A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Greek Dolmas Recipe  (Read 2920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

natalex
Tutorial Contributor

Gotta find something to do up here in Alaska

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2011 05:18:24 PM »

I've never been a big fan of those little Greek treats wrapped in grape leaves known as dolmas, or dolmades, until recently. My tastes must be changing now that I'm pregnant! But after attending a wedding reception last week and downing about a dozen of them, I thought I should try making them myself.

They were a lot of fun to make and they were so tasty that I had them for dinner instead of as an appetizer.

The grape leaves were a challenge to find, but eventually I spotted them in the aisle with the jars of roasted red peppers. 

This recipe makes about 36 dolmas. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1, 8-oz. jar of grape leaves, drained
1 onion, grated
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 cup of raw white rice
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
2+ cups water, divided
1/2 cup golden raisins, chopped
1/2 pine nuts
1/2 finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
several dashes of allspice, to taste
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, or to taste
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
2 lemons, juiced and sliced (slice them after juicing)

Directions:
For the filling, heat a large saute pan with 1/4 cup of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and zest and cook, stirring once in a while, for 10 minutes. Add the rice, pine nuts and raisins and stir so that the rice is thoroughly coated in oil. Cook for 2 minutes then add 1 cup of water. Stir rice frequently and cook for 10 minutes so rice absorbs the water. If the water evaporates before this time is up, just add a bit more water.

Transfer mixture to a bowl and combine with the parsley, mint, salt, pepper, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste mixture and make sure you like the flavor. Let it cool.

While this cools, prepare the grape leaves by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Lay the grape leaves flat and set into the pot. Cover and return to a boil, then turn off the heat and let the pot sit for ten minutes. Drain and set the leaves in a bowl of cold water until you're ready to fill them.

Take a dutch oven and put a plate inside of it. Cover the plate with grape leaves that have tears or holes in them. This will prevent the dolmas from burning while you're boiling them.

Now it's time to make your dolmas.

First, lay out a leaf veiny-side upward and trim away any of the stem.

Place about a tablespoon of filling at the base of the leaf where you trimmed the stem. Pack it with your fingers so it's in a little mound.

Fold up the right corner of the leaf over the filling, then fold up the left leaf. Fold in the sides and roll it up!

Place dolma seam-side down in the dutch oven. Pack them in really tight and when you run out of room, cover with a layer of grape leaves and start a new layer of dolmas.

When you've run out of filling, used up your grape leaves or run out of space in your pot, pour 1/4 cup of olive oil, lemon juice and about a cup of water over the dolmas. Fill the pot with water until it reaches halfway up the top layer of dolmas. Take your lemon slices and fit them in between and on top of the dolmas. Place a plate upside-down on top of your dolmas and if you have space, place another plate right-side up on that one. This will weigh down the dolmas so they don't unwrap while they boil.

Place the lid on top and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 40 minutes. Test a dolma. If the rice is still firm, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or so.

Enjoy with plain Greek yogurt!

For more photos and information, visit my blog post at http://knitnatak.blogspot.com/2011/11/greek-dolmades.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my cooking and craft blog: www.knitnatak.blogs pot.com
Mantis
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011 05:45:09 PM »

Ooh, those look delicious! Smiley Thanks for posting! I'd love to try making those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade Art & Oddities - SLINKYRA.COM
Art Prints - SOCIETY6.COM/SLINKYRA
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011 06:19:23 PM »

I'm tempted to try these! Thanks for sharing! Good luck with those cravings...I remember them well!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
PeachieClean
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011 06:20:02 PM »

I had these once in 6th grade and could never find a recipe that sounded right, thank you so much for posting this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
americanvalkyrie
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011 08:13:53 PM »

Thanks so much for the recipe!  I love dolmas and have always wanted to make these for my husband.  About how many grape leaves come in a can?  Did you have any problem with them tearing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The difference between an artist and a not-artist?  Artists do it.  Not-artists never try.
natalex
Tutorial Contributor

Gotta find something to do up here in Alaska

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011 10:39:05 PM »

Thanks so much for the recipe!  I love dolmas and have always wanted to make these for my husband.  About how many grape leaves come in a can?  Did you have any problem with them tearing?

I've made them twice. The first time I only had one option for the grape leaves at the store I went to. They were about $5.50 for the jar. There must have been about 40 or so leaves, uniformly sized and not a lot of tears or holes. The second time I made them I had two options of grape leaves. I went with the least expensive kind just to see how they were. They were all different sizes and there were lots of tears and holes. My conclusion is to buy the classier looking ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my cooking and craft blog: www.knitnatak.blogs pot.com
Alchamy513
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Watson's Warriors

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011 07:45:09 AM »

Mmm... these are my favorite thing ever. I must make them. Thank you so much for posting the recipe, they look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes! : Avengers Assemble!
My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft a Button Brooch
How to Craft Duct Tape Fabric
How to Craft Apple Balloons
How to Craft Duct Tape Flip-Flops
How to Craft Apple Stamps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...