A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Food Gifts - What are You Going to Gift?  (Read 7122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2011 06:08:37 PM »

This year I am once again gifting friends homemade yummies. Last year I made my Chinese 5 Spice Powder in a lovely red jar with recipes including Chinese Five Spice Powder Oatmeal cookies.  Everyone else got cookies.

This year I am planning on making 6 traditional Pannetone cakes and granola.  The granola is going in glass juice bottles like this one

Though I clearly need to spruce it up!  Also you can find my granola recipe here http://chicaenglish.blogspot.com/2011/10/granola-goodness-recipe.html

So what are you planning on making to give as edible gifts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helena Puck
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011 06:42:50 PM »

This year, I picked up this book called The Mason Jar Nuts to Soup Cookbook. In it, there are recipes for mixes for desserts, breads, drinks, nuts/snack mixes, and soups to put in a pint or quart jars.

Using that cookbook, I'm making a couple of soups for each family. I found a soup recipe online and made a mix for a couple sets of grandparents and they raved about it. I always have trouble getting things for people who always tell you, "We don't need anything." And, when you are worried about people having too much sweets during the holidays or not knowing people's diets, you can't go wrong with a good soup. But I would mind trying out your granola recipe also, especially when I'm unsure about a person's diet.

I also make this neat spiced tea mix which I discovered at a church bazaar; it's made from a combination of instant tea, tang, and other spices- ginger, nutmeg that sort of thing. I love it myself.

I picked up a few cookie tins also because I always make my husband's grandmother oatmeal cookies. She is the one who normally bakes for everyone and it's always their favorites, never her own- oatmeal cookies.

I also make a few other favorites like my triple chocolate cookies, gingerbread (because I love gingerbread and especially now that the boys can help), and sugar cookies. My husband always makes fudge.

I hope that during the break, I can try out a few candy recipes since I've never tried making candy. I'd love to try making those cake pops or peppermint bark.

In the past, I've made zucchini bread, beer cheese, and given out handmade preserves from the local orchard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
Subee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011 06:55:14 PM »

Every year I give home-made caramels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love nonsense - it wakes up the brain cells!

Prewitt Woods
https://www.facebook.com/PrewittWoods
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011 06:57:43 PM »

I'm making caramels, home made Reese cups and a truck load of different cookies. I've been pinning cookie recipes for a month just for this purpose. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Momof2!
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011 07:02:18 PM »

I make a variety of cookies every year, along with chocolate covered cherries, chocolate covered peanut butter balls, cheese straws, peppermint bark, white chocolate covered pretzels, "haystacks", several types of fudge, and probably some other stuff I'm sure I can't remember. I was hoping to find some different things this year. Maybe some "bark" type candy. I would like to try making caramel corn, or maybe hmmm I don't know. Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jl409
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011 08:14:49 PM »

I love making homemade pumpkin bread and white trash.  White trash: white chocolate melted and mixed with pretzels, wheat chex, corn chex, rice chex, cheerios, peanuts, and m&ms.  It is highly addictive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Linnybelle
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011 08:33:29 PM »

Momof2!:  A great bark recipe I found last year was a white chocolate bark with dried cranberries and pistachios.  Just melt, mix, pour, and harden.  It was so fantastic!

I'm planning on making a white chocolate orange fudge and hot chocolate on a stick for gifts, along with my normal family recipes, and some other things, I'm sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
ivoryh1632
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011 10:54:13 PM »

I make a variety of cookies every year, along with chocolate covered cherries, chocolate covered peanut butter balls, cheese straws, peppermint bark, white chocolate covered pretzels, "haystacks", several types of fudge, and probably some other stuff I'm sure I can't remember. I was hoping to find some different things this year. Maybe some "bark" type candy. I would like to try making caramel corn, or maybe hmmm I don't know. Any ideas?

Super easy/quick carmel corn recipie and sooooooo yummy http://allrecipes.com/recipe/microwave-caramel-popcorn/ the hardest part is finding a grocery store that still uses paper bags to make it in. I use re-usable bags for my shopping but when I do come across a store that uses paper bags I always grab a handfull to stash for when I want carmel corn. And if you don't have plain popcorn, I have made this with microwave popcorn and it turns out fine, just use the light butter kind otherwise you can taste the butter under-tones in the carmel corn, not necessarily bad, just not the same.

I've actually been trying to figure out what to make this year. I think I need to narrow down who I'm going to make stuff for first. Last year I made hot chocolate on a stick which was a hit with everyone so I think I'm going to do that again and try to do some flavored chocolates. I also did carmel for the first time last year and may have accidently ate half the batch before I packaged it up  Wink so I can't wait to do that again. My mom's got some standard family favorites as far as fudges and such go but I'm always looking for something new to make.

I really like Helena Puck's idea of doing soup mixes, I may have to look up some recipes and do a couple of those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imrahil
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011 03:40:47 AM »

I like to give away homemade crisp bread. This year I'm making some for some people who've been very helpful around the horses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeachieClean
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011 02:40:49 AM »

I don't know everything for sure, but I know some things I want to make.

Sugar cookies topped with brown sugar
Chocolate chip cookies
Snickerdoodles
Sugar cookies to be iced
At least one kind of "bark" (I'm thinking peppermint for sure, maybe others.)
And at least one kind of fruit bread (Probably pumpkin, but maybe others too.)

A potato soup mix in a jar for my stepmom (She's doing frozen dinners with her friends, so I figured my soup in a jar would sorta fit in)

And other non-food things.  (I've got wall pockets, a purse, a quilt and a scarf so far.)

I've got some of the sugar cookies made except for baking.  I made the dough, shaped it, froze it on a cookie sheet and put it all in a bag.  I find that the hardest part of holiday baking is actually mixing everything up, and cleaning up after so slowly making the doughs and things and freezing it, to be baked later really makes things easier on me.  Plus, I can always just bake a few at pretty much any time for warm, fresh cookies. =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Origami Heart
How to Do a Box Origami
How to Learn Easy Origami
How to Make a Paper Origami Cube
How to Make Origami Balloon
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...