A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer theme treats  (Read 844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sleepywalkin
« on: June 16, 2005 12:11:37 PM »

Summer is officially almost here!  I'd like to bring some celebratory edible treats into work on the first day of summer.  Any ideas/recipes?  Not so much a meal, but snacks or baked goods.

I think I'll make some lemonade to bring along, too.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - oscar wilde
McAuliflower
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005 12:30:25 PM »

I just posted this in the "4 Ingredient" thread.  I think strawberries scream summer:

Strawberries and Whipped Ganache for Dipping

Place 12 ounces of  chopped chocolate into the bowl of a food processor.

Heat 12 ounces of heavy cream in a quart-sized, microwavable container and microwave for 3 to 4 minutes on high, or until it just begins to simmer; be careful not to allow cream to boil over. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes. Add 2 tsp of vanilla extract or a Tbs of your favorite liquor. Process by pulsing several times until chocolate mixture is smooth. Can be used as is. To make it softer and fluffier, allow it to come to room temperature, approximately 2 hours. Once at room temperature, place in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk on high for 2 to 3 minutes. Scoop into a bowl and serve with fresh strawberries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
sleepywalkin
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005 01:03:50 PM »

oh my, that sounds incredible.  if the farms have nice looking strawberries this weekend, i'm definitely going to pick some up.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tessorama
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005 07:18:07 AM »

watermelon makes me think of summer, you could make a watermelon ice cream cake (too hard??) well you could ice
a cake like a watermelon!  or a fruit salad, you use a watermelon(half) and make your fruit salad and then put it in there (it should just be the rind no pulpy stuff) and you could make a decorative edge on the top.             i dunno if this is what you're looking for! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gierma
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005 07:32:13 AM »

Traditional Swedish summer cake...Makes me think of summer.

This is how it goes.

You take a normal sponge cake and divide it in 3 layers. So that you have 3 round ( if your cake is round) approx 1.5 cm thick bases.

Start with base 1.
1. Drizzle a little bit of Cordial on your base to keep if from getting really dry. Just a table spoon or two.
2. Mush a banana on a plate untill it becomes like a banana pure/paste. Spread Banana paste ontop of your base.
3. Put a thin layer of wipped cream on top of your banan mush.

Base 2.
1. Drizzle base as above.
2. Take Fresh or Defrosted Raspberries ( or jam, that is cheaper, but with rasperries taste nicer), and muck them togehter on a plate, so they get mushy. Spread thick layer on your base. Put Cream or vanilla cream on top.

Base 3. Put the top layer on ( do NOT drizzle) . Now, Put Whipped cream all over the top base and all over the sides, in a nice fashion. The decorate the whole cake with Strawberries. I usualy decorate the top and the sides

I'ts the loveliest cake ever, and it looks like a jewell on the table becuse of all the fruits...It does prefer to be placed in a col place, because of all the fresh cream.

it's not healthy...But sooo nice

Here is a picture
http://www.svd.se/statiskt/mat_och_dryck/kokboken/efter/000518_Jordgubbstarta.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sleepywalkin
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005 08:06:49 AM »

ooh more great ideas. 

the fruit salad might work well.  i never thought of putting it in the actual watermelon.

the swedish cake sounds fantastic.  sounds like a bit more effort than i'm willing to put forth for my coworkers, but i'd love to make this for my family.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hankpiece
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005 11:48:06 AM »

Best summertime drink ever? The Arnold Palmer!

Half iced-tea, half lemonade.

Seriously, on a hot day your coworkers will love this beverage, especially if you're using real homemade lemonade instead of store bought.

Also, because it's only half lemonade, that's half as much work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Single Crochet Stitches
How to Crochet a Purse
How to Recycle Household Items Into Handmade Ornaments
How to Sew a Button By Hand
How to Crochet: Body Positions and Holding Yarn
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...