A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
866 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dorothy's Ruby Slippers  (Read 1539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BenaeQuee
Sewing Machine

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2011 10:00:27 AM »

I made these to go with my Dorothy costume.  I sewed all the sequins on one at a time in a fishscale type layout.  I tried to follow the way the originals were sequined as much as possible.

Materials:
100 gram pack of 5mm Flat Transparent Ruby Sequins
Red Thread
French Heeled shoes (from ebay)
Red Fabric
e6000 glue

I searched high and low for the correct sequins on a single row trim, but all I ever found were the uber shiny metallic ones (not accurate).  I also didn't feel like paying $35 for only 5000 sequins from Schrum Studios.  I spent about 3 hours online searching for the same sequins they sold, and found a supplier with 14,000 for about $13!  SCORE!  I then checked eBay for another 2 hours for a good base shoe.  It had to have a french heel and had to be comfy.  I managed to find a brand new pair of Aerosoles (SO comfy!) for about $20 - double score!  Sure my friends asked why I didn't just buy pre-made ones, or cover them in glitter, or just glue sequins on... because it doesn't look accurate and would look cheap Smiley  I figure if I'm making the dress, I'm making the shoes to match.
I had red fabric on hand already and after sanding the pleather shoe, I glued the edges down and pinned it as I went.  I let it sit for 2 days before taking the pins out and gluing down the inside edges.  The heel tip was removed, the fabric stretched over and stitched in place, and the heel hammered back on securely.
I started by stitching a line down the center of the toe as a guide for the sequins.   I then stitched each sequin down one at a time, knotting at the beginning and end of each row for a secure hold.  This way if a thread snags/snaps, I only lose one tiny row of sequins and not the whole shoe.  The bottom and top edges of the fabric on the shoe were also sewn through the shoe body for extra hold.  I want these to last just as long as the original ruby slippers!
The bows were really last minute and I didn't get a chance to take pictures as I went because I was rushed and had to use what I had on hand.  I will most likely remake them by casting my own gems in the correct cut and size, but these work for now.  I used craft foam as a base and hot glued matching fabric on top and around.  I "made" my own gems by taking pink ones I had on hand and giving them a thin layer of red nail polish lol.  I then used a mix of SS20 and SS16 Siam Swarovski rhinestones around the edges of the bows.  I also glued ruby colored bugle beads to the inside, I would have stitched them on, but again - rushed.  The bows were them whip stitched to the shoe along the edges.  I will be able to easily remove them when I'm ready to remake them.
I wore these in the NYC Halloween parade and they last perfectly through skipping down 6th ave and walking around downtown with my friends.  I have them on display in my living room with my costuming trophies Cheesy

Shoes before and after fabric cover

Bow Materials (minus fabric and foam)

Completed Shoes, ready for the Yellow Brick Road!

My Making of Page
http://imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/movietvartcostumes/dorothygale
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012 09:19:25 AM by BenaeQuee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop for geek chic goodies!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BenaeQuee
Brackish Potato
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011 10:07:56 AM »

Such dedication! These are fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists.

"Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss
charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011 12:57:29 PM »

Holy bananas, that's an incredible amount of work. I doth my hat to thee. And so much cuter than their humble black 'practical shoe' beginnings. Aerosoles are comfy indeed, but they have been beaten with the ugly stick... Excellent work, I am so impressed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Karence
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011 03:53:30 PM »

Those are adorable! They started out as such a dull matronly shoe and with an impressive amount of effort are absolutely  adorable.  Great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011 06:32:42 PM »

Fantastic work! Such a labor of love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize a T-Shirt
How to Make Ribbon Rose Toppers for the Holidays
Turning Gingerbread Cookies Into Tree Ornaments
How to Make a Photo Memory Box
How to Make Leaf Print Holiday Wrapping Paper
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...