 AM »

Exactly, Melby, good answer!   

Outdoorsmen of different kinds, tactical, military, hunters etc all have different paracord skills even beyond the obvious ones. If you take the cord apart the thin strands in the middle can be tied into a net to catch fish with. The internal strands have a lot of first aid uses since they are strong and have been kept mostly clean by the exterior weaving. Weapons/food gathering tools are possible with knowledge of knots. Rafts are even possible with the length in a bracelet if you lay it out a certain way.

I've learned a lot from the tactical guys that I work with. They are so creative with these things and they never attributed it to being crafty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
Melby
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011 05:47:41 AM »

Wow, rafts?? That's wild! haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goomba
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011 06:21:53 AM »

Exactly, Melby, good answer!   

Outdoorsmen of different kinds, tactical, military, hunters etc all have different paracord skills even beyond the obvious ones. If you take the cord apart the thin strands in the middle can be tied into a net to catch fish with. The internal strands have a lot of first aid uses since they are strong and have been kept mostly clean by the exterior weaving. Weapons/food gathering tools are possible with knowledge of knots. Rafts are even possible with the length in a bracelet if you lay it out a certain way.

I've learned a lot from the tactical guys that I work with. They are so creative with these things and they never attributed it to being crafty.

Good stuff.
I also think I know of the site Melby is talking about, pretty sure I came across it during my research. I would love to get more cord into my bracelet despite the size of my wrist. It would truly be more practical that way. There is probably enough in this one to do anything I would need to but, again, can never have too much cord on your person.
While I do carry a bag every where in which usually has my knife, ductape, my wallet and what have you....having access to cord in that moment that you need it without having to stop and go "it's in my bag..gotta get into my bag"
Great examples ladies. While not being a man of military background or spending a lot of time around tactical types, such examples never really come to mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Applesauce
How to Make Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash
Simple Turkey Broth Recipe
Leftover Turkey Cobb Sandwich Recipe
How to Revamp Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...