A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crochet people! help!! im about to cry :(  (Read 1027 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2011 12:33:04 PM »

i made this blanket for my niece, this is the first blanket ive every made...decided to wash it before i sent it and this is what happened...is there any way to fix it??? Sad Sad Sad i am so sad Sad

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashgraykitsune
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011 01:17:01 PM »

Oh gods, I'm so sorry for you...The only thing I can think of to fix this is to cut out the rest of the tangled white, recrochet it up to the lighter purple where it pulled out, and carefully stitch it back together and double and triple check all your knots. I know the last time this happened to me, I had to tear the whole thing out, but due to the blanket's contruction, you might be able to fix it up without too many problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011 03:06:04 PM »

Oh, no! Sad  I'm no crocheter, but stopping by to say good luck!  What a sweet present!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimadagem
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011 04:30:58 PM »

First - did you start at the center and work your way out, all in one piece? That's what it looks like and if it is, then if it were me I would rip it out down to the unraveled part and redo it. I know that would take a long time, but I'm not good with just patching spots, which I think is what ashgraykitsune is suggesting, so if you are - go for it, it will probably take less time than my way.

I don't know if that's any help so I'll try offering a couple of positive thoughts. First, now you can tell your niece not to wash it that way (it was machine-washed, yes? It looks like it got caught on something and it's so lacy I think that could happen again). And second - I am amazed that this is just your first blanket. It's just beautiful, even with the missing part.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
mama24boyz
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011 05:20:04 PM »

OK, I think what happened is that you didn't weave your ends in.  The biggest mistake as a new crocheter you can make isnot weaving in your ends.  I did it and have ruined a few blankets that way too.  you have to leave the end at least 6" or more (I do more) then get a yarn needle and weave that end back and forth through your stitches to hold it in place.  When you just knot the ends and cut they unravel like yours did.  As for repairing it, I have heard of ways to just crochet up the unraveled pieces then reattaching them, but I have no clue how you would do that, I would also say to just rip it down to where its unraveled and do it over, ESPECIALLY if your other ends were also just cut and not woven in, cuz it will just happen there again too.  Sorry about all your hard work, it looks like you did a beautiful job for your first blanket anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
kimadagem
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011 05:34:09 PM »

There is also a way to crochet the ends in as you go along; I use it a lot. I have to admit, it works better with denser patterns though; yours is fairly open so the ends might show more, which wouldn't be good. But when you get a bit more experience it might be worth trying on the less lacy patterns.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
mama24boyz
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011 08:38:10 PM »

There is also a way to crochet the ends in as you go along; I use it a lot. I have to admit, it works better with denser patterns though; yours is fairly open so the ends might show more, which wouldn't be good. But when you get a bit more experience it might be worth trying on the less lacy patterns.

Meg

I do that too but mostly with amis where the ends hide easier.  With this I think she'd have to weave the ends IN the stitches instead cuz like you said its too open.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make BBQ Lamb Kebabs and Thai Pesto
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
How to Make Chili Cinnamon Salmon with Mango Salsa Part 1/2
How to Make Parmesan Tuiles
Savoury Cheese Ball Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...