A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toy Soldier with instructions/diagram added  (Read 2366 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas , toy_soldier , tutorial , recycle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2011 10:08:49 PM »

A toy soldier I created to stand guard at my front door during the Holidays.  Surprisingly, he's made from mostly castoffs.  Can you find these items?

1 Paper Ice cream container
2 Gift wrap cores
2 Paper towel cores
1 Ribbon spool
1 two liter soda bottle
1/2 Cork
3 paper mache eggs
(Actually there are 5 eggs.  His feet are flat paper mache eggs)

With a bit of paint, trims, buttons, fur & feathers I transformed those throwaways into a Christmas decoration who stands about 2 ft. tall.

Thank you.  I'm happy that some of you like my little guy enough to want one.  Hopefully my instructions will help.  Unfortunately, I no gave him to my sister & she's a thousand miles from here so I can't give exact measurements.

Carefully clean & thoroughly dry the ice cream container.  Place it open end up on a table & stand the 2 paper towel cores at his sides.  This is so his shoulders will be straight.  Hot glue the cores to his sides about 2/3 of the way.  Leave the area at his waist so  you can slip the belt between his arms & body later.

While he's still upside down, place him on a piece of posterboard, cereal box, heavy cardstock or other very light weight cardboard.  Draw around all 3 pieces to make a single piece to cover his shoulders.  Follow the dotted lines on diagram A to fill in the area where the cores meet the ice cream container.Cut this piece out & glue it to the top of the ice cream container & his shoulders.  I don't know how long his arms are but you can cut them to any length you like.  I prefer shorter body & arms, & long legs.

Paint the entire piece red---I used acrylic but spray paint will work too.

I don't know if they still sell the flat, paper mache egg shapes but if you can t find them you can cut them out of  a foam core board or matboard.  Glue them to the bottom of the gift cores & paint them black.  Adjust his height---the cores will reach all the way to his shoulders.  You'll have to balance him on his feet.  Mine stood on his own when the gift wrap cores were placed apart & all the way to the back of the ice cream container so I hot glued them where they touched the back of the bucket, as well as around the top of the cores where they touched his shoulders.

Take the flat sides off of the ribbon spool so you have only a cardboard ring left.  Paint it black & glue it to the center of the ice cream container for his collar/neck.  Again, I can't give measurements for the paper mache eggs so you'll have to see which fits & looks best.  The diameter of his head should be about the same as the diameter of the soda bottle---perhaps a bit larger.

Use a sharp knife to cut a wine cork diagonally top to bottom & glue it on for his nose filling in any gaps with glue.  Paint his face & hands pink/flesh tone.  You can finish his face however you choose.  I used an ice pick to poke holes & glued purchased eyes into the holes.  Marker for his mouth & pink blush for his cheeks.  Glue his head & hands in place.

Cut enough of the top off of a 2 liter soda bottle so it will come down over the head.  Cut out the front section so it fits just above his eyebrows & in front of his ears.  Cover it with faux fur.  It will probably have to be done with several pieces of fur cut, fitted & hot glued on.  Feather glued on & 2 buttons glued on with a chain draped between.

You can draw his chinstrap on or glue on a piece of cording, shoelace, ribbon, etc. so it extends under the edges of his hat.

I added gold fringe to his shoulders & gold braid to his collar, epaulets, cuffs & between his buttons.  Also a stripe down the side of his legs.  I either cut the backs from the buttons with a wire cutters or poked holes with an ice pick to accommodate the shanks.  (Can't remember which)

His belt is a white faux leather with an old shoe buckle, glued in place.

I hope I've covered everything.  Let me know if you have any further questions & be sure to post photos if you make him.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011 05:51:03 PM by Jenxx - Reason: instructions/diagram added » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011 12:30:04 AM »

He's brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011 01:00:45 AM »

Really lovely and festive. Thank you for letting us know what he is made of too.  I am sure lots of people will want to do something similar for Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
margiej
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011 01:29:04 AM »

Good Job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011 07:11:00 AM »

Thanks everyone for checking him out.  If anyone truly wants to make one, I can always offer more detailed instructions.  He isn't at all difficult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pearljam94
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011 11:12:13 AM »

Cool! I love the toy soldier...they are my fave!!! Good Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Pearljam94*
anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011 09:27:52 AM »

I love the toy soldier.Would you do a tute please,pretty please with sprinkles.I would love to make one of these for some friends of mine. Smiley.Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011 10:39:50 AM »

This is so cool!  You made a really amazing little dude out of basically trash.  Question, though--is he 2" or 2'?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011 08:16:34 PM »

This is so cool!  You made a really amazing little dude out of basically trash.  Question, though--is he 2" or 2'?

Typo---He's about 2 ft tall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013 08:28:13 AM »

so adorable...and I love that he's created with reused items.
Kiss thanks for tute! Grin

~*pinned to Craftster's Christmas Crafting Pinterest Board*~
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013 08:29:11 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alan Goldsher Reveals His Previous Occupation
Meet Bishop Carlton D. Pearson
Peter Lerangis Reveals His Previous Occupations
Brian Billick Reveals His Motto
Laurie Beth Jones Talks About Jesus Career Counselor
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...